Charting the Novel-verse

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Turtletrekker, May 26, 2010.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, pretty much everything after Destiny and before Typhon Pact overlaps RBoE. Heck, Destiny Book 3 overlaps RBoE, and maybe some of Book 2 does as well. RBoE starts on the same day as the Battle of the Azure Nebula and spans just about exactly one year thereafter. So it overlaps most of Full Circle Part 2 and the entirety of Losing the Peace, A Singular Destiny, Unworthy, Over a Torrent Sea, Synthesis, and the non-flashback portions of DTI: Watching the Clock.

2. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

cool thanks for that chrfs and sci.

3. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

big fuck up on my part chris sorry.

4. Odo

Odo Commander Red Shirt

Quick question about the Pocket Book Universe. Will it's continuity follow along with STXI, in the sense that Spock is set to disappear and Romulus is set to be destroyed in 2387 (only a few years from where the current 24th cent. novels are)?

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

JJ Abrams' Star Trek movie is canon, so they have to follow the movie once they get to that point, but they do not have to follow Countdown or STO. After I finished Rough Beasts of Empire, I couldn't help but wonder if perhaps some of the stuff in that book happened in order to set up Abrams' movie.

6. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

However, for those of us who (not to start this debate again, but...) don't think the 24th century parts of nu-Trek line up with the timeline we've always known, and thus don't count it as part of our personal continuity, we will be able to just assume Spock died in the destruction of Romulus and ignore any connection to the film.

7. ryan123450

OK so I have a question. Starfleet Academy has a character from Titan so that is part of the Lit-verse. That series crossed over with Marvel Voyager, DS9, and Unlimited in one issue. So are those entire series part of the Lit-verse or just the issues specifically connected. For instance VOY issues 1-5 are stand alone, issues 6-9 are referenced in following issues by the "Previously in Star Trek: Voyager" intros, and issues 10-15 are specifically connected to the crossover issue. So what should be included and what left out?

Also, what about something like Untold Voyages, one issue of which references The Pandora Principle, or Assignment: Earth, one issue of which is referenced in Watching the Clock? Should the entire miniseries connect or just the one issue?

8. Christopher

True, Titan includes a character created for the Starfleet Academy comic, but I don't think that necessarily means the actual stories of that comic are part of the same continuity. It could just be a case of one version of the continuity adopting a character from a different version, like the way Batman comics adopted Harley Quinn and Renee Montoya from the animated series.

As for the Assignment: Earth comic, it contradicts the Eugenics Wars novels in several respects, so the whole thing can't fit into the Lit-verse unless you treat it as an alternate timeline.

Ultimately, it's up to the individual reader to decide which works fit together and which don't. Some readers are willing to gloss over inconsistencies that others aren't.

9. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

and Marvel adopted Firestar from Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends.

10. Christopher

And Jimmy Olsen, Perry White, The Daily Planet, and kryptonite originated on radio. And so on.

11. adamisme

adamisme Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Can anyone help, I've just finished the A Time to Series, now although I've read the books post nemesis, has anyone got a list of what has been out post nemesis so I can track them down for my kindle in order

12. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

This list was provided by Nasat in another thread. I'll include the post-nemesis books only:

TNG: Death in Winter
    Titan: Taking Wing
    Titan: The Red King
    TNG: Resistance
    Titan: Orion’s Hounds
    TNG: Q and A
    Titan: Sword of Damocles
    TNG: Before Dishonour
    Articles of the Federation
    TNG: Greater Than the Sum
    Destiny: Gods of Night
    Destiny: Mere Mortals
    Destiny: Lost Souls
    A Singular Destiny
    TNG: Losing the Peace
    Voyager: Full Circle
    Titan: Over a Torrent Sea
    Voyager: Unworthy
    Titan: Synthesis
    Mirror Universe: Rise Like Lions
    Voyager: Children of the Storm
    Typhon Pact: Rough Beasts of Empire
    DTI: Watching the Clock
    Typhon Pact: Zero Sum Game
    Typhon Pact: Seize the Fire
    Typhon Pact: Paths of Disharmony
    TNG (technically): Indistinguishable From Magic

This is the thread where he posted it: http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=144958

Enjoy :techman:

13. ryan123450

This is the chronological order as I understand it. Hope it's right.

TNG: The Sky's the Limit (a few short stories)
    TNG: Death in Winter
    Titan: Taking Wing
    Titan: The Red King
    Articles of the Federation
    Titan: Orion's Hounds
    TNG: Resistance
    TNG: Q&A
    TNG: Before Dishonor
    Titan: Sword of Damocles
    TNG: Greater Than the Sum
    Destiny: Gods of Night
    Destiny: Mere Mortals
    Destiny: Lost Souls
    TNG: Losing the Peace
    A Singular Destiny
    Voyager: Full Circle
    Titan: Over a Torrent Sea
    Voyager: Unworthy
    Titan: Synthesis
    Voyager: Children of the Storm
    DTI: Watching the Clock
    Typhon Pact: Zero Sum Game
    Typhon Pact: Seize the Fire
    Typhon Pact: Rough Beasts of Empire
    Typhon Pact: Paths of Disharmony
    Indistinguishable From Magic
    Typhon Pact: The Struggle Within

Edit: Dang, beat to the punch. :alienblush:

14. adamisme

adamisme Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

thanks for this, I actually have a lot of these in paperback, but as I'm moving and not moving to a permanent location yet, decided my books can kind of go as I have the kindle and I'll just grab them for that

15. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

never mind...

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Agreed. And as Christopher may remember, I am one of those readers more willing to shake off an inconsistency.

However, regarding Starfleet Academy, it is worth noting that other than Pava on Titan, DS9: Cathedral established Nog`s membership in Omega Squadron as well as the squads infamous journey to Talos IV, the precursor to the "Telepathy War" crossover. Also- the TNG entry in the Section 31 series utilized backstory for Marta Batanides that was originally esablished in SA issue (IIRC) # 10.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  17. ryan123450

So, Turtletrekker, do you think on a future update the 'Telepathy War' crossover issues and all the issues which either referenced it, or were referenced in it, will be added to your list?

What about Untold Voyages and Assignement: Earth (which would then also pull in all the John Byrne stuff)?

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^It's always possible that I might expand on the comics section, but I haven't really put a lot of thought in that direction.

19. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I believe there's a good ref. site for that, I have it bookmarked somewhere...

20. bok2384

bok2384 Commander Red Shirt

Another one to add for Vanguard if it's worth it is that the background to the planet Arcturus mentioned in Open Secrets is consistent with, and was first mentioned in, Enterprise: The First Adventure and possibly The Entropy Effect. :)