Kate Mulgrew's decision to not have a romance

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by RB_Kandy, Sep 23, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Much as I'd love Kate to wear flats the heels add to how she carries herself and I think flats + the dress might be dangerously frumpy.

The exclusive naked rights would be implied by the Fair Haven program. He seems upstanding so he is upstanding. The wanton will be equally cliched (no doubt Father EMH will hear their confessions).

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Until Kathy locked his program, a less ethical bubble could have been created around his program for one crewman to take advantage which no one, including Michael, after the fact would be none the wiser thereof.

Chakotay for instance would want to see what the big deal was.

3. teacake

This is not a pretty picture.

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe that's how Seven died in the Endgame timeline. Janeway decided she wanted Chakotay. :p

5. teacake

*cough* I thought Chakotay was the wife.

6. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Chako is a droid.

7. Guy Gardener

No, he's annoyed.

8. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

He is a droid that has an annoyed look.

9. Guy Gardener

20 years after the Outrageous Okana: STILL NOT FUNNY.

10. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

Any way you cut it, she got rid of that wife so she go after him .

There was something about the wife that bothered her--To Janeway, they're just holograms, right? Why not just recreat the character in a totally different scenario, different planet, whatever?

Nope, she kept the character and the scenario and erased the wife-- she wanted something the man had, he was attached, she had to get rid of--or work around the wife.

Isn't that the standard method behind cheating?

It would have been interesting if the story had it that the characters couldn't be erased, and Janeway had to deal with here and if she went ahead with it.

11. Guy Gardener

And Janeway had to wear the scarlet letter?

12. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

Assuming she got caught. That would be embarrassing. :lol:

It is weird how 24th trek characters loved to have holodeck fantasies set in old times.

Janeway wanted a stud-- with fringe benefits.

She represented the female view of creating a hot sexual fantasy.

Like as if a male were to create a beautiful, full figured woman who was nice and open minded and accepting--who could kick arse, and was a sword master. The whole super fantasy thing.

It was all gonna lead to the sex. The end product. the big bang.

She wasn't putting in all that effort to trade recipes in the end.

13. Guy Gardener

Kim got out witted by a holographic Windsurfing instructor.

He had a good cry, and moped to all his friends about how he couldn't seal the deal.

Did he even consider rewriting her personality?

14. teacake

No, because he is a wuss.

OR maybe he went back to that program when no one else was in it so he could rewrite her without his friends seeing.

15. teacake

Well the thing is the holoprogram was left open to tweaking by the players. It's possible Tom Paris would be put out by his village being altered by someone else but he didn't lock it down (Janeway just walks in and adjusts it, she doesn't have to over ride anything). So right away it's open to people's tweaks. As I already said if her fantasy was about cheating she would have left the wife in there snuck around behind her back.

But I think you are just enjoying casting Janeway as a cheater so you don't care about the facts.

16. BirdInJetstream

BirdInJetstream Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Maybe this is a completely wrong observation on my side, but I always found that Janeway had the strongest sexual tension with Kashyk. He was an asshole and betrayed (tried so) her and her crew. No doubts about that. But he was also very cunning, witty and an intellectual challenge. I can't imagine that she would want someone (for a relationship) who isn't at least an equal to her intellectually.

17. teacake

She was seducing Kashyk to save her crew. So she had her "well played" seduction powers at maximum level, hence the tension.

And yes I agree about the intellect, of course she had to tweak Sullivan. She may have found him attractive at first but eventually he would have said something quite parochial and it would have been a cold bucket on her ardor.

Janeway's personal log on Fair Haven:

"I met an interesting man there, and for a while I almost forgot he was a hologram. We weren't exactly compatible, but then again, Mister Paris didn't programme him to my specifications. "

18. Guy Gardener

You mean after the hologram fell for Tuvok, or after we found out that the hologram was really a bored alien pretending to be a hologram, so that she could have a sexcation?

Kim also spent days trying to kiss that fairhaven girl who transformed into a cow.

You would think there would be rules against sex during the communal programs when groups are in the holodeck together?

Or did Kathryn kick everyone out before she took her briefs off?

Even if Security were'nt "filming" kathy, what Michael did to her was in the memory cashe for instant replay at any time, and you could work out what the Captain was doing from where and how Michael was shagging negative space.

19. teacake

A locked door is a locked door even on the holodeck. If someone needs to find Janeway they will comm her, not go looking physically through Fair Haven. I don't think the inn would have been the place though, too much likelihood one of the holograms would need Sullivan for some inn business and come calling upstairs, interrupting things. I don't think she would have had the holodeck to herself, the crew is there because they are all stressed out about something and if she put a Do Not Disturb sign on the holodeck door it would mean some would miss their play day because they would be back at work by the time she left.

And I'm sure she deleted the cache of her activities.. though there must be some privacy measures in place for people using the holodeck for sex.

20. BirdInJetstream

BirdInJetstream Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Can't she simply run it in her private holodeck time? Without making public what she is actually running that is...