AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Zombies that look and seem like regular people but eat human flesh? Sounds like they want to make a show about cannibals but are calling them zombies since THE WALKING DEAD took off.

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oy! According to this blog, Awakenings is a go. I won't even bother to be coy with spoiler coding since nobody seems to care...the zombies are apparently "pre-dead" (wtf, aren't we all?) and can morph from zombie to human form at will (now they're werewolves, too???) :rommie:

I hope it does go to series. Then we can have compare-and-contrast threads between the two zombie shows.

3. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Pre-wha?????

And they can morph between a rotting, decaying zombie form and a beautiful human form at will. Gee, I wonder which one I'd choose.

Worst. Idea. Ever.

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Oh, Geeze, this is sounding further and further out there, LOL :guffaw:

5. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Were-zombies? Best. Idea.Ever.:guffaw:

6. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why would they need to go back and forth between human and zombie mode? Is zombie mode supposed to make them super powerful and know kung fu?

Temis, you should start a new thread on this show. :)

7. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Awakenings sounds more like Ghouls than Zombies. :confused:

8. Silvercrest

Actually, it kinda sounds like the crew of the Black Pearl.

9. Temis the Vorta

If I get more info on it, I just might. I'm not sure how much more I wanna know... :rommie:

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

All I can think to say to properly sum up my feelings here is WTF???:ack:
    Oh, and as for intelligent zombies, does anyone else here watch Ugly Americans? Randall the zombie is my favorite character on the show. He's intelligent, but he's still a decaying, brain eating zombie who tends to lose body parts.

11. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Presactly.

Love that show. Highly recommended.

Randall is great, but my favorite character is the she-devil girlfriend. The fact that she's the daughter of a human female and Satan AND her mother is drawn to look like Mia Farrow cracks me up.

12. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It depends on the execution. That's basically the premise of Mike Allred's and Chris Roberson's "I Zombie" comic book and that's DC's best book right now.

Of course, the CW being the CW, I doubt the execution will be anywhere near as deft or well done as something by Mike Allred.

13. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just caught the show today. In the last episode when they flashback to the hospital the military had already adapted In MOPP 4 had taking head shots of all zombies put down.

The biggest problem would be ammo supply. Every soldier would run quickly through his basic load and the Rodney King riots teach us that the National Guard doesn't keep that much on hand for a Red Dawn/Battle:LA scenario. And even with one shot one kill you would just get one city block full of zombies and from there its hand to hand with swords being in short supply. Pure physical fatigue against an unexaustable enemy would soon enough see any small army overwhelmed.

14. Silvercrest

I would make a comment about this being a zombie thread, but I'm above that sort of thing.

15. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just saw it. LOVED it.

16. Temis the Vorta

:rommie:

All TWD threads are hereby immunized from accusations of zombitude.

PS, anyone who's caught up w/S1, here's the part that still gets me:

I had the episode still on my DVR where Shane describes finding Rick in the hospital, listening for a heartbeat and hearing none, and reasonably concluding that he was dead, and leaving him behind. He hears gunfire in the background, but said it wasn't loud enough to have muffled a hearbeat.

I replayed that scene, and Shane was right - the gunfire wasn't loud, and he still should have been able to hear a heartbeat. Also, when you put your ear to someone's chest, you should be able to feel a hearbeat as well. I think Rick was actually dead at that point, and for whatever reason (unique genetics? maybe some medications he had in his system at the time?), he resurrected via the zombie virus without becoming a zombie. Now that would be a radical plot twist!

What about the ammo/gun supply in private hands (50% of all US households own a gun), gun stores, sportings good stores, Wal-Mart, etc? And all projectile weapons, from crossbows to rocket launchers, need to be taken into consideration. The survivors would have everything produced by society at their disposal.

How long does ammo last before it goes bad (does it ever?) My hunch is that the ammo would be less of a worry than the food supply. Even canned goods won't last for years.

17. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not if the heartbeat is sufficiently reduced. Got a guy, in a hurry, adrenalin pumped, not only has loud gunfire going on, but has been in the middle of it, so hearing might be deadened...

As far as ammo goes, how long it last depends on how it is stored. Protected from the elements, it can last for years. But...there's not only the issue of expenditure, but having the right ammo available for the weapons you have.

If a zombie plague went on long enough, requiring long term survival amidst it, probably for awhile, fortress towns would form, with walls, guards and strict control of entry. If they were lucky, they could produce their own ammo, and would probably restrict the type produced, to maximize humbers.

18. Temis the Vorta

My theory of what the writers intended in that scene comes from the fact that they matched what Shane said about the gunfire (not loud) to how they actually produced that scene (with gunfire that was not loud).

They could have had the gunfire be loud, and therefore cast doubt on Shane's story. What's the purpose of having Shane tell that story at all, really? Just to create angst with the love triangle? I think there's a larger agenda afoot.

I don't recall Shane saying his hearing had been deadend. If the writers wanted us to know that detail, they would have included it in the dialogue (perhaps having another character mention it as a possibility, or show Shane being exposed to a very loud sound right before the hospital scene). Ditto about a reduced heartbeat, although I'm not sure how they could have dramatized that notion one way or the other without destroying the ambiguity in Shane's story.

19. watermelony2k

watermelony2k Vice Admiral Admiral

There might be more of a demand for crossbow and arrow production. Reusable and more more resource availability. Like our friend Darryl!

20. Temis the Vorta

Seems like it would take less effort to whittle a stick to make a reasonable crossbow arrow vs producing a bullet (at home? I have visions of Colonial housewives pouring metal into little round molds by the fireplace but I guess it's more complicated nowadays?) :rommie: