Teaser a Slight to Kirk?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Franklin, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Nimoy delivers the line, "Space, the final frontier...." in a teaser that is apparently meant to invoke the original spirit of space exploration in the 1960s.

Perhaps it should've been Pine delivering the line. Pine's voice juxtaposed with Kennedy and Armstrong would've bridged the gap between the 1960s TOS and today.

Further, probably every non-fan (that "casual movie-goer" the film needs to attract) who has ever heard those words before associate them with Kirk (OK, and Shatner).
    So, using Pine could've continued the theme of the teaser that from the spirit and energy of the past, something new is under construction. And a young Jim Kirk is about to "boldly go," again.

Not that I'm upset with the teaser. Just saying that it actually may have been more appropriate to use Pine.

2. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Or it could be that Nimoy's voice has gravitas and is instantly recognisable, and Pine's is not. Also it seems at least possible that Nimoy's old Spock will be 'telling' this story or be a similar narrative-guiding character. So it is appropriate that he would deliver the line.

3. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shatner, maybe - it is his line.

Kirk, no. I pretty much took it as a given that, whatever voiceover the teaser trailer had, it would be Nimoy - because of the new film's cast, Nimoy is the only one virtually synonymous with Star Trek. If Shatner was in this film, it'd seem odd, but he isn't, so there...

4. Garth Rockett

Garth Rockett Commodore Commodore

Exactly. The purpose of the trailer is to build interest in the film. A recognizable voice long associated with the property delivering the line has much more impact than a voice most people won't recognize.

5. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Nimoy is the only actor who has uttered the line "Space, the final frontier..." in the films before i.e. at the end of TWOK and the beginning of TSFS.

6. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hands up anybody who'd recognise Pine's voice?

Anybody? Anybody? Bewler? Bewler? (Not you Mrs Pine)

7. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

BUELLER. :lol:

8. Franklin

That's kinda the point though. This is supposed to be something new. Nimoy is as much a part of the past as Kennedy and Armstrong.
    People hear Pine deliver, "Space, the final frontier...." Fans will figure out who it is in a moment even if they've never heard Pine before. It would be the first realization that this IS something new.
    Considering only Shatner, Nimoy, Stewart, and Bakula have delievered it before, in a way, it's a kind of torch being passed (that's cliche, but it makes the point). Hearing Pine's voice and seeing that Enterprise links him to it. This "Star Trek" is his.

It just seemed a forward-moving idea. The casual movie-goer may recognize Nimoy's voice, but I'm not sure that means anything. I doubt it puts more non-fans' seats in the theater.

I agree with Kegek that the line is as much Shatner's as Kirk's. But using Shatner is, of course, problematic at best. And, I didn't mean this thread to be about Shatner, per se. He's had his threads.

9. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

I think you're missing the whole point of this movie.

It's not for us fans. Us dorks who post in here about the shape of the bridge not being like on the original therefor it's an affront to God, Kirk, and Roddenberry.

We're going to see this movie regardless of what we say. It'll be the first new Trek in 3.5 years, we're going to suck it up like cocaine.

This movie is going to be geared to make the most amount of money as possible, so it needs to reach the widest audience. Having some no body say the lines won't add any "Ah, cool. Star Trek. I remember that" to it.

Nimoy is iconic, Chris Pine is not.

10. Arlo

Arlo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Man, if this is the kind of minutia nitpicking we can expect, it's gonna be a loooooong year.... :)

11. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This forum has been working in a virtual vaccum - and, in fact, still is. To continue its life force it must relentlessly devour and disect everything to do with the new movie.

12. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

Bingo. I think he's missing the point of what a TEASER trailer is supposed to do. This is meant to appeal to the PUBLIC, not the geeks who've known about the movie for a year already.

Let the MOVIE "pass the torch" or whatever you want to call it.

13. Franklin

Oh no, I'm not really nit-picking. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with what they did. I'll be the first to admit that I've frittered away a morning over-thinking this. I just threw it out to see if it was a decent idea or not.

Apparently, the idea doesn't have legs. So be it.

And, please I DO get the movie is not for us fans. I'm not a slobbering stuck-in-the-past fanboy. I'm not THE person who can make a BETTER movie than Abrams. That's not where I'm coming from. But MAYBE if the movie is to have broad appeal, then that would've been even more reason to let Pine have the line.

As far as it being a teaser goes, what more of a tease than to finally hear Pine deliver a short line as Kirk? Especially that line.

14. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Christ. This is why people make fun of us. A slight to Kirk? How about the simple fact that Nimoy's voice is inarguably far more majestic than Pine's. I think you're reading far too much into nothing.

15. slappy

slappy Commodore Commodore

Haven't we pretty much established that Spock is the backbone of this movie by now?

16. Franklin

"Slight to Kirk" is just a topic headline. It's gotta say something.

OK, Pine saying the line is a terrible idea. One to be copletely dismissed, apparently. I get it. I just wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition. ;)

* Goes back down into parents' basement.
    * Turns off lights.
    * Starts sobbing softly into pillow.

17. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ And don't you forget it, having opinions, what are you thinking?! *wags finger*

To be clear though, I probably was a bit harsh, it's just I thought you meant that literally the film makers deliberately were trying to slight the character of Kirk by having Nimoy deliver the line. That's obviously not the case.

Anyway, I thought it was a nice nod to old school fans to have Nimoy do the VO, not to mention he has an amazing voice.

18. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

You rang? :p

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No slight to Kirk at all.

Kennedy's voice is instantly recognizable - and if Armstrong's isn't, the sound-bite of his first words on the Moon is. Nimoy comes close.

20. Franklin

No sweat. It's a moot point, anyway. Maybe I should've simply phrased it how folks would've felt if they used Pine instead and left it at that.

Actually, after finally seeing the teaser, Nimoy's rendition is haunting.