Do you like to read?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Gryffindorian, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course. Reading is one of life's most basic pleasures. When I occasionally come across someone who says "I don't read" I can't even comprehend that statement. It has something to do with cheese, right?

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I love reading. I was a book nerd as far back as my earliest years of elementary school and still love reading things ranging from classic literature to reference books and guides and graphic novels. My parents instilled me with both a respect and a love for reading and learning that I've always been thankful to them for.

Reading is part of being a well-rounded and educated human being. I don't care what you read, just read. You'll be better off for doing so.

3. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I used to read a lot when I was younger, then after uni I lost it for a few years. I picked it up again a couple of years ago though and now I'm reading more than ever, especially now that I have a Kindle. I usually have a few books on the go at once and even more on my wishlist.

4. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

As dead as a door-nail.
    Mind! I don't mean to say that I know, of my own knowledge, what there is particularly dead about a door-nail. I might be inclined, myself, to regard a coffin-nail as the deadest piece of ironmongery in the trade. But the wisdom of our ancestors is in the simile; and my unhallowed hands shall not disturb it, or the Country's done for. You will therefore permit me to repeat, emphatically, that Nietzsche is as dead as a door-nail.

:D
    (and yep, A Christmas Carol is another of my favourites)

5. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I love reading too, especially before bed. I find that doing it before bed helps to get to sleep as it puts the brain into a different mode.

6. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I adore reading, I've always been surronded by books, when I was in primary school I had as many shelves of books as toys, as a teenager I went past 200 books, the collection hasn't grown as quickly since then but I think I have twice that now, a kindle and reading apps on all my portable devices.

7. EnsignRedshirt

EnsignRedshirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've loved reading since I was a young child. I tended to read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy growing up, these days I try to spread my reading around to a lot of genres. Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, Literary Fiction, History, Memoirs, Biographies, Non-Fiction Adventure, Poetry....I bought a Kindle three years ago and have since upgraded it to a Kindle Paperwhite and I've done more reading in the past three years than I have in the decade before.

8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Me, too. :D

Wow, I had no idea that existed. I'll have to track it down. I love Hembeck.

9. oberth127

oberth127 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I love reading, I have a short attention span though and so don't read too much in one sitting.

10. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I absolutely love reading about politics, elections and statesmen. Elections and politicians might be incredibly boring and even off-putting subject material to some, but reading about Harry Truman's come-from-behind surprise victory in 1948 is more appealing to me than most stories about wizards or spies.

11. Sam_I_Am

Sam_I_Am Captain Captain

I agree with cooleddie74. I love political (auto)biographies. Politics is so exciting.

12. rhubarbodendron

precisely! And it's so comfortable and cozy. A good book, a nice cup of tea or cocoa, a few cookies - the best company in bed! (especially as contrary to other company they don't snore :D)

13. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

As some use tablets, as their readers, I'm sure you could program it to snore ;) But bad idea... :D

14. rhubarbodendron

many readers can simultaneousely play soundfiles and display books. Not sure about Kindle, but my old Sony reader can :)