HEROES 3x06 "Dying of the Light" Discuss and Grade

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Oct 20, 2008.

?

Grade the episode

1. Excellent

39.2%
  2. Above Average

39.2%
  3. Average

15.2%
  4. Below Average

5.1%
  5. Poor

1.3%
  1. Mallet

Mallet Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well the first two season were setting it up that all the old timers got together to form "The Company" with what I assume was the idea of keeping supers from becoming public knowledge, tracking people with powers, getting rid of those who were dangerous and then also molding the future to what they wanted (one of their own in the white house) & getting rich in the process.

It seems to me at some point (maybe after he "died") Arthur set up Pineherst as a rival company with a more sinister agenda.

Remember, Peter and Nathan were in regular contact to their father right up until 6 months before season one began when he "died". And their mother was with their father right up until the end, and was still shaken up by his death when the series started (remember she got caught shoplifting as a "cry for attention" in the first episode) and judging by her surprise in the last couple of episodes, she was sure he was dead.

So, it doesn't really make too much sense, unless... was Arthur betrayed by his wife & Linderman & the rest of the company? That would go along way to explaining things.

Maybe they betrayed him and tried to kill him (and thought they had) but he survived and is now putting together his "army" to get revenge? Or maybe he is actually a good guy? We've only seen him kill Adam who we know is super evil... So maybe he is actually a good guy and the company is the bad guys?

2. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

I really think we'll learn all of the Company/Pinehearst bits and pieces in the Five Years Gone/Four Months Ago of this volume. It must be due fairly soon, episode 9 at the latest I'd say.

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Casting news for new character:

Will Sylar get a Robin to his Batman?

This validates my hunch that Sylar's lone wolf days are over. Maybe they'll be back someday but not for now.

I remain skeptical about new characters till they've proven themselves and would prefer Sylar to interact with existing characters like Peter, Angela, Nathan, Arthur, Claire, Noah and Elle - plenty to work with there - and throwing him in with Matt might yeild some interesting results - not to mention that Sylar+Mohinder would be very different now - so why do we need this kid? But who knows, maybe he'll work out.

The comments section is hilarious. :lol: They're making pretty much the same comments we'd make here. "Just stop, for the love of God and your sanity, STOP!!!!"

Anyway, maybe with the ratings slipping they'll get budget conscious and realize they can't afford to hire any new actors, just make use of the ones they have now. I can't even imagine what a cast this massive must be costing. Sure they don't use all the actors all the time, but just having them available is going to cost something vs cutting some loose and not hiring more!!!!

4. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's really hilarious how fast people have turned on the show. It's faster that Lost. :p

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Arthur would've been a better choice for the one Molly feared than Maury, especially considering how easy it was for Matt to dispatch Maury the first time around.

6. Temis the Vorta

They turned on the show in the S1 finale! And then S2 was bitch bitch bitch...
    According to this spoilery article in EW, which appears to confirm the identity of Sylar's baby-mommy we'll see it Nov 10.

I just had an nasty thought - can Arthur choose which powers to absorb and leave some behind? He seems like he's had decades to refine his power so this is plausible. That means he would not have absorbed Sylar's seeing ability at all, leaving it behind in Peter, who is otherwise powerless. How evil would that be? :lol:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  7. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Yes he did...remember when he had to carry Parkman?

8. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

I thought everyone agreed never to speak of that again. :lol:

9. zenophite

zenophite Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i was just thinking that myself - maybe they can retrofit that somehow...

10. Mallet

Mallet Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If Maury has been doing all of Arthur's bidding for a while now, then he would have been the one to show up to Molly as the "bad guy". Arthur was just lying in bed, doing nothing but thinking. Maury was doing all the bad stuff.

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The main cast hasn't grown that much. There were 12 main cast members in season one. DL, Simone, and Isaac were killed off.

For season 2.
    Sylar, Ando, Monica, Maya, Elle, Adam were added to the main cast.

For season 3.
    Elle, Monica, Adam, Micah left. Angela was added to the main cast. Which makes 12. The size of the main cast is actually the same as season one.

Heores just seems to have such a large cast since they have so many reoccuring characters. You have to remember that with such a large main cast the main actors make much less compared to other shows with the same budget but smaller cast. For example each of the main Desperate Housewives actresses make many times more then any of the main actors on LOST.

12. Temis the Vorta

And bringing in new actors can be a strategy to keep the existing cast from getting swelled heads, thinking they are indispensible and demanding raises. ;) Unfortunately for Kring, I think he does have some indispensible actors, for which he should be grateful because they are the ones keeping the ratings' head above water regardless of how nonsensical or convoluted the writing may get.

13. zenophite

zenophite Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm just not sure why they can't seem to part ways with Ali Larter - all the characters she plays are so pointless. I guess she's just there to please the blonde-o-philes.

14. Temis the Vorta

She's the resident hotty I guess. Claire is too young and the likes of Maya and Elle are short-timers.

15. Captain Intrepid

Captain Intrepid Vice Admiral Admiral

Speak for yourself.

16. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

They'd do a lot better if they'd quit firing Homer Simpson's makeup shotgun at her now she's Tracy and not Nikki.

I have noticed, can't think why, that Maya's clothes seemed to be getting skimpier with every appearance.

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Have you seen the kind of costumes superheroines wear in the comics? Revealing clothes for the females is just part of the comics cliche not to mention it's good for ratings.:lol:

18. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

No.
    <------

:p

Yeah, but this is Heroes. Every instance of female skimpy clothedness has to be paid for with twenty minutes of some dude with his shirt off.

19. .:: TSN ::.

.:: TSN ::. Captain Captain

I dont know that has this been thought about yet.. But does anyone think that Arthurs power is basically just more advanced version of Peters power?

Just like Matt's dad had more advanced power than Matt had. Matt could only read minds, his dad could also push thoughts into other peoples minds. So Peter can just copy powers, but Arthur can also cut powers from a person.

20. Temis the Vorta

I always do! :lol:

If I were a guy, to tell ya the truth, my hotty fixation would be Elle. It's not Claire's literal age but the fact that she seems like such a stupid, vapid little barbie doll that turns me off. I don't like Ali Larter's face, there's something rodent-like about it. Maya has the same problem as Claire x100. Claire's mom Meredith is ironically hotter than her dimwit spawn. Too bad they killed Simone, she was a genuine hotty, ditto for Candice. They're good at keeping hot guys around, terrible with the ladies.

Works for me! :bolian:

Hmm, interesting. I also wonder if Arthur can place powers back into a person or into different people. He already seems like the Monarch of the Metahumans - like a ruler, he can dispense or withdraw the goodies at will. It doesn't seem very useful to the plot to have him simply keeping all Peter's powers. I can't see him sullying his hands by actually fighting. But he could distribute the powers to his goon squad as he sees fit. Very kingly.