Season 3 Blu-Ray: December 15

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

So sayeth this.

Also on that same date a 'complete series' Blu-Ray collection will come out. However it is just a shrinkwrap of the three existing boxes. No new actual packaging.

2. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wouldn't it be outstanding if the "Where No Fan Has Gone Before: the restored, unaired, alternate pilot episode" was actually the original cut of WNMHGB? I would certainly enjoy that, yes indeedy.

It is strange how they don't actually mention "The Cage" specifically though...

3. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

^^^^

I agree with you.

Why would they confuse the issue by referring to the uncut version of 'The Cage' by a title that refers to the SECOND PILOT ???

That's either really bad thinking on their part OR a real bonanza of a collector's item for the fans.

Hope we find out real soon!!

4. Mr. Laser Beam

The Digital Bits seems to think it is...

5. KirkSpockTOSFan

KirkSpockTOSFan Captain Captain

Cool, I cant wait for that season to come out! I thought Season 3 wouldnt come out until the begaing of the new year.But the sooner the better. Anyways I have seaon 1 and plan getting Season 2, tommorow. I'm glad it wont be a long wait for Season 3 to come out like Season 2. Anyways I'll get Season 3 as well once it comes out. I wonder if they will release a blu ray collection of the Animaited Series. I think they should, since it is part of TOS crew. I also like to see blu ray versions of TNG series as well. I guess we have to wait and see.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

I haven't opened my TOS S2 set yet, although if "More Tribbles, More Troubles" is indeed in HD, then that might be possible.

That, OTOH, will NOT be possible. Not without redoing all the editing and effects (which were done on videotape) from scratch.

The next Trek series to come out on Blu-Ray will probably be Enterprise, which was made from the get-go to be airable in HD.

7. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

Update from Bill at the Digital Bits:

8. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

WOW!!!! Just WOW!!!!

That is dynamite news--just fantastic. They're throwing in the alternate cut of WNMHGB ?!?
    I am so happy and hats off to them!!!

And by "reassembled original cut of the Cage"-----does that mean a version that is longer than any other commercially available cut of the Cage???

The old versions available up till now are the Balck & white/color version (sometimes with Roddenberry's intro & extro AND the all-color version. Both of these run 64 minutes (not including the Roddenberry parts)

Are you saying (or hearing) that ANOTHER version will be included???
    If that's true, I don't think I can wait for Dec 15---I might just bust into some warehouse holding the set before the release date!!!

9. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I first have to buy S2 before the funds get allocated for S3.

10. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So we've got 24 episodes in Season 3. Seamless branching to original and remastered versions. Usual extras brought over from previous DVD release. Then there's 'The Cage' as a restored version also in two forms. On top of that, the 1986 recontructed B&W/Colour edition with Roddenberry intro and last word.

Now... *very excited if confirmed* the never before officially released 'Where No Man Has Gone Before' 2nd Pilot print? What the one with those Quinn Martin-style opening captions? Completely restored to better than new condition? Amazing!

Now this would bring the disc count up to the exact same available as S1... with little room to spare, if I'm not mistaken. Probably taken up by that Comic Con and roundtable material.

I would be really pushing my luck, sounding dead ungrateful, if I moaned they didn't include ENT 'In A Mirror, Darkly I & II' in full 1080p as an extra to 'The Tholian Web' (also to promote whenever CBS plan to release the next logical Trek on Blu ray)! :p

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  11. Mr. Laser Beam

Oh man, that Quinn Martin stuff was second to none. I wish we had shows like that now.

like the Police Squad! version... "Act II: Bruté" :guffaw:

12. Ssosmcin

Fracking awesome! The whole "Where No Fan Has Gone Before" bit raised the suspicion in my mind, but I never thought they'd ever actually do it. Amazing!

13. Trekfan21

Trekfan21 Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, that announcement really is a nice and unexpected surprise. This version of WNMHGB, and the blooper reel, were the only remaining things I've seen from that period that have not been officially released. This is a very exciting development, and a great Christmas present for the fans.

Of course, my dream release would be one with the original bumpers, etc...similar to the Twilight Zone Definitive Collection. I love sitting down and watching that. Its as close as I'll ever get to see the program as initially aired.

14. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

so, pre-order on amazon yet?

15. Mr. Laser Beam

"Bumpers"? :confused:

16. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Commercial bumpers.

That might be fun to see for TOS. Funny, I was just thinking the other day how nice it is to watch my TNG dvds without the bumpers. I used to hate them on my home-taped eps.

17. Ssosmcin

Well, TNG had them for every - single - act break. They were annoying. Network shows generally had them at the halfway point ("We will continue following station identification"), then one coming back in from the break. Also you'd get a logog following the opening credits ("brought to you by") and one at the end - two if they did one before previews. They were a real staple of pre-80's TV. I really wish classic shows would keep them on DVD, at the very least in seamless branching. Including things like "In Color!" and so on. The Twilight Zone DVDs are perfect and really capture the feel of the era. They even have quick promos for shows which had run on CBS at that point between the ened theme and the Production Company billboard. Great stuff.

18. Joanna McCoy-Kirk

Joanna McCoy-Kirk Commodore Commodore

19. ahkyahnan

ahkyahnan Captain Captain

I love those kind of things too. The recently released early (pre-Barnabas) episodes of Dark Shadows have the original voiceovers during the closing credits. It's interesting because they always announce what big show is going to be on that evening, and it's usually something I've never heard of...something that maybe only ran one season but was their big news at the time. I'll go look them up at Wiki later. And at the very beginning they have the slateboard showing the VR and Original Air dates.

During one week of episodes, then President Lyndon Johnson's daughter was getting married. The voiceovers for that week advised viewers to tune into ABC that Saturday for complete wedding coverage "in glorious color!" Several scenes that week took place in the Collinsport police constable's office, and for that week only in the background you could see a framed photo of President Johnson hanging on the wall. Next week it was gone. Thought that was a neat touch for a 60's serial.

I agree, those sort of things are great for 'transporting' you back to that era.

Mark

20. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

To make it even more similar to TZ, they could dig up old footage of Shatner and Nimoy peddling cigarrettes a la Serling in TZ season two. It could be like this:

Kirk: That was certainly a tough scrape we found ourselves in this week, wouldn't you say, Mister Spock?

Spock: Most assuredly, Captain.

Kirk: Well after this little adventure, I need to unwind.

McCoy: Try these, Jim. Kingston Lights. Doctor's orders.

Spock: Captain, I must agree with the doctor. Kingston Lights are the logical choice for great tasting cigarrettes.

All three light up.

Kirk: These taste wonderful, Bones. You know something?

McCoy: What's that?

Kirk: I think I'm ready for our next adventure.

Cut to preview for next week's episode...