Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Watching it again, I'm noticing a few things:

Simmons references "our journey into mystery." Ha-ha.

The "bus" (the plane) is called a Mobile Command Unit. Note the initials: MCU.

I'm sensing a thread about "third parties" competing with SHIELD to get their hands on alien tech, superpowered people, etc. That's probably going to be a recurring thread, that race to secure them for the side of good before evil gets its hands on them. I wonder if that blonde who discovered Ward ransacking the vault in Paris will recur. The camera paid attention to her retreat in a way that suggests she's significant.

And, okay, Coulson did say a bit more about Extremis: "It's new. Completely unstable."

I'm starting to improve my opinion of Chloe Bennet and Brett Dalton. They both give pretty good line readings, and Bennet in particular handles the Whedonesque dialogue and shifting tones/moods pretty well.

2. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I am coming to this thread a little late, but I saw this on Sony last night. Easily, I can see it becoming my new favorite show. This is because of Wheadon and not because it is a comic book show. I felt for moments the same joy and willingness to be absorbed in the universe as I used to with Buffy, Angel, and Firefly. There has been something missing from television these last ten years and that was a Wheadon series.

EDIT: And Dollhouse just didn't have that same feel.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

<< Seems doubly odd since he was an original character, and they had a blank slate for casting him with no preconceptions from the comics.>>

He was a character from the comics, but an entirely obscure one who didn't have powers.

4. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

^Care to elaborate?

EDIT: Never mind, I looked it up. It was an unfounded stretch based on both characters having a very common-sounding name.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I thought so at first as well, as it turns out, not so much.

Amongst other interesting tid-bits (Including Coulson's cellist and connecting the story to Iron Man 3), there is this...

ETA: Ah! Beaten to it! Oh, well...

6. theenglish

During the opening sequence, I thought that he was going to be Luke Cage.

7. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I missed it Tuesday night and have not read through the thread, sorry. I just caught the encore presentation tonight though and I'd grade it a solid B.

"The Bus": I see a number of potential sets and situations within
    Melinda May: mysterious/conflicted past, ass kicker, pilot; I see lots of potential depth
    Ron Glass: yes please! Great actor and this role as a physician with an inside track, yep more.
    Tahiti
    Lola: a reference to the 60's flying cars, nice!
    quote by Simmons,"Are you ready for our Journey Into Mystery?"
    Extremis mention, a sign the TV show clearly is involved in the MCU from a production standpoint. Episode filmed before IM3 released even.

Waiting to Impress Me:
    Grant: He IS SHIELD but Coulson had him interrogated?
    Skye: So wait, she really wasn't SHIELD?

While the implications of "can either be trusted and if not what is Coulson's end game with them" has me confused. Perhaps why I had trouble fully getting into either character.

Fitz & Simmons: the over talking one another will have to go. Be quirky, fine. Most of their screen time was a cacophony of noise and I was eager for a scene shift.

Didn't Go For:
    Mike Petersen, J.August did his best with what really was a cog in a wheel to a larger scheming horde of evil men in red masks. I'm hoping he's rehabed, comes back and is an asset I enjoy. Potential I think now that he's done being used by the bad guys.
    I get it though, the US release of IM3 on DVD/BR and the SHIELD show uses Extremis as part of it's premise. I get it.

So if Skye really wasn't SHIELD she goes from 'nobody' to Level 8 clearance?? Huh? :confused:

I look forward to watching it develop and think overall this was a solid premiere.

8. Turtletrekker

I think that that was an attempt to gain Skye's trust and knock Grants attitude down a bit.

As for Skye being SHIELD, obviously she will be joining the team. Hardly the first time MCU SHIELD has recruited a former threat/annoyance into the fold. Both Natasha Romanov and the couple from "Item 47" were recruited by agents sent to take them down.

ETA--

Actually, I think the fact that she's literally "nobody" is exactly why Coulson wants her on the team--
    Someone with that level of skill, as it was implied that she completely erased herself from the net, is someone Coulson can use. Also, she represents a mystery-- why would someone with that much skill, who could probably use those skills to make a mint, be living an anonymous life out of a van? I think, in the end, she is going to be revealed to be far from "nobody".

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  9. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Skye isn't SHIELD, she's a hacker who saw most of the stuff anyway, so that would explain both why they want to recruit her and why giving her clearance isn't as big a deal.

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Which might seem a little strange, if we assume that the implication of the end of IM3 holds and Stark has actually figured out Extremis to the point where it's kind of stable. He even seems to think he could have figured it out in 1999 if he had applied himself then.

11. theenglish

Is it clear that the pilot takes place after IM3?

12. Turtletrekker

Did Stark stabilize it or just figure out how to cure Pepper of it?

13. Turtletrekker

Would SHIELD have known of Extremis' unstable nature before Iron Man 3? Doubtful. For that reason, I'd guess it takes place after.

14. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I can see what you're saying and where you're coming from, but I disagree. I like it because it's light and fun and I think the light tone suits it quite well, though it's still too early to really know the feel of the show. For all we know, it could be light one episode, more serious in another, etc. Being an intro episode, they couldn't exactly jump into the deep end yet. I expect it become more serious as threats develop further on in the season.

15. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

And besides, a tv show is not like a movie. Just because the pilot is cartoony doesn't imply every other episode is going to be the same. I'm sure the show can get dark and gritty when there's a need for it.

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I thought the first episode was VERY average. :shrug:

Chloe Bennet as Skye was hot though. My weakness for attractive women will mean I will be watching the next couple of episodes. Hopefully it will improve massively in terms of writing in the upcoming weeks!

17. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, there you go. I attribute the pilot to be like the first 20 minutes of the Avengers where they're all getting acquainted, before things got serious. And if they do go with a story arc, it would most likely be framed similarly to the movies. I have a feeling that Extremis will be part of that. They were most likely just planting the seeds.

18. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I noticed that, too. It was funny, but seemed a bit random since it was actually Strange Tales where SHIELD appeared. Or were there other similar references that I didn't hear?

19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

You it just occurred to me, in Whedon's last two shows he made much more ambitious pilots which the network didn't get and monkeyed around with. Perhaps this time he's starting simple on purpose so he can pull a bait & switch down the road?

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nah.

This is the second pilot.

His first pilot made 1 and a half billion dollars.