Young Justice, Green Lantern return January 5th

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Giancarlo Volpe said on twitter...

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Amethyst and Black Lightning were fun on DC Nation.

I don't usually watch GL but gave Steam Lantern a spin. Not bad, a bit standard with the whole bad guy didn't realize he'd gone too far but a little twist with Steam Lantern's lie. The whole steampunk thing was fun though.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, ok.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So did anyone think for a single second that Aqualad was actually evil?

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Absolutely loved the GL ep. Opening up the rupture to envelope the planet and bring it into our universe was such an inspired solution, and pretty cool to watch too.

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

It was revealed about 4 episodes ago. I thought it was possible considering I wasn't sure if the character was from the comics or created for the series.

7. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Sorta-kinda both. Weisman created him for the series and Geoff Johns liked him so much he included a slight variation in the comics (I think around the time of Brightest Day?). The comics happened to come out first though.

I thought it was possible just because I was willing to believe the show would go in that direction, and it had been 5 years after all.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Has Aqualad appeared in the new comic continuity yet?

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

They name dropped Garth recently, but no version of Aqualad has shown up. Other than Roy/Speedy all of Robin's original playmates are missing.

10. Mr. Adventure

Some impressive destruction today on both GL and YJ (not to mention CW) today. YJ really likes their threats to be cranked to 11, it seems like they are always overmatched. Maybe that makes some sense in a team show but it's sometimes a bit exasperating to watch. Interesting to see the ambassador's tactics in using the Justice League's actions against themselves politically.

Does anyone know what DC property is being used in that DC Nation action short? I thought that was pretty cool. I'm glad they are going beyond simple funnies for these lately. Even with something like Amethyst it's more than just DC characters saying funny things.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

You mean the really martial-arts-heavy one? That's part 1 of a 3-part arc of shorts that's been run before, called "The Batman of Shanghai." Part 1 focuses on Catwoman, Part 2 on Bane (glimpsed as the masked carriage driver at the end of part 1), and part 3 on Batman. They're produced by a Chinese animation studio called Wolf Smoke. If you missed them before, it's probably because they were debuted during reruns of YJ and GL.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear Ian Abercrombie's voice as Ganthet in the GL episode, given that the actor passed away last year. It's a reminder of how long it takes to produce animation, with the voice recording being one of the earliest steps. I wonder if there will be more episodes with Abercrombie.

Weird portrayal of Despero in the YJ episode. It seemed at times that L-Ron was the master, telling Despero what to do, instead of the servant he claimed to be. Although maybe that could be chalked up to him being Despero's "manager," as it were.

12. Mr. Adventure

^ Ah, didn't even catch that it was some Batman pastiche (or whatever the right word is...)

EDIT: Cheated and watched it all on youtube, color me impressed.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed both of the episode.
    GL: I really like the Blue Lanterns, and I'm curious to see where they are headed with Razor. I honestly thought that once they defeated the Red Lanterns, he switch over to either the Green or the Blue, but it looks he'll be staying Red, for the time being at least.
    YJ: Wow. I wonder if they'll rebuild the Hall of Justice or leave it destroyed. I wonder if Mal will keep the Guardian suit?

I looked him up on Wikipedia and it says he did become Guardian in the comics, so I'm assuming he will keep it then.

14. Mr. Adventure

It's funny, getting older, the storyline's aren't necessarily too kiddie but I find myself wondering about things like how much effort it will be to fix all the damage done by the manhunters and stuff. :)

15. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

First Mount Justice and now the Hall of Justice. The way things are going these folks won't have any headquarters left. It's too bad that Dick cannot simply invite Conor and the others to stay in Wayne Manor...there is plenty of room. Of course he could just buy a condo or house for them somewhere. I'm sure that Bruse left him to serve as his surrogate at Wayne Enterprises even with Lucius in charge.

I do wonder how the Justice League managed to keep the Watchtower a secret. It does not appear to be cloaked in anyway. Keeping it hidden would have been possible if it had been located on the moon, but it's an asteroid in orbit. Someone MUST have seen it. Why wouldn't the light have told the world since they know it's up there.

I loved seeing L-Ron.

16. Christopher

Right. Too many TV/movie writers don't realize that you can't hide things in space, because there are no horizons in space. Anyone with a telescope can see what's out there, and there are millions of amateur astronomers the world over.

And the idea of hiding something in Earth orbit is particularly absurd. With all the satellites and astronauts we have up there, Earth orbital space is constantly monitored by NASA and other agencies so we know the location of even small pieces of debris. There's no way something in orbit could be hidden from the planet's governments. Even if it were cloaked against visual detection and shielded against impacts from orbital debris, NASA could discover it by how it altered the trajectories of the bits of debris that struck its shields.

17. Christopher

By coincidence, this was covered on a comics blog just a couple of days ago... in fact, Mal's stint as the Guardian lasted for all of one issue, and the way it happened wasn't too different from what we saw here:

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2013/01/10/abandoned-love-mal-duncan-as-the-new-guardian/

18. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The only thing I didn't like about this episode of YJ was that it was yet another example of "variable power levels". Mal should have been a red smear.

19. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I recognized him from the speech patterns about five seconds before he said his name.

They just need to set up a new headquarters that doesn't use the word "Justice" in the name. Obviously it's a jinx.

I was thinking almost the opposite: "So what! They have a satellite-- big deal! How about everything else that's already up there! You're not accusing Dish Network of spying on us, so what's so special about the JLA?!"

The real answer, of course, is who Glorious Godfrey is really working for. But I doubt the show will last long enough to show that.

Yeah, that was pretty silly. Good armor, I guess.

20. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I too doubt we'll see it on the show, but Godfrey always works for Darkseid. This season of Young Justice has focused on the 25 year old "Invasion" comics mini-series; and what they are doing with Godfrey is a piece of the comics mini-series "Legends" from the same time frame. I can only guess that a 3rd season of YJ would have that sub-title as it explores Darkseid's long game.