(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Makes a change from [Insert Premier League Team Here] 1 - 2 FA

2. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

Debatable. Is it some new British thing to blame international football bodies whenever they fail to win a game?
    I'm honestly wondering because I found Celtic's whining and moaning after the match against Juventus so fucking bizarre.

These guys didn't manage to create a single good chance from open play in 90 minutes. They were tactically and technically utter rubbish. All they did was run a lot. Brainless. So they lose 0-3.

And then go on to blame the referee for not giving penalties during corner kicks. What did they expect? They bullied their way through the group stages by having their attackers foul opposing goalkeepers during corner kicks. Now Conte told Lichtsteiner to always stand between Hooper and Buffon and Lennon cries foul and whines and moans and cries and... generally makes Celtic look like sore losers.

/rant off

I used to really like Celtic. Now I think they're pathetic. When you can't score a goal from open play and concede 3... how about you just shut up?

Did this referee and federation bashing thing start when FIFA screwed you over back when it gave the WC to Qatar?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I’m not sure this is strictly speaking a British thing. Plenty of managers/clubs/fans blame officials for the decisions that cost games. Me I figure most of the time it evens out in the end, swings and roundabouts as they say. Plus there is a difference between blaming the ref and blaming UEFA/FIFA, and as far as I’m aware neither Lennon nor Ferguson have done that, it’s just Jax

4. { Emilia }

Oh, it most definitely isn't. It's just something I never noticed as much before when British teams were involved. So it seemed a bit new.

Although... I do remember Ferguson and his stupid, stupid, stupid "Typical Germans" comment (which if I recall correctly was aimed at... Ribery and Robben :p). So there's that.

I love Conte's irony by the way. Asked whether he could imagine Lennon in Serie A he replied: "Yes, he's a very capable manager and he has learned to blame refs for defeats. He would fit right in Serie A." :D

Yeah, that's my take on it, too. I also don't see conspiracies everywhere (which makes me an untypical Italian football fan I guess. :p)

:D

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

:lol:

6. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The biggest shame of the game last night was that the ref ruined what was an utterly absorbing tie. It's sad that the game will largely be remembered for that one decision, rather than the captivating stuff either side of it.

If I were a United fan then I'd have been absolutely livid. As it is, I'm not, and whilst I found the decision bizarre, and irksome, I do feel that these things balance out eventually, and let's face it, United get a lot of things going their way most of the time.

Nothing against Real Madrid, and certainly not because of last night, but with no English sides left (after Arsenal's impending departure) I think I'd rather Bayern win it. Best side I've seen in the competition this year.

7. { Emilia }

Was it ruined because Rafael wasn't sent off for a handball when he kept the ball from going in? Cheating Real out of a perfectly valid goal?

I mean... yeah... I think Manure got nothing to complain about.

8. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did the missed handball change the direction of the game? Did it sway Real's momentum? Were Real in control of the game prior to Nani's sending off?

9. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Theres a great picture am trying to find of Ramos arm fully out pulling Welbeck's shirt off his back in the box and then there was when Ramos basically clotheslined Welbeck and then when Vidic was punched by the keeper who meant to get the ball but totally missed it? If a player did that on halfway line it would be a red card. Though even worse the TV commentators and pundits didn't seem bothered despite being in replays, everyone I watched it with were simply baffled how these things go unotice all the time.

Am venting but am sick of football not deciding football but inept refs at any level.

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

But part of football's charm, for want of a better word, is decsions that don't go you way or decisions that do. The fact is referees and linesmen/women can't see everything, and frankly I pity the day they ever do because football will become sterile and boring.

11. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Never understood that perspective... that bad officiating makes games better. It doesn't. There are no downsides to matches being decided by the players on the field. What's worse with soccer is just how big some of the calls can be. Having to play the rest of the game down a player on a red card? Ouch. PKs being likely goals in what is a generally low scoring game? Those types of calls have got to be right in order for the result to be meaningful.

Did tennis become unwatchable because players are allowed to challenge blown line calls now?

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah but even if you videoed every tackle and replayed it to the ref you're still going to get disputed decisions because in many cases it will always be down to interpretation, just see how many times the pundits disagree over a tackle or a penalty.

Football is at its best as a game that flows, constant stop/starting could potentially ruin it. As for cards/penalties ruining a game, well yeah sometimes they do, and sometimes they're the reverse. As my dad always said "sometimes 10 men fight harder than 11" and it's true, similarly an unjustified penalty can galvanise a team, how often have you seen games where one team don't actually start playing until they're a goal down.

I'm not against technology, I think goal line tech is long overdue, but I don't want it to go beyond that.

13. Shaytan

Shaytan Vice Admiral Admiral

I missed Thiago Silva. That's all I have to say about yesterday.

14. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Up until last night, anyway.... ;)

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

What odds an English club winning the Europa league though :)

16. Shaytan

Oh...RIP my team :lol:
    The goal this year was the quarter so that's ok I guess :lol:

17. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Spurs have an excellent chance, especially if Chelsea turf out Kazan in the next round. Only Benfica as a big threat after that.

18. { Emilia }

I won't miss PSG if they lose. Nobody likes the nouveau riche. :p

19. Shaytan

Not a problem, hatred has always been a good sign for the PSG ;)

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HJGLXeIefFQ[/yt]

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Jesus Christ, who'd be a Blackburn fan these days!!