Star Trek London - All 5 captains to be there!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by The Janitor, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I don't think that there is a lack of interest in Trek cons in the UK, sure it might be lower than other shows, I also dont know how crowded the German convention/event calander is compared to the UK. Lets say you can only afford to goto one event a year and there is a convention for this new show you have been watching do you goto that one or yet another Star Trek convention?

2. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Joiner's refusal to offer either a 5 Captains photoshoot or combined actor shoots says to me straight away that not all the guests are going to turn up, especially the big ones. Any organiser with even the most miniscule amount of intelligence should be falling over themselves to offer a 5 Captains photoshoot, especially with the number of people who are asking for one.

3. Aaron2029

Aaron2029 Cadet Newbie

I'm really excited. Only 16 days to go now. I think it is great value for money. Here is a break down of my costs.

£29 - Entry ticket for Saturday 9AM - 7PM.
    FREE - All non-captain Talks are free.
    FREE - History Gallery and Fan zone.
    £15 - Talk with Kate Mulgrew
    £25 - Autograph of Kate Mulgrew
    £15 - Autograph of Nana Visitor
    £15 - Autograph of John de Lancie
    £15 - Autograph of David Warner
    £15 - Autograph of Carolyn Seymour

TOTAL £129

That is fantastic value. Can't wait to be there.

4. Admiral Bear

Martha Hackett cancelled.

And the major complaining has started now that people on gold have started receiving their free auto tickets. Bar about one guest, everyone's got the same six!

Shouldn't laugh, but how no one saw that coming is beyond me.

5. Admiral Bear

Non-Captain talks? You mean the ones that Shamasters and Media 10 refuse to tell anyone anything about?

And looking at that guest list, with the large number of one episode wonders, who do you think will be doing a free talk that will have anything of interest to say? Certainly many of the guests won't be able to pad out a talk for more than 30 mins.

6. Aaron2029

Aaron2029 Cadet Newbie

Their website says:

"All of our guests (excluding Captains) will be doing talk sessions on our B Stage, seats will be available on a first come first served basis at the event and will be free of charge. Talks will happen on Saturday and on Sunday, tickets available whilst stocks last."

There are 5 Captains and 37 additional guests. That means there should be 37 'free' talks. If each talk is 30 minutes long then it will take 18 hours and 30 minutes, not including the Captain talks. I think it is highly possible that the guests will be grouped e.g. Next Generation guests together / DS9 guests together / etc. So the talks could be finished in 2 or 3 hours.

7. Admiral Bear

That's given me the biggest laugh I've had all day. :bolian:

8. Aaron2029

Aaron2029 Cadet Newbie

Oops. Looks like I over counted. I meant to say 34 additional guests, not 37.

So there should be 34 'free' talks on Saturday and Sunday.

9. Admiral Bear

Good luck with that one. :rolleyes:

10. Aaron2029

Aaron2029 Cadet Newbie

You don't sound very positive about it. Are you going?

11. Admiral Bear

No, thank God. I don't need to be going to know what a titanic fuck up this event already is. Go on the DSTL Facebook page and the Shamasters forum to see all the complaints since people have started receiving their gold tickets, and the associated barefaced lying and nasty, rude, defensive responses from Shamasters staff and the company lackeys. As usual with Shamasters when the shit hits the fan, it's never EVER their fault. :rolleyes:

12. Species#8472

Species#8472 Cadet Newbie

Evening all, I just wanted to let people know my experiences with Showmasters in the past few days. I was beginning to read worrying things about the Gold ticket I had bought on their official forums. My friend and I had bought tickets separately and unbeknownst to me at the time there were in fact two talks for each captain and these were going to be randomly allocated across the Saturday and Sunday so there was a risk my friend and I would go to the show and end up experiencing it separately. I joined their forum, set up a topic on the subject and had in confirmed that the allocation would be random.

I also started to read worrying things about the random allocation of the in-person autographs. Everyone with a Gold ticket seemed to be getting the same 5 of 6 guests. ‘Daniel Stewart, Carolyn Seymour, Bobby Clarke, Manu Intiraymi, Eddie Paskey and Gwynyth Walsh’ My Gold ticket had arrived and that was who I got. The last one seems to vary between Walsh, Chase Masterson, Alice Krige and Denise Crosby. The first 5 were the same in all the posts I had found.
    Also my ticket number batch was in the 500’s I’ve seen people post with tickets numbered in the 200’s and the 300’s with the same auto’s allocated, which seemed odd to me.

I tried to set up a topic on the Showmasters boards with a poll for people to select what ticket they had purchased (VIP, Platinum, Gold, Silver or 3 Weekend pass) as each of these tickets were allocated a ‘random in person autograph’ (6 for Gold, 4 for silver and 1 for Weekend pass) the minute the topic went up it was bombarded with messages saying it wouldn’t be an accurate poll and the of the ’12,000 tickets sold’ only a small portion frequented the forums. I pointed out first of all the number of tickets they quoted included 1 and 2 day tickets, so 12,000 people will not in fact be allocated random in person auto’s. I then said then it could at least serve as a way to collate the data on the people who use the forums just to see who they’ve got. My topic was then deleted without warning.

I then made two more posts in another topic which was referencing the Gold Tickets and these were my exact words:

“It seems my topic with a poll on what auto’s people were allocated was deleted. Classy Mods. Very Classy.”

“Yeah, it’s sad really. Must be all about trying to make the most money I guess. It’s almost as if they don’t want other people to know what autographs have been randomly allocated.”

Then my posts were deleted along with my member profile. No warning or anything just gone. It seems to me now that it is a clear and cynical money grab and they have screwed over the Gold ticket holders. I can’t speak for silver as haven’t seen anyone say who they have received yet. They have deliberately given people auto’s for guests who are not going to be as popular, so much for a ‘random’ allocation. I’ll be honest after this show I am done with Showmasters they just seem to be in it for the money and when you call them on something they try to cover it up.

P.S Apologies if I am not supposed to mention about what happens in other forums, but I felt it was important in the context of my post to point out that the organizers don’t seem to want to know who people have been allocated what tickets. I only quote my posts to highlight that I was not aggressive or argumentative and as far as I can see did not warrant being banned unless they actually did have something to hide regarding the ticket allocation.

13. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I'm closing this thread because it's become clear that despite heavy moderation it is very likely to drag misgivings and perceived injustices from another board into this one and has come too close for my comfort to slander in cases.
    I do understand the frustrations and I sympathise but this thread is too much of a headache to moderate. I hope that, despite everything, those that have purchased tickets will enjoy the convention and I'd like to point to the meet-up thread in the meet-up section of the board for those who are going (or live in the area) and want to meet up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.