10 Reasons to Love Rom

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by dub, Nov 25, 2013.

1. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

A case could be made though. ;)

3. dub

yes...as I've learned in life and has been confirmed again and again on this board, a case can be made against anything no matter how brilliant, and for anything no matter how ridiculous. Life is one big squishy blob of subjectiveness. Makes things interesting and frustrating at the same time. For everyone.

:techman::brickwall::techman::brickwall:

:crazy:

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Rom got the prettiest girl on the show. That's all that needs to be said.

5. dub

Somehow I don't think a poll for "prettiest girl on DS9" would end with "so say we all!" ;)

6. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I was sort of paraphrasing what Max Grodenchik said about Rom's good fortune.

7. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Who, to a Ferengi, should look absolutely hideous.

Trek always wants to pander to the "beauty and the beast" trope, and DS9 went full ludicrous speed there.

8. Mister Spock

Mister Spock Commander Red Shirt

The only reason you need to love Rom is the way he goes "Moogie!!!".

9. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Who says? Did you never find a single Trek Alien attractive?

10. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wait, only 10 reasons?

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, not really. There's never been any evidence of that.

12. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Farek was repulsed by the sight of Betazoid females, but he's practically the exception that proves the rule. Most other Ferengi have been shown to lust after pretty much any species. Just as most of us would.

...It's not difficult when so many species look just like humans with spots or ridged noses or black eyes or whatever. ;)

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sure I love Rom just fine. But I love Quark better.

14. Hazel

Hazel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My favourite was always Nog. His journey to become a cadet was so touching, particularly when compared to his first appearances, while his motivations (to escape a fate similar to Rom) were compelling.

15. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll answer your question right after the following:

See below:

I was going to mention this, plus "The last Outpost", where the Ferengi mention something about humans being repulsive looking (as Ferengi would be to us. That was the whole point)

To answer the question "Do I find any Trek aliens hot?" That's an unfair question. Most of the "hot" Trek alien women clearly have a human female body (usually a hot, fit body by our standards) save some really minor difference, like nose ridges (Bajorans), Pointy ears and a bowl haircut (Vulcans, Romulans, etc). Even Klingon women tend to have nice "human" looking bodies.

Trek never really went beyond that. Every race is practically a human body with forehead ridges or spots, or shit like that.

Think how many other actual species here on earth have females that look even remotely like a human being, yet all Trek "species" do :rolleyes:

Rom was a bumbling idiot. Quark was as shrewd as a snake. It was fun watching Quark deal with his problems his way.

I hated the Quark/Odo "relationship" the first time I saw the series. On my second rewatch I'm enjoying it a lot more.

16. dub

Good to hear! That's one of my favorite relationships on the show. I'm glad it wasn't overused. Loved their final scene together!

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Rom was not bumbling. At least not at engineering - that's where his true talents were. It's only because he took so long to get there that he looked like an idiot.

It seems clear that the brothers each took after a different parent - Rom was like their father (loved his family, good at technical matters, not so good at profit) and Quark took after their mother (had the lobes for business).

18. dub

Rom sided with his moogie on women's rights and similar issues. Although genetically, you might say Quark took after his moogie even in that if you just file their differing stances under "stubborn." :)

19. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Sure, the ones that look like humans with the more comely features of humans exaggerated. :devil:

Yeah, reminds me of this skit they did on SNL a few years back. It was 'Beauty and the Beast', they're dancing and singing the song, then suddenly the beast says:

"Although Belle, I don't think you should be so hard on yourself."
    Belle "What do you mean?"
    Beast "Calling yourself a beast like that. You're not that bad."
    Belle "Excuse me? I was saying 'Beauty and the Beast'."
    Beast "Right, beauty (points to self), and the beast! (points to Belle)"

Although for Ferengi I can imagine being attracted to females of all races because they judge females based on the value of the acquisition, and not as much based on physical features. Leeta, to Rom's hormones, is a very valuable acquisition. (Even if his brain likes her for her personality)

Rom was 'Bumbling' when it came to his interactions with other people.

20. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

Maybe Ferengi find hair disgusting. Us humans generally don't find, say, body hair of the level of a gorilla attractive. Ferengi don't seem to have any hair at all (besides the ears); they might find a full head of hair just as gross (initially) as we might find a bearded lady (or even worse, a lady with serious chest hair).

But with time and exposure, that initial revulsion would go away, especially for folks like Quark who deal with all sorts of aliens every day. Besides, the body shape besides the head is pretty much the same between humans, Trill, Vulcans, Bajorans, and Ferengi, so, like a lot of men, your typical Ferengi might just focus on the nice things from the neck down...

And there's always the deviants.