Romulan Warbird

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Bill Morris, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Bill Morris

Bill Morris Commodore Commodore

Probably for cooling, like the radiator baffles on the Klingon Bird-of-Prey. The excape pods could be on the underside of the upper wing (the ceiling of that big cavern).

[​IMG]

2. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

Nice work so far. You may also wish to ask Mr. Probert about the intended locations of things on the ship, as it was his baby. :)

3. Bill Morris

Maybe it should be greener:

[​IMG]

4. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe the big cavity between the wings has something to do with forming the warp field. Or something. :vulcan:

5. Bill Morris

It sure gives that impresssion with the warp field grilles light up on the interior side of the nacelles and not the exterior side.

About the ribbed spines and the notion that they might be escape pods, well, the Romulan shuttles have the same thing in miniature. See for yourself:

http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2008/12/24/romulan-shuttle/

This might be the final version of the image for the above schematic:

[​IMG]

6. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Naturally, the problem with MSDs for ships like the warbird and the Ferengi marauder is that the cross-section of the center of the ship doesn't match the overall outline.

I noticed that the outline for the warbird you based yours on is different from the image I posted, the shape doesn't look the same. hmmmm....

7. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

Very Funny but it looks very very good.

I speculate that the impulse engines could be the large Vents on the top of Wing One. Problem is it's not pushing against the majority of the center of mass. But it might explain why the Warbird moved in attack the way it did in TINMAN rising up to the Enterprise.

For my Designs of a Romulan Warbird (Warglide) I placed the Impulse engines at the base rear of the neck.

8. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This isn't the only one to have that problem, basing the LCARS image on an inferior and inaccurate illustration. :vulcan:

9. Bill Morris

Guys, my outlines matches the one shown on a Romulan computer display and in the edition of the
    Star Trek Encyclopedia I have. I posted a screencap on the first page of this thread. I also have a photo of the original graphic. The image you guys are calling right is from the Fact Files and easy to find on the Web. The image I posted is a little distorted because of the angle at which it was shot, but I chose to use the canon outline rather than what was easy to copy.

And here again is a link to a grand tour of the filming model (with a couple of pieces removed, to prevent damage or injury I suppose).

http://www.st-bilder.de/html/romulaner1.html

And a screenshot of the display as it is now:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  10. EmperorTiberius

EmperorTiberius Captain Captain

You're missing 2 disruptors where the aft tractor emiters are

11. Maurice

And what's the red dot where the lower "neck" meets the lower wing? There's a flat round feature there that doesn't match the other disruptors.

Okay, canonical but incorrect to the physical mode. :)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  12. EmperorTiberius

Actually, there seem to be two disruptor emitters there from what I can tell, even though the ship designer doesn't mention them. I think LCARS got it right.

13. Maurice

No, the features there do not match the other disruptors. There are circles there but they are FLAT and not domed like the disprutors. I'm looking at Andy's painting of the ship in drydock right now.

14. Bill Morris

A couple of references.

From Ex Astris Scientia (matches the one in my copy of the Star Trek Encyclopedia). This comes up if you click on the thumbnail on the list of Romulan ships:

[​IMG]

Photo of graphic used on-screen:

[​IMG]

15. EmperorTiberius

That explains it. I'm looking at couple of warbird pictures shown on screen, and the domes are not flat, but large circles like the ones on rest of the ship. And it makes sense that there would be a pair there, if there wasn't, there would be no desruptor coverage underneath the ship looking forward.

16. Bill Morris

About the outline, you guys are apparently referring to that dropoff in the opening aft of the vertical part of the wings. I could change it to look like that, but I don't see it on the filming model. I posted a link to plenty of photos of it taken at the Las Vegas convention shortly before it was sold at auction.

I don't have a physical model to examine, and all the side-view photos on the Web were taken at slight angles. Here's a shot of a plastic model, also slightly angled. If you ignore the dropoff created by the view of the opposite side and only look at the foreground side, what do you see?

About the red thing I show as a disruptor that might not be, I'm not sure. The same goes for what I show as an aft tractor emitter. The tractor emitter shown in one episode isn't even on the model.

And the kit model below shows disruptors in red. I don't know.

[​IMG]

17. Disillusioned

Disillusioned Commander

Maybe those things along the spine are umbilical connection hard-points, similar to what the E-D has?

18. Maurice

But that's one modelmaker's interpretation. I object to it because all the other disruptors look the similar and that feature not only doesn't match, but it doesn't look like a place where Andy would have put them, given he could just as easily mirrored the ones on the upper hull rather than stick then on the sides of a support

Anyway, I sent Andy an email and asked him to clarify what some of the features are and where things are supposed to be. When/if he gets back to me on that I'll let you know.

19. Bill Morris

Thanks, DS9Sega. I'm ready to remove the disruptor pair from the neck, based on your comments. About having one where I show a tractor emitter, all the others are in pairs (except for the disruptor cannon in front). So how about leaving the tractor emitter and showing a red dot above or somewhere near that, still leaving five pairs?

Here's shot of the forward disruptor cannon in action:

[​IMG]

And about the outline again, I've already posted links to many photos of the filming model, cited the Star Trek Encyclopedia, showed a straight-on view from Ex Astris Scientia, and demonstrated how the Fact Files could have made a small error by viewing it at a slight angle.

This is flimsy, but another example:

[​IMG]

And hopefully, this is okay as-is:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  20. Maurice

I'm no expert on this ship, but it looks pretty good. The furniture looks tiny for the vessel size indicated, though.