3 Registries for the Yamato?

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by throwback, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Do you have a pic as source? In every single photo I've seen of that desktop model, I have not seen the name "Stargazer" printed on it, just the 7100 registry. There is a pennant on the lower nacelle, but the writing is too small to make out any words (unless you have a better pic than this one):

http://drexfiles.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/3_4_31.jpg

(And if that decal was taken from a TMP Enterprise kit like the rest of the model, then that decal should read "Starship U.S.S. Enterprise United Federation of Planets.")

What does that have to do with how long it takes to build a Galaxy class ship? Blssdwlf theorized that the Yamato in "Contagion" was a newer, different ship built after the Yamato seen in "Where Silence Has Lease." What does the age of the Enterprise have to do with that?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Appears I was wrong, looking up the registries they go:

Galaxy 70637
    Challenger 70199
    Enterprise 1701 D
    Yamato 71807
    Odyssey 71832

3. EmperorTiberius

EmperorTiberius Captain Captain

Galaxy class starships managed to get some fantastic names didn't they? Add Venture (71854) in there too.

4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Well they were meant to be the pinnacle of Starfleet achievement and are still the biggest Federation ships, so it's only fair.

5. EmperorTiberius

With the name like Yamato, you wonder if they had a Bismarck too.

6. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

Dukhat,

I may be wrong about the name, but the model was labeled with a name. I'll go along with Enterprise for the name of the model. Thank goodness that this model doesn't represent an actual ship.

Chemakhuu,

You missed some.
    * NCC-71854 U.S.S. Venture
    * NCC-71867 U.S.S. Trinculo
    The only unknown is the Magellan.

I think either NCC-71804 is just as sensible for the Yamato as NCC-71807.

I think that Challenger should have been NCC-72099, at least. Heck, considering when the Challenger was first seen, in 2377, I think that NCC-75099 might have worked. I think they were attempting to honor the lost space shuttle by using both its name and its registry. However, the space shuttle's registry was OV-099, not OV-199.

I don't think we have ever had a German WWII warship honored in the canon Star Trek. Which is strange to me, at least. Was this a delicate subject with the producers, who I understand had final approval in what ships were mentioned in dialog?

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Well it was named for Battleship Yamato, so maybe they have other anime named ships too...

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

NCC-71820

9. EmperorTiberius

It wasn't named for anime, but for the biggest battleship ever built, Yamato. Being that they were part of Axis powers, it's stranger that they didn't name a ship after another famous WWII ship. May be naming it after a Nazi ship was just going too far for the producers/Starfleet? With that said, are there any Germans in the show at all?

10. throwback

Karl Jaegar ("The Squire of Gothos") had German ancestry. Kurt Mandl ("Home Soil") might have been German.

The registry for the Magellan was from a Paramount-licensed product, the Decipher RPG. A soft canon source, Haynes Enterprise Guide, didn't list a registry.

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Hmm, well we did get the Akira anyway.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

"soft canon"?:wtf:

13. throwback

Hard canon is what is defined as what is said by the characters. The information provided at this level is vetted by the production team.

Soft canon is what is defined as what is seen in the visuals and in the reference books which are based on the shows and are written by or are assisted by people who were intimate with the production process, ex. Michael Okuda.

"I wouldn't really consider any of this 'hard canon,' so take it all with a grain of salt. Both bios were slapped together hastily and weren't approved by the exec producers." - Mike Sussman, Enterprise Producer, TrekBBS posts, 30 April 2005. (Sussman was referring to the bios seen in a 4th season episode of Enterprise.)

So, according to this definition,
    * NCC-1305-E ♦ Hard Canon, Registry of Yamato
    NCC-71807 ♦ Soft Canon, Possible alternate registry of Yamato (seen on a graphic)
    * NCC-71804 ♦ Soft Canon, Possible alternate registry of Yamato (seen on the saucer)

A better example of producer intent was that they approved a Hornet and a Akagi for the same episode. Both were carriers in WWII, and fought in the Pacific War. I think there is less stigma attached to the Japanese than the Germans, which is odd as in that the Japanese were as bad as the Germans. The Japanese were brutal to the Chinese, the Koreans, and many other Asian peoples. They were brutal to prisoners, and committed unlawful medical experiments on prisoners.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

As long as it's not an obvious joke (like the duck and hamster-on-wheel in the Ent-D's engineering schematic), I view the registry number as given on onscreen readouts as no less "hard canon" than anything spoken in dialogue.

As we all know, even dialogue can be obviously wrong, such as the "200 years ago" line (regarding Khan) from DS9. So just because something is actually spoken doesn't mean it's untouchable and therefore always right. Dialogue is subject to the same scrutiny as anything else.

15. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

An existing starship can be named in less than two and a half months. Example, the Enterprise A. While not actually mentioned on screen, many fans think that the Enterprise A was a existing ship that was renamed. Either a newly built ship that had it's name change, or a older connie that was rebuilt as the Enterprise was in TMP, then renamed.

That's an auxiliary power unit.

:)

16. throwback

I never said that hard canon was 100% right. I am spelling out what the difference between hard and soft canon is.

17. EmperorTiberius

You could argue that the graphics display was simply a typing error. The ship was originaly slated to be NCC-71807, but when they decided to name her Yamato, they went with the other designation. Whoever entered it into computer somehow made a mistake.
    The numbers on the hull are a bit more difficult to explain, except if you admit that they can't even be seen without freezing, zooming and what not.
    To me it's NCC-1305-E. It's more plausible.

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

While I can understand things from the production team carrying weight while the show was still on the air and what was said was likely to be canonified if/when the subject came up in an episode or movie, that incarnation of Star Trek ended seven years ago. New technical stuff written after the point, like they Haynes manual, isn't going to have any effect on the future of Trek and so shouldn't have the same "soft canon" status. The only place prime-universe Trek continues is the novels, and the Haynes book isn't consistent with the novelverse's Enterprise-B history.

19. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

The writer(s) of "Where Silence Has Lease" thought the new registry format was NCC-four numbers-letter, or at least thought that was the format for Galaxy-class ships.

The Yamato seen in "WSHL" was a fake created by Nagilum. It had to be - Worf and Riker found no one aboard, and Worf ended up frustrated by "too many bridges" (the turbo lift doors kept opening onto the bridge).

So the Yamato in "Contagion" wasn't a replacement because the one in "Lease" wasn't even real.

20. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Riker did confirm the registry at NCC-1305-E in dialogue.

It is entirely possible that the Yamato suffered some disaster/malady prior to "Contagion" where she was replaced by a "newer" aka "replacement" ship under the 71804/7 registry.