DEXTER Season 5 Discussion & Spoilers

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dream, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I am wondering if Quinn will actually find out his secret but won't turn Dexter in.

2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Quinn either becomes an ally or he dies. He wouldn't continue to be clueless this late in the game.

Deb could kill him to protect Dexter. Lumen too. RoboCop could get into a dispute with Quinn and they kill each other which would also ensure Dexter's secret. Or maybe Lumen and Quinn kill each other.

Or we find out Captain Matthews has known all along and protects Dexter.

3. Geck

Geck Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really hope it's not the third option, that would be way too contrived. And I'd rather Lumen not be involved either - that would just be a repeat of Lila and Doakes. If Quinn's gonna die, it has to either be at the hands of Dex or Deb to really mean anything.

I can't see Quinn becoming an 'ally' per se. The only plausible way I can see him learning Dex's secret but keeping it quiet is if this relationship between him and Deb really takes off, and he stays quiet to protect her. But I hope that's not the case either - it's a bit too mushy.

I'd still like to see Lumen survive the season and move on with her life. I expect things will get crazy before it gets to that point though. Can't believe there's only 4 episodes left - it feels like we're only halfway at most. Too much filler in the first half of the season perhaps?

EDIT: Also, am I just not paying attention, or is this two weeks in a row now with no James Remar/Harry?

4. Aragorn

I think it was three weeks without Harry. Without the flashbacks, Harry is basically just Dexter talking to himself.

5. AJBryant

AJBryant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, in the books, Deb has known since the end of the FIRST book, and lets it slide as Dexter is sort of a personal "get rid of the really bad guys" crusader, and LaGuerta has been dead since that book's end.

Maybe this season will end with THAT development.

Wouldn't say that I'd miss LaGuerta.

6. Geck

^I doubt they'd kill the only other regular female cast member besides Deb though. She helps maintain a little bit of balance in that regard. I'd rather they kill off Angel before LaGuerta, to be honest.

7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen the latest episode, but maybe they're going to swap LaGuerta for the female officer that has been helping out Deb this season?

8. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You should probably watch the latest episode.

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Oh, I will. But, say no more. I'm looking forward to it.

10. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Good episode, best of the season, best episode since he went after Boyd Fowler. I'm noticing that this season really comes into focus when Dexter has someone to stalk. I guess that's probably true of the series as a whole.

11. Nerdius Maximus

Nerdius Maximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Deb knows in the books? I skipped the first one, but I don't remember any mention of it in subsequent books. I guess I'm going to have to go back and read that one. I was under the impression that the first season of the show followed the first book closely, then kind of went in another direction after that.

12. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Finally got around to watching it. Best episode in a while.

13. AJBryant

AJBryant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, the first book is rather good. After that, the series got really weird -- right down to the whole Moloch thing. (The "Dark Passenger" is a demonic possession? REALLY?)

The end of the first book was somewhat radically changed. :)

14. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

That was a great ep, not a single fault with I could see. And I totally believed Lumen ("stupid name" :lol:) and Dexter's relationship this week. I was there with Dex anxiously wondering how she'd react to getting to know him.

Then that ending, blew me away. :eek:

15. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can see this happening: Weller's character wants to out Dexter but Quinn doesn't want to due to his relationship with Deb. He tries to stop Weller and Weller shoots him. Quinn manages to call Deb or she finds him before he dies and he warns her about Weller and reveals Dexter's secret so Deb goes after Weller to try to stop him or she goes to warn Dexter.

16. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

After Deb's psycho little talk about not caring about shooting the bad guy, it looks like they're definitely going for the Deb finds out angle by the end of the season, which is good, they shouldn't drag it out too much longer.

I kind of liked that! But if I'm watching the TV show, there's no value to me of having the books go in the same real-world direction. I'd like to see where the Moloch thing goes (though I've heard Lindsay dropped it because of the backlash).
    Sounds like a plausible scenario. I bet Lumen survives the season and drops out of the series on her own accord, without ever ratting Dex out, and with the implication that she never will. Most likely the boyfriend comes back into the picture.

Lumen's overall purpose may be to foreshadow the idea that Dexter can also drop out of the murderous life like her, with no repercussions. Lumen is less nuts than Dexter so it's an option for her. But her effect on Dexter seems to be softening him up - when he claimed to be helping her in order to stop the rapists, as opposed to the "real" reason of needing to kill, it sounded like he really believed it.

I've been a bit grumpy that Lumen isn't more of a psycho, maybe angry at all men and Dex can't see it, so that she becomes a threat to him that the audience perceives before he does. That would add an edge to their scenes. But if her purpose in the story is what I just described, then she has to be portrayed as someone who is not a threat to Dex, doesn't need to be killed at the end of the season, and can foreshadow how the writers intend to end the series.

17. MichaelDornFan

MichaelDornFan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hmm, I could have done without all of the Astor-going-emo-shoplifter drama, but it looks like the next few episodes will be great.

18. Geck

^Yeah, I just finished watching. Shame that episode 9 of the season was taken up with 75% filler. At least it laid more groundwork for Deb-finds-out, which it looks more and more likely to happen by this season's end, especially given the promo at the end.

19. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it definitely looks like Deb will find out Dexter's secret this year. If she doesn't she'll come damn close to for sure.

20. Aragorn

There was no reason for Eli Stone to show his hand to Dexter and Lumen. Oh well.

And it was nice to see that RoboCop wasn't actually able to see Dexter a few miles away dumping the body in the middle of darkness with his camera, that instead the shots were of them getting on the boat.