STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I really want this to be true. :techman:

2. boobatuba

boobatuba Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Saw it again today in a 2/3 full theatre at a 1:00 Saturday matinee in non-traditionally-fan-location Oklahoma. Good sign, there.

3. RevDMV

RevDMV Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I get my nerd card back, about a half full IMAX theater in Dublin CA for the 12:30 showing.

Fun movie, both me and my son had good time.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

you guys are worried about nothing, the movie is doing ok relative to st09,but very well internationally. ST09 made $101 million from dvd, and maybe $30 or 40 million from blurry. Add $30 million from FX. Stid will make more overall BO than st09 and will make $550-600 million from all sources.

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

BTW I'm seeing it for the last time tomo. 2 other people. $51 more. lol

6. Galekarens

Galekarens Commander Red Shirt

I "contributed" my $11 (yikes, that's why I don't go to the movies much anymore) today, and really liked the movie. Quite intense and exciting, despite knowing spoilers. And I "merely" liked the 2009 one so wasn't expecting to enjoy ID as much as I did (give it 9.5/10 for a few personal nitpicks, lol). Am sort of intrigued by the notion of seeing it in 3-D, but since that version is probably more expensive (?), will probably wait for the DVD, lol. Anyway, Leonard N.'s Spock is still my #1, but now am more "converted" to nuTrek, so well done all involved! (PS for a 4PM Sat. show theater was about 60 % filled, which I thought was pretty good for 3rd weekend.)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Movies have pretty much kept pace with paperback books and takeaway meals over the decades, haven't they?

In Australia, I buy booklets of ten tickets at a time, which saves several dollars per movie - and I pay a few extra dollars if it's a 3D movie (and I keep a spare pair of 3D specs in my satchel). I would rarely buy a one-off ticket.

8. KittyDuran

KittyDuran Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Another viewing - probably the last one in 3D until the DVD comes out for me. About 3/4 full for the 3:30 start time.

9. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I'm probably going to go a fourth time.

What about merchandising? Does that play into it at all? I've seen the movie three times, but I also bought the Into Darkness soundtrack album, and the novelisation

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Merchandising is reported separately. I understand that pre-sales of expensive merchandising licenses for tie-ins to "Batman Returns", caused by Warners and retailers almost being caught unaware by the size of the 1989 hit, "Batman", meant that its sequel was already a financial success without even being released! But the $$$ are not reported that way.

Tie-ins to STiD are relatively soft compared to other movies. So was ST II, actually, after ST:TMP toys, mugs and clothing had only limped out of the stores.

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Rth's Saturday numbers

12. KittyDuran

KittyDuran Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wish there were more... National Amusements had a special cup you could purchase but that was about it... Haven't been to the Regal cinemas yet to see what they have to offer. Nothing from AMC...I still had the special gift card (Spock) from ST09 that I used this past week. The ticket taker and concessions employees thought it was a great idea.

13. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

From ERC on Twitter:

That's $20 million more than the total foreign gross of Star Trek.

14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

:techman:

15. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

16. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got some Star Trek Kre-O and it's awesome... can't find any more though! Terrible distributing where I live, apparently.
    In other words, I can't see how merchandising will help if consumers can't find it/there isn't any available. I remember after The Phantom Menace, Star Wars scaled back the sheer volume of its toys considerably... there are probably still places tucked away somewhere with heaps of Jar Jar Binks frisbees and Jake Llyod action figures.

17. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Weekend estimates from Box Office Mojo:

1. Fast & Furious 6 - $34,538,000
    2. Now You See Me - $28,050,000
    3. After Earth - $27,000,000
    4. Epic - $16,400,000
    5. Star Trek Into Darkness - $16,400,000
    6. The Hangover Part III - $15,930,000

STiD could end up at #4 depending on how the actuals shake out. Its domestic total is an estimated $181.156 million.

18. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

That's pretty crap. ST09 made $35,066,138 it's third week.

19. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

STiD will probably make about $23-24 million for its third week.

20. The Transformed Man

The Transformed Man Commander Red Shirt

Bear in Mind it was Memorial Day weekend during ST09's third week of release.

Yancy