Favorite Star Trek Movie Score...track?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Dale Sams, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC, Jerry Goldsmith liked to drop that in whenever a scene heavily involved Klingons. You can hear it in ST:FC, for example, when Worf arrives on the bridge of the Enterprise-E after being rescued from the Defiant.

2. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

You can get a sort of taste of what he'd have done by listening to his score for Supergirl, although that theme was a little girly for the Man Of Steel....:cool:

3. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

First contact theme, and TWOK Theme are amazing, but yeah there are way too many to mention.

4. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

5. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Beating me to the punch, these two pieces have to be my favourites depending on the mood I'm in.

6. trekkier

trekkier Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Completely agree, ive listened to that track so many times now, it's insane. That and Genesis Countdown are probably my 2 favorites.

7. Stardate

Stardate Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

8. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes! They make up a one-two punch of suspense and action that's just about as good as film music gets.

For me, those are the best two things to come out of the JJverse.

9. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

We all know that Horner is a mashup artist who appropriates music in his scores, not always Trek, and more often than not his own past work. This is a point of criticism to music snobs but in TSFS it worked beautifully, both the bits from TOS, as well as the pieces from Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXAH5fri_a0

It's not a 1:1 copy, in fact I prefer Horner's straighter, sweeter harmony. Horner's rhythmic approach and dynamics also makes it sound more like a gasp or inhale followed by a scream or cry whereas Prokofiev is more staccato.

10. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

One track?

I have to choose "Stealing the Enterprise" from TSFS, with "The Mountain" from TFF as a runner-up.

11. Danger Ace

Danger Ace Commander Red Shirt

Favorite movie score?

"Star Trek: The Motion Picture" by Jerry Goldsmith.

Part of the reason was the emotion of waiting so long for the film to come out. The highs and lows of the preceeding decade. And then to find yourself finally in the theater to enjoy it, well, the music supported it all wonderfully. It was truly a magical night.

Favorite track?

I'll go with track #3 "Klingon Battle." I would hum it every now and again when I was running late and racing somewhere.

Then again, Star Trek II's "Amazing Grace" always gets me verklempt.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013