Inception - on DVD/ BR now

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

My dad, who doesn't understand ANY movie actually followed this. :lol:

2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only twist to speak of was the reveal of the dream within a dream at the beginning. Everything else was straight forward.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah there was no real "twist" other than entire premise of the movie which is pretty much revealed right away.

I took me a couple viewing in the theater to completely understand and pick up on everything in this movie but I got quite a bit after the first viewing it just took two viewings to completely put other events together and see more things in earlier moments. This was a movie I just really, really liked.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked it too. It's already one of my favorite films. Totally blew me away.

So what exactly does that briefcase dream machine do? That's the only thing I really didn't get. Minor nitpick though.

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It induces telepathic dream comas. Duh. :p

6. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

^It allows the plot to be possible. Nothing more. The tech and science behind it is never explained, nor should it be.

7. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

People say this was a popcorn movie. I beg to differ. I brought in a bacon double cheeseburger so for me it was a bacon double cheeseburger movie.

8. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'm still trying to untie my brain after watching it :lol:

One of the best movies of the year and awesomely scripted.. Nolan firing on all cylinders.

And to think i thought "What kind of crap is this??" after i saw the first teasers and trailers which explained nothing about the story.

9. Trekker4747

Yeah, pretty much the dream machine is a MacGuffin it doesn't do anything but allow the plot to be possible. It's something you have to hand-wave away as how it works isn't the point of the story. Hell even the heist isn't part of the story. They both just are vehicles to allow them to tell the real story. Namely our perceptions of reality and more so Cobb's own internal struggles with the death of his wife and his involvement with it.

He "blames himself" for her death and he's trying to cope with that and recover from that so he can move on with his life and be with his kids again. That's what this movie is about (and why the ending is in the "real world.")

People who have lost spouses likely "blame themselves" for either not seeing the signs or not doing enough to prevent it or maybe even doing or saying something that may have caused it. (When in reality the suicide was caused by the person who committed it and no one else.) So Cobb's suffering from the death of his wife sent him on a downward spiral that made him an addict to substance abuse (in the movie the dream-machine and dream-sharing fills this role), detached from his kids (in the movie by being thousands of miles away from them for an extended time). Over the course of this movie Cobb confronts these inner demons, rejoins his life and stops blaming himself.

The dream stuff is just an interesting way to present all of this to an audience.

Now, on the DVD set, as well as on the internet, there is a a "copy" of the dream sharing machine's manual but it's more on operations and how to use it. It doesn't tell you HOW it works sort of like how your TV's manual doesn't get into rapidly electrifying pixels into a desired pattern.

But we can infer that the dream machine cycles the drugs across the bodies carrying the "dream information" with some component of the drug. Somehow it's able to do this without blood type needing to be an issue. :shrug:

It's possible better thought needed to go into presenting the device (by needing them to put something in our around their head) to give things a better sense of the brain involvement but, again, how the dream machine works doesn't matter.

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

What I'd be curious to know is how a dream of the dream machine within a dream works like an actual dream machine. :lol:

11. Trekker4747

The same way a car works in a dream like an actual car. (In that I get in it, operate it and it takes me places.) If I know how it works, or should work, that's how it behaves in the dream. The "dreamers" are able to so control their dreams they're able to allow it to work within the dream the way it's supposed to work in the real world.

12. Capt_Pickirk

Capt_Pickirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^ err... Quantum! oh wait, that's star trek