Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

A few weeks back my local comic book store in Illinois was selling the JJ Abrams Enterprise. It was $30, if I recall correctly. I wonder what the hold up is for subscribers.

2. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Anyone contact Eaglemoss on this?

3. KaineMorrison

KaineMorrison Lieutenant Commander

I have the first four Ships. However, I don't like that they aren't really to scale.
    The HeroClix StarShip look more to scale to each other. Though I can't really tell as I've only ever seen pictures of them online.

Does anyone have the HeroClix Ships? If so, are they constructed fairly well? Are they Show Accurate?

What would you all choose, StarShips or HeroClix?

4. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

As I mentioned upthread, I've seen them in a comic shop in the US as well. Also priced around $32, a price that leads me to believe they obtained them from a US distributor and didn't import from the UK.

5. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

The Heroclix ships are generally appalling. They aren't at any scale to each other, and lacking in both details and paint applications. The best ship they've probably put out is the Valdore, and thats pretty much only thanks to it being predominantly green anyway. Their Negh Var was the wrong colour, and was far too skinny with very little detail overall.

Eaglemoss' worst is still leaps and bounds ahead of Heroclix's best. And if you're talking about the Attack Wing minatures? They retail for MORE than an Eaglemoss ship, and you're only getting literally 10% of the mass of an Eaglemoss ship in some cases.

For the umpteenth time, let me reiterate this: There will never ever be a truly to scale, mass produced and affordable line of Star Trek ships. Its just impractical.

6. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

Round 2 is producing a number of Trek ships in matching scales- 1/2500 and 1/1000.
    They are kits but pretty accurate.

7. KaineMorrison

KaineMorrison Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the info about the HC line!

Also, I understand that a true Scaled Line would be impossible, I was just hoping for something a little more accurate than the StarShips line where they are nearly all the same size.

It would be cool to see.

Imagine a MicroMachines Sized through the DS9 HC Sized line...

8. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Eaglemoss' ships are the best quality and size I've ever seen, for the price. Micromachines were great but these ones blow them away. So happy with this collection.

Heroclix ones are generally crap but 'Attack Wing' is a great game.

9. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

Hey mr peany,got my voyager model on time from local newsagent,no problems.

10. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

11. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

So nice to finally see the Prometheus model. Looks awesome.

I just got the Nebula class, very nice. I noticed something in the magazine though, at the end of the "Designing the Nebula Class" article it says it achieved the remarkable feat of appearing in more incarnations of Star Trek than any other class of Starfleet ship.

Really? Because it was in TNG, DS9 & VOY? So were the Excelsior and the Galaxy. In fact the Galaxy was in TNG, DS9, VOY & ENT.
    Unless you count each movie as seperate "incarnations," then you could add Generations & First Contact. But then the Excelsior class was in TNG, DS9 & VOY, and movies III, VI, V, VI and VII which would be eight.

So yeah, just to be a nerd, but not really sure what they meant by that. :)

12. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

Ahh I see. Sometimes I wish I never got the subscription. Those who buy it from shops seem to get there's earlier anyway. What's the point??

13. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So we can get early access to the specials and the free gifts of course! Unless you live in the US that is...

Still no JJprise through subscription & still no 3-nacelle E-D for us. Jjprise can be purchased through many retailers here (I could buy it, but I'm supposed to get it cheaper via subscription) and the 3-nacelle E-D should've come with shipment 10 last month.

14. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have a vague memory that the distributor's website might have listed the 16th as the dispatch date for issues 6 and 9. I tried to check just now, but I couldn't access their website.

Oh, and that's also why buying it from the newsagent can be quicker, subs get their shipment in pairs rather than each issue separately. Though subs would have got issue 8 early I'm guessing.

15. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For myself, I would love some of the "canon" ships that we have seen by either model or image. With those two being high on that list. I would also include the awesome ship that was shown in images on Enterprise's awful episode Terranova. That ship was fully rendered CGI but it was presented as a computer file image, its a great example of a well detailed early Earth ship.

Really unless they start doing a lot o kit bashed ships (I hate almost all of them, the Centaur is the online I like), or they start making ships based off of the novels (sorry even with some of them designed by people on trek, I don't like a single one of them, and I don't think a single one of them would make it through the approved design approval process with the producers either), or that utterly hideous redesigned NX-01 (which I am 100% sure would never have been approved by Enterprise Producers to be used).

But I don't think we have to worry to much abut that as Trek has tons of ships that could be used, that have not been mentioned as on the list in progress.

One thing I just thought of, as the Prometheus seems to be well regarded, ow would people feel about aging that ship in attack mode (the 3 separate sections) all getting made as a special?

16. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ethros

Well I finally have had an issue with Eaglemoss service....My last extra order I only got 6 of the seven things I ordered. The extra binder I ordered was not included in the shipment. I will have to contact them about that this week.

17. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Just the other night I was thinking, what will be among the remaining issues until #70, realistically?

The three remaining FC ships Saber, Steamrunner and Norway seem likely, maybe one or two BOBW (Cheyenne or New Orleans), cool looking ENT ships (they're CGI already) - including Intrepid, Xindi-Reptilian cruiser, D5, IKS Somraw. Among starships named Enterprise, I can imagine seeing 1701-A and -J, but I would love to see the mirror NX-01 as well.

Regarding non-canon but licenced ships - cool additions Imho would be STO's 1701-F, NX-01 refit, USS Aventine and USS Titan. :drool:

Maybe they could even name the Saber-class USS da Vinci? ;)

Other viable options include USS Centaur, USS Bozeman and USS Jenolan.

It's great that Eaglemoss really does never-before-seen models in addition to producing the umpteenth Reliant. And except for the 1701 their models render any previous incarnations instantly obsolete.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  18. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I could also point out that NO ONE, not Micro Machines, not Johnny Lighting, not Furuta, ever produced the Merchantman from ST3.

19. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

The only time I've seen a Merchantman was by Fasa in the mid to late 1980's or thereabouts. I think it was made from lead or pewter. I had one, since I wanted to get as many of the ships seen in the movies as possible that they offered.

20. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

I really love the dedication they have to giving fans as many ships as possible, and way more than any other collection. I've seen the other collections that they've done and they seem to really care about the fans of these franchises. Their Batmobile collection is VERY impressive. I'd love for them to do a Star Wars ship collection some day. Although it'd be tough to surpass the quality that Fantasy Flight Games is providing for the X-Wing Miniatures game.