Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray Audio Issues

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by TrekToday, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

That's the worst thing about Amazon, sometimes they don't bother sending you the cardboard sleeve along your dvd/bluray purchase. You have to buy it at a store if you want to make sure to get the sleeve.:vulcan:

2. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes this is annoying. Think I should try emailing them about sending me my damn cover? Now my sets wont match ;(

Then again im pretty sure I lost my tos.blu ray outer cover, so im pretty sure im not worthy anyway

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Yes, you definitely should email them. You spent your money to buy the thing, and you deserve to get everything including the sleeve.

4. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hate those cardboard sleeves I always stick them straight into the recycling.

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, the cardboard sleeve is annoying and I always toss it.

6. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

You bin 'em! Really? Totally respect your opinions, but I feel the card slips add a lovely touch of class to the packaging. Not as attractive as some of the steelbooks I have on my shelf, but appreciated nevertheless.

7. Trekker4747

There's no reason to keep it. The information and picture on it is usually the same as the box itself and, really, it's just a hindrance to get to the actual discs. A pointless hindrance.

8. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They really bug me. Partly because the are a total waste of resources and partly because they slow down getting into the disks.

9. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Totally with you on this one. Personally, I could never throw away the package! It's part of the whole thing and adds to the feeling that it is something special. And honestly, how long does it really take you to take the box out of the sleeves?

Maybe it has something to do with me being a graphic designer. I could never throw away a beautifully designed piece of paper. Something another designer probably spent a lot of time working on it.

10. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

I keep the sleeve too. I think of it as part of the total package.

11. Trekker4747

I guess "throwing it out" is over stating things. It gets boxed with a bunch of other keepsake stuff that I have no active need for. The sleeve really is useless when it comes to the DVD box and more gets in the way than it add anything to the box. It's not like a box-sleeve that many other DVD sets comes with where the boxes contains the folder/book of discs like the other series have.

This, however, like all BDs these days is just a box that covers a standard Blu-Ray version of an Alpha Case.

It serves no function other than to get in the way. Much like the dust-jacket of books which I'm also not much a fan of.

12. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

They can be, but most of the time they aren't, or the person doing the encode, especially on a disc where there is already a seperate 2.0 track, just throws a bunch of numbers into the section. And the TNG discs have not had their 7.1 mixes encoded for 2.0 mixdown; the encoders have left that up to the machine to do, just as Blu-ray and DVD players have been doing since 1997 with DD or DTS 6/5.1 mixes. So with the TNG sets you are losing information, just like you were if you listened to the 2002 5.1 mixes via the RCA connectors.

13. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Finally received the 'correct' disc set from Amazon today. New Delta's were on the packaging, and all the discs have Delta's on them too. :) Bring on Season 2.

14. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm really frustrated with deluxe. Still have not received my discs despite requesting them on Aug 2nd. I called and they just said it could take up to a month so not to worry until then. But seems like everyone else has already received them.

15. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

I wouldn't worry about them too much. They're slow. I only received mine on Monday.

Where did you buy your set? Will they not exchange them?

16. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

How are you determining that?

17. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Received my replacement set from Play this morning in the UK. The new ISBN is 5051368241838; the old is 5051368236636. Starfleet deltas on the discs and packaging, but the ISBN barcode background is still in white.

Amusingly, the old version has a warning for "Contains mild language, violence and sex references"; the new has "Contains fantasy horror and gore". Perhaps they changed more than just the audio and a few fx...

18. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd just like to add my two cents and mention that I finally received my replacement discs today and am super happy. I really have no intention to watch them at this point but overall I think they handled it pretty decently.

I was worried I'd never get them; I'm glad my worries were unfounded :D

19. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

Since the issue seems resolved for all comers, this thread will go gently to sleep on Oct. 1. Last call for comments and observations.

20. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Actually no, it hasn't resolved for me. As I said earlier, the people from startrek.de (who manage the replacement program in Germany) have written a mail to everyone who bought the defective set and ask them to send in the faulty discs, after which they send the replacements.

But coming here, reading about how the issue is handled in other countries, I don't accept that. I don't understand why I should act, when it is them who screwed up. So I wrote them a mail demanding to get the new discs without sending in the old ones first. I also gave them all the serial numbers on the discs.

Haven't got an answer for almost two weeks. :scream: