Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Once again, this middle-aged black dude's going to say it (about Zoe Saldana or any other black actress being Lois)-NO! I want the movie to succeed at the box office and get more Superman movies made, not be derailed by right-wingers and older fans who will be screaming about how 'liberal Hollywood' has caved into political correctness by making a main character of a beloved media property a person of color.

She was bloody good, but she's also too bloody old to be Lois now (which goes to show you about the point I made last year in another thread of mine about casting the right actress at the right time.)

2. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

In the 90's an African American Lois Lane would have been ground breaking and interesting...now...it would just smack of desperation on the part of the film makers to get as much attention for their film as possible. It wouldn't hurt the film but the intentions would be less than noble of casting a black Lois...no matter how talented the actress is.

[edit] There has been more than enough time since the Reeve Superman movies to change the ethnicity of Lois and it hasn't been done...really no reason to start now.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

There were rumors in the early 2000's that Beyonce was up for Lois Lane.

4. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Beyonce would have been better than Kate Bosworth. :rommie:

[edit] Ok, Saw it. :bolian: Interesting they are filming near Chicago.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2011
  5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think we will get some casting news this week...not sure what, but I have a haunch another role will get confirmed (I've not heard or read anything) I'm just basing this off the fact that "Sucker Punch" is out now and Zack i think is pretty much done his commitments for the most part. I'm not sure about any overseas openings yet or anything like that.

6. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm very glad Superman is heading to Chicago; more accurately Plano, Illinois which is just west of Chicago.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Why would you think that would happen? Nobody complained about Will Smith being cast as characters who were originally white in Men in Black, The Wild Wild West, or I Am Legend. We already had Billy Dee Williams playing Harvey Dent back in the '80s, and we've had Michael Clarke Duncan play the Kingpin in Daredevil. And of course there's Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury in the recent Marvel movies. On television we've had a half-Japanese actor play Superman and a half-Chinese actress play Lana Lang. James Bond's American ally Felix Leiter was played by a black man as far back as 1983, and again in the current Bond films. Heck, we've even had Morgan Freeman play God, which is bound to have been upsetting to racists far beyond comic-book fandom. And yet it didn't harm those movies' popularity.

True, there has been a minor protest over Idris Elba playing the Norse deity Heimdall in the upcoming Thor, but that's just a tiny band of racist fanatics that nobody takes seriously. I don't believe they represent the mainstream of American conservatives. And their objections certainly haven't "derailed" the Thor movie. They were the focus of attention and ridicule for maybe one news cycle and that was it. It didn't hurt the movie, and if anything it helped bring more attention to it.

8. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

This really isn't the same. Lois being African American is a significant change given the history of the character. I think it would be interesting and could be a wonderful thing as long as the film makers understand the weight of such a change...Lois being black would impact the character...hopefully it would do so in a positive way...but the film makers need to understand that impact. it isn't something that should be taken lightly.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Which is why they were not my sole examples, but merely low entries in a long list.

10. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I like this quote from Snyder:

Read more here. I'm not a big fan of Snyder's signature speed ramping so I'm glad to hear he's probably going to tone that down for Superman and give the film a more realistic flavor. That approach worked with Nolan's Batman movies and while I don't think Snyder's Superman will be as realistic as Nolan's Batman, I'm glad he's steering away from over-stylizing it.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It is, but it would represent something different in a film set in 21st century America, IMAO, than it does in - for the obvious example - the recent stage revival of the 1960s Superman musical which was set in the 1930s.

12. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Casting Zoe Saldana as Lois Lane could be really cool. I'd love to see that.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

She's just one of my favorite people in these kinds of movies right now. Snyder would be pretty lucky to get her at this point.

Fey, however, would be better - just about perfect, IMAO. Among other things she's really attractive without being an absolute Hollywood sex bomb of some kind. One of the things I enjoyed about Byrne's early run on Superman was his emphasizing at one point that while Lois was pretty good looking it was her character and personality that Clark found so irresistably appealing. I also liked the dynamic - picked up and used to good effect by Levine in the first year of Lois and Clark - that initially Kent is very much the "junior partner" in the professional relationship.

14. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tina Fey would be great in an animated Superman as the voice of Lois but, right or wrong, they aren't going to cast a 40 year old woman in the part, especially given that the actress playing Ma Kent isn't much older than Fey.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Still, it would make the character dynamic more interesting than in almost any of these super-hero movies.

16. the G-man

Not probably. It just isn't going to happen. You might as well be wishing for Margot Kidder to be brought back at this point.

17. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree that Tina Fey would be a good fit in many respects, however unlikely it may be that she is actually cast.

18. the G-man

In an incredible coincidence, I just happened to log off here and onto AICN where they've announced that Amy Adams has been signed for Lois.

Works for me.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

She the chick from Enchanted? I like her. And Nordling's basically right that she's shown a nice range.

Nordling really does try too hard, though, in a noobish sort of way.

Really? Does anyone actually feel that way? Unlike Supes himself, who's always a challenge, the range of possibilities for almost anyone else in his saga really always represent a wonderful range of casting opportunities. :lol:

20. the G-man

Yep. She's also an Oscar nominee for the Fighter.