internet campaign to restore star trek final frontier starts

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by tmosler, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I don't know. This whole idea still sounds a lot like closing the shuttlebay doors decades after the ship burned up in re-entry.

I mean, it's not like we're talking about restoring a lost classic that was butchered by the studios before its initial release, like TOUCH OF EVIL or even BLADE RUNNER. It's THE FINAL FRONTIER for "God's" sake. :)

2. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Horses for courses I guess. I still maintain the movie is pretty decent even in its current state. I honestly believe with editing, and less importantly, some new FX, there's a much better film waiting to be brought into existence.

3. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Absolutely. :lol: People aren't exactly falling over themselves clamoring for an extra-special extended Director's Cut edition of Plan 9 From Outer Space, are they? ;)

4. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

I'd buy it. But then I love old B&W 50s B-movies. If Plan 9 even makes it up to a "B".

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It always surprises me when people get very vocal about NOT wanting something to be released. Like it somehow makes their lives worse.

6. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's the internet campaign aspect that always seems to get people's backs up. That there's any single consensus or the danger that one group with an opinion might be taken as speaking for everyone.

If somebody with influence wants this to happen, I expect it will. Fans can then debate its merits having bought, borrowed or stole the darn thing.

I'd welcome any improvements to The Final Frontier and have no fear a different edition, will suddenly mean its makers will have to break into my house at night to take back the original.

With DVD and Blu-rays of these films out there, it's not even remotely close to a George Lucas situation...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  7. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Amen.

8. Greg Cox

I don't know. I think it's less about saying "No, no, kill it with fire!" as debating the (rather more interesting) topic of just how "fixable" TFF is, and whether the movie's problems are primarily technical, budgetary, conceptual, or whatever. Which invariably tempts one to dissect the movie into its constituent parts--and opine on just how much of it is salvageable.

That's a discussion you can sink your teeth into, and makes for good message-board fodder.

I mean, how boring a thread would this be if everybody just said "Good idea. Go for it!" :)

9. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    The SPFX are not that outdated. And if you want to fix anything, fix the script.

10. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

The only reason you say that about the FX is because so much stuff in the last 15 years has been shot with the no-blur look. The artistic disaster of shooting miniatures in such a manner makes them strobe, which is a visual discontinuity (to put it mildly.)

The fact that this look is getting stuffed down our throats doesn't make it better, just more common, and it certainly doesn't excuse the seriously flawed planning and execution on TFF VFX. (I'm not picking on the show's physical effects - they did the best they could there, and flying a shuttlecraft full of people in to land and seeing them all disembark in the same shot was pretty snazzy.)

11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

They were outdated before the film even came out.

12. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Yeah, i was surprised someone would even say that.

I was wincing at 2/3 of the Fx shots in the theater and it was taking me out of the story often. Too much good FX had been done between 1977 and 1988 to give the FX for this movie a pass.

13. Greg Cox

I honestly didn't notice any SFX problems way back when. I just thought the story was muddled and occasionally cringe-worthy.

14. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well you can groom it all you want, get it the finest trainer, food, horseshoes and what not, but an ugly old donkey is never going to win the Kentucky derby.

15. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

What's wrong with having a nicer donkey than what you had before, even if it still comes in last?

16. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey if that's how you want to spend your money go for it. That same money and effort could go a lot further towards a thoroughbred though.

17. Greg Cox

Plus, that donkey is nearly twenty-five years old now. Kind of late in the day to try hitching it up to the cart again, so why not just put it out to pasture?

(Sorry. Couldn't resist running this metaphor into the ground.)

18. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

We still seem to be circling around that whole "Some people don't want it to happen at all just because they don't want to see it" routine. Which doesn't really matter, as it will have no effect on whether or not it might happen some day...it just seems selfish is all.

19. Greg Cox

Nah, we're just debating whether it's worth the effort, that's all. Which is what people do on message boards.

Again, what's the the point of raising the topic unless it's going to provoke a lively discussion?

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Re-write the script, then it it has a chance.