Who is stronger? Genetic Engineered Human or typical Vulcan?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Shat Happens, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The anecdotal nature of the urban legend didn't stop TPTB from releasing this film though!

2. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was watching "the Raven" (VOY 4th season) and this bit relevant:

Seven is threatening to assimilate Tuvok (and example of a full Vulcan and notspock)

SEVEN: "Vulcan. Species 3259. Your enlarged neocortex produces superior analytical abilities. Your distinctiveness will be added to our"

there it is, a superior neocortex. The Borg say so.

3. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

BTW, Spock is half human. There's no accounting for whether he has gotten a genetic equivalent to normal Vulcan strength or if it is lessened from human crossbreeding

Ultimately, there's too many variables & inconsistencies to make a proper determination to the OP's question

4. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...Although the dialogue references do give clear figures: as already mentioned (even if slightly misattributed), Khan says he has 5x human strength in "Space Seed", Malik in "Borderlands" expands this claim to his own bunch of Augments, and Kasidy Yates says Vulcans have 3x human strength in "Take Me In the Holosuite".

Khan might be lying for tactical purposes, so might Malik, and Kasidy might be quoting an urban myth, but all of the above might also be factually correct. "Human strength" varies within relatively broad limits, though, and being five times stronger might not statistically differ from being three times stronger.

Timo Saloniemi

5. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So an Augment is 5/3 as strong as a Vulcan.

That means 3 Augments could fight 5 Vulcans. Any more on one side or the other is unfair.

Remains to be known if the "superior intellect" can outsmart the "enlarged neocortex" or it's the contrary. Would you like to be treated by Bashir or a Vulcan medic?

6. xavier

xavier Commander

It depends on the how engineered the human is. I always assumed Vulcan were as strong as spiderman and stronger than captain america and engineered human can have his strength as high as superman depending on how their genetics may have been manipulated.

does anyone find it odd that no one has ever talked about the dangers of vulcan and humans sleepling toghter. if vulcan are 3 or 5 times stornger than humans does that not mean they can crush their female human counterparts in bed.its like vampire/human sexual intercourse all over again.

7. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmm. Many a human male ITRW is three to five times stronger than the human female he has sex with. Or three to five times heavier, which sounds even worse but can be equally harmless. Human strength and a host of other human qualities really do vary within really broad limits, and "X times the human average" is misleading at best when evaluating the nature of, well, anything.

Timo Saloniemi

8. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:cardie: Just because someone has superior strength doesn't mean they have to use it. By that logic, Data should have drilled holes through Tasha. :guffaw:

9. xavier

xavier Commander

I was watching one of those twilight films (yeah yeah .... I know. twilight sucks) and the couple bella and edward sleep toghter for the first time and he injured her due to his super strength.

this is not the first time I have seen this pattern, in one episode of buffy, spike mocks buffy by asking if he bruised the human boy after they had sex. buffy is a vampire slayer who is stronger than most standard vampires and who is suppose to be as strong as spock according to the die hard buffy fans. so it is possible that Vulcan and human sex could be dangerous to the physically weaker human.

10. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Isn't that the general conceit of Klingon sex as well?

As for the topic at hand, I would say it depends on the two individuals. Khan was a genetically engineered superman, created to be the perfect soldier.

Vulcans could probably match the mental ability of an Augment no problem, but the strength would depend on the Vulcan and their training. Against Khan, a trained soldier, Spock was a fair fight because of his Starfleet training and superior physical strength.

11. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But you know, any time that he messes up, he can always blame the half-human side that uses only 10% of his brain.

"But Spock, that's just an urban legend!"

"I will show YOU an urban legend." *proceeds with the Vulcan neck pinch*

12. dswynne1

dswynne1 Captain Captain

Doesn't anyone remember how the Romulans were depicted in ST'09, or the fact that the Abrams films hyper-charged the qualities of the aliens? I remember the scene where Nero leaped off of a higher pedestal on his ship, and lands very well on his feet. Meanwhile, Cadet Kirk follows suit, barely catches the ledge, struggled to climb up, only to have Nero's assistant Ayel land on HIS feet as if it was nothing...before proceeding to pick up Kirk by the throat one-handed.

I like to think that average Augment= average Vulcan. Easier to deal with the inconsistencies.

13. dswynne1

dswynne1 Captain Captain

BTW, I think it would be cool if ST had Augments openly serving in Starfleet.