Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Eh, that's not a great standard otherwise Shyamalan's racebending controversy would look like a warm summer's day.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought that announcing that the walking Golem had a semitic heritage was only a ten years oldish revelation? I first read about it on Newsarama... I can think of twice off the top of my head where Ben Grimm met Hitler, and he didn't act out worse than anyone else that hadn't had 3/4's of is people removed in a genocide.

3. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think it was always a part of his history, they just made a bigger deal of it more recently.

I think Stan Lee and Kirby (who were both Jewish boys) had that in mind when they created him.

4. Guy Gardener

It seems logical, and might have been as big a secret as Northstar's homosexuality which was decided upon almost a decade before the big reveal.

Here's a real world argument against it.... Jews weren't allowed into the same colleges as Christians in the 50s with out a mountain of trouble.

Real world counter argument: Ben Grimm was the greatest football player in the universe so ordinary racism did not apply to him.

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Louis Brandeis went to Harvard Law School in 1875, so I think you're overestimating the amount of restrictions for a talented person to go to college a long time ago regardless of faith.

ETA: According to Wikipedia, there were Jewish quotas at Ivy League schools (which would still have allowed someone to go, but would have been more difficult). However, Ben Grimm's school is modeled after NYU, which did not have any quotas. This is also the 1920s, I'm not sure what the 50s would have been like.

6. Guy Gardener

"Mountain of Trouble" not impossible.

Intolerance and abuse from the student body AFTER admittance.

You can't get into a mountain of trouble if you can't even get in.

7. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

There's a longstanding Ethiopian Jewish community, so he could be from there.

8. Alidar Jarok

Sure, he could be Jewish, but the key was the part about him being part of the Lower East Side Jewish community, which was poor, working class, tough, etc. The African American community in the United States as a whole is probably closer to that spirit than the Ethiopian community. I don't think it's his religious beliefs themselves that's important.

9. Guy Gardener

You know how Jennifer Alba is Latino and Chris Evans isn't?

Sometimes the creation of family is complicated and whacky.

10. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Jack Kirby was Jewish (as was Lee, but it was Kirby putting himself into Grimm), so they should keep that. And I meant he should be an American with Ethiopian ancestry.

11. Alidar Jarok

Jack Kirby is Ethiopian? :p

I understood your point. My point is there was more to growing up in the culture that Jack Kirby grew up in that he represented in Ben Grimm than just the name. An Ethiopian-American Jewish Ben Grimm isn't quite the same thing.

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Seems to me like there's a lot of black muscle characters in sci-fi media, I think Reed would be more interesting than Ben if they were to go that route with the casting.

13. Guy Gardener

Here's a driving force you can't get away from.

Ben's Uncle married a hot young trophy wife.

Little Benny spent his youth trying to work his way through all these conflicted incestuous thoughts about Aunt Petunia.

14. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. Although I didn't like the actual writer of the recent Firestorm, I thought they did a very nice job of making Ronnie the jock and Jason the intellectual.

There is no reason why the new FF shouldn't take a similar approach.

15. Alidar Jarok

True, but we have a specific actor who wants to play a specific character. So casting him for that character wouldn't be the same thing as simply casting a "black muscle character."

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess I was thinking in more general terms but Terry Crews is an interesting character if he wants it and is right for the part then go for it.

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

‘Fantastic Four’: Actors and Actresses Lining Up for Roles

18. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

From the actors suggested...it seems like they're going the Ultimate Fantastic Four route.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So is Saoirse Ronan's name going to come up any time a major movie is looking for a young woman now?

20. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ She's a rising superstar.