Trek Literature in Abrams Universe.

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by serenitytrek1, Sep 7, 2013.

1. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Does anyone know when we will see and read a novel set in JJ Abrams Trek universe?

I am kind of disappointed that some of the novels including star fleet academy was cancelled earlier this year.

Whatculture seems to feel my pain. They listed 4 unpublished literature books set in Abram's Universe that could have inspired a movie.

http://whatculture.com/film/6-star-trek-tie-in-novels-that-shouldve-been-films.php/7

Which only makes me wonder why the books were cancelled in the first place...sigh.:(

2. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Some of the authors on this board have stated that at this point the Abramsverse novels, as they remember them, would need to be extensively re-written to fit into the continuity with "Into Darkness". So it seems that we won't be seeing any novels Neil after J.J Abrams is no longer in control.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I don't see how that first sentence leads into the second. Just because the specific novels we wrote aren't compatible with STID, that doesn't mean there couldn't be new Abramsverse novels commissioned if the interested parties were willing.

4. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

My guess would be that we probably won't see any Abrams-verse novels until after the third movie, at this point.

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  6. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Geeze, that article is fanboy histrionics at their worst.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The novels were cancelled on orders from Bad Robot, weren't they? So if Abrams abdicates, they may someday see the light of day.

8. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Presumably. It might have been Orci and Kurtzman who did it though, which seems likely after Orci's meltdown on TrekMovie. I don't get the feeling that he'd accept any AbramsTrek project he wasn't in on from the start, even if all he did was okay the idea.

9. Christopher

We don't know that. There are a lot of speculations about what happened, but nothing definite.

Except at least a couple of them would no longer fit with screen canon, so they'd have to be heavily rewritten at the very least.

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC, Orci denied all knowledge of the cancellation on Trekmovie.com when it happened, saying he was looking forward to reading them.

I suspect the reason is THIS, or at least some snippet of it. TOS novels are Pocket's biggest sellers, and saying adios to those "sure thing" profits in favour of X number of years writing nuTrek novels instead probably did not thrill them.

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

He recommends that cerain novels replace the movies that were made based only on the blurbs?

And suggests that "no one besides the editors at Pocket Books, the guys at Bad Robot, and the authors have read them."

Since Orci & Kurtzman were busy writing STiD - and suggesting what TOS episodes could be featured in the IDW comics - I doubt they had time to read four whole novel manuscripts.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Really?

If I put my mind to it I can read a novel in four or so hours. Now what they would be doing would be a bit more extensive, with noting what changes need to be made. But I don't think it would be so much so that they couldn't handle it.

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Depends on the book . . . and what your schedule is like. It recently took me a week to finish reading a ms. because I was reading it very closely and taking copious notes. And I'm currently juggling multiple writing and editing projects, so reading anything longer than a comic book is not really an option at the moment.

It's sometimes not so much a case of putting one mind's to it, but as having more pressing matters (and deadlines!) on your slate. And Works-in-Progress are always going to take priority.

Plus, after you've put in a full day working on Star Trek, the last thing you might want to do is read more Trek . . . especially if your spouse, friends, family, and pets want some of your attention, too!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  14. Christopher

"The guys at Bad Robot" does not mean Kurtzman and Orci. K&O don't even work for Bad Robot -- they have their own distinct, eponymous production company now. Bad Robot is Abrams, Burk, and their employees, including a publicity/marketing department that's presumably responsible for reading and approving tie-ins.

Besides, there were four years between the two movies, and our novels came fairly early in that span. So it's possible they could've found the time. Whether that's relevant to the question of Bad Robot's or CBS's decisions is unknown, though.

15. Angstromdweller

Angstromdweller Lieutenant Red Shirt

Well, that's you.

I've recently finished a master's degree in physics, do qualify for a Mensa membership, but the speed with which I read is just frustratingly slow.

It takes me maybe 20 hours to get through the average trek novel, and usually I manage to get through 15-20 novels per year in total. Four more would be a significant undertaking.

Skill and success doesn't necessarily mean that all abilities are equally gifted. Granted, one may be inclined to think that writers are decent readers in general, but still.

16. Greg Cox

And, again, it's really not so much an issue as how fast you can read as whether reading a given manuscript is the best of use of your time. Remember, we're not talking recreational reading here; we're talking hours of out of your workday, which may also be occupied with meetings, deadlines, revisions, etc.

(My goal for today is to deal with the latest round of editorial comments on a work-in-progress. I have a ms. I need to read as well, but I'm not likely to get to it this week.)

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Family? Friends? Pets? Pfft. Star Trek is a harsh mistress. :lol:

18. Greg Cox

Tell that to my dog when she wants a walk . . . :)

19. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I hear you. My little chihuahua seems to be able to sense when I get to the most interesting part of a story and decide she has to go right then.