Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

I subscribed last week, so I'm looking forward to collecting these ships! I've always been on the lookout for nicely detailed Trek ships, and these look fantastic!

2. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Got an email today stating that shipment 11 has shipped. It will include the Enterprise-E and the Krenim Temporal Weapon. So next month's shipment should be the one to include the 3-nacelle Enterprise-D...

3. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Yay, the Bajoran lightship returned to Ebay, along with some other ships. When they arrive, I'll have all of the first 19 issues. Of the extras, I've only got the NCC-1701-AGT, the version with the starkly contrasting aztecing.

So, people, I suggest you acquire lots and lots of the upcoming ships when they hit the stores and re-sell on Ebay for those of us in needy countries. ;) I am so looking forward to the Romulan BOP, the Krenim temporal weapon ship, and Prometheus.

4. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

I really should sell some of mine, since I've got like a dozen different versions of the Bird of Prey or what not...

The completest in me is having issues with the idea of such though.

5. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

A dozen different BoP versions? I wasn't aware that Eaglemoss was doing variants, paint schemes or otherwise.

6. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think he means models in general, not just Eaglemoss.

7. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Whats up with the Prometheus (and all the latter ships) release dates on the website btw?

If they follow their fortnightly release Prometheus should be out in shops a week today (24/7) seen as the Xindi ship was last week. But the site says "in shops 7/8" which is two weeks later than schedule. And then the dates of all the ones after tha follow on the same pattern. eg Tholian Ship 21/8

Anyone know if there has been a delay or is that it an error on the site? I was looking forward to getting it next week...
    http://www.startrek-starships.com/eng/index.asp

8. trekker670

They've been doing a bit of reorganizing their billing/shipment/delivery schedule, so I'd say this is just part of that.

9. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Why not wait till Thursday and find out.

10. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I know you were so interested in this answer, so I waited a week and I now have issue 25 and she is glorious. My other half hasn't watched Message in a Bottle so we may watch it later.

11. Ethros

^ Yeah I had to go into town today anyway, and managed to get the last one left in Forbidden Planet, whoop! (must have been an error on the site; I see know they've corrected all their future dates)

I'm only getting the Starfleet ships, so in the initial 40 issue run there's really only the Oberth-class and the Enterprise-B left for me (not counting the Runabout & Delta Flyer, not sure if I'm gonna bother with the shuttles)

So I'm definitely hoping to see the Enterprise-C/Ambassador-class in the next line up, and then the other 3 new ships apart from the Akira-class made for First Contact.

Out of interest out of those three classes which would most people be interested in seeing?
    Steamrunner, Saber or Norway?

None of them seem as detailed as the Akira-class really. Do you think that's why even is DS9 you never really see them up close in the same why you did with Mirandas, Excelsiors, Galaxys etc? So it'll be interesting to see what they can do with the models.

12. 137th Gebirg

I think we saw Steamrunners in DS9. Don't know about Sabers, though. The Norway model was lost/corrupted after First Contact. The latter, IIRC, wasn't as high-res as the Akira and her other classmates, yes.

13. Ethros

Yeah I remember that Norway thing. You do see Sabers & Steamrunners in the big DS9 battle scene eps like Tears of the Prophets, Changing Face of Evil etc, but they're always in the background pretty small, or whizzing by the screen.

They're never really seen up close for a good view, in the way in Tears of the Prophets (that's in my head as I watched it the other day) for example there are some great close ups of Excelsiors & Galaxys getting ripped to shreds.

A good round up, inc Akiras, Sabers and Steamrunners
    [​IMG]

But mostly the close ups are of the more familar Trek Starfleet vessels.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was just wondering whilst watching it whether that was because they were chosen to be more familiar to viewers as Starfleet ships, or if it was because the details on the Steamrunners & Sabers weren't up to scratch

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  14. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Yeah, my #4 and #5 arrived a week or so ago, and they both had numbers, whereas none of the first three did. I actually like the numbers there; I hope they continue.

Still no binder, though....

15. 137th Gebirg

I suspect, as you say, the surface details likely didn't bear close scrutiny, and the best appearance they could hope for was background space-filler. With any luck, if the DS9 episodes ever get redone once the TNG remasterings are finished, they'll likely have spruced them up for HD usage and we'll get to see them again.

16. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

For the collection they'll likely be creating new CGI templates for ships lacking enough detail (or in the case of the Norway, one at all). The Steamrunner is one that I'm really looking forward to.

So they might look into reducing costs and getting the most out of the creation of them by maybe using them in any HD remasterings.

17. Ethros

Had a look at The Changing Face of Evil again, and there are some better close ups.

The Steamrunner looks ok, the Saber though I can kinda see there's not 100% detail.
    Still I hope there are models for them; always loved those new ships.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And if they do start running out of Starfleet ships, there's always the DS9 kitbashes

Ha, the USS Centaur was cool, but really not sure on some of the others...
    (In fact, though the Centaur was a model, there must be CGI renderings of it as I recall the Star Trek Fact Files had some nice CGI shots of it, and that was back in 2002)

18. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The Akira and Steamrunner have the most completed models, still being used. The Sabre never was really rendered in any detail except for looking directly at the bow or stern.

The Norway was lost in a HDD transfer in the late 90's but there have been low pass level renders of it since then, so there is at least one shoddy model.

I think we'll see better ones being made over the next while, if only for things like the collection.

19. trekker670

20. 137th Gebirg

Never been a big fan if the E-J but I must confess, ever since seeing it on Azati Prime, I've wanted to know what it looks like from all angles. It's probably one of the least-seen and least-understood canonical ships. Still wondering if the decks are laterally stacked instead of conventionally. Hopefully the accompanying book will flesh out this one in particular.