Hey, um, anybody see Tuvok? *spoilers for Trek XI*

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by USS Kongo, Jun 5, 2009.

1. USS Kongo

USS Kongo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks to recent events in the NuStar Trek movie, I was just wondering if Tuvok from Voyager is still around. You think he is? :shifty:

Sean

2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Tuvok is still alive and kicking in both universes. He wasn't born on Vulcan, but rather on the Vulcanis Lunar colony. Here. :)

3. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

According to MemoryAlpha, Tuvok was born on Vulcanis Lunar Colony in 2264.

So he probably would still be around.

4. USS Kongo

USS Kongo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh, ok, never mind then. :)

Sean

5. cwl

cwl Commander Red Shirt

But what if one of his parents was on Vulcan when it went bye-bye

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

^ Possible, but it's just as easy to say that they weren't.

7. cwl

cwl Commander Red Shirt

What if the disaster at Vulcan had an impact upon Tuvok's parents in some way?

8. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Well the writers have said that the previous generation of characters will still end up being born so I think that Tuvok will be just fine.

9. stupor

stupor Ensign Newbie

I was just having a look at the Memory Alpha entry for Vulcanis Lunar Colony and it says it's not clear where this colony is located. I'm thinking that 'Lunar' only pertains to Earth's moon, as much as a Martian colony could only be located on Mars. So is it possible that Tuvok was born in our neighbourhood?

10. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

I dunno, for some reason the addition of the word 'Vulcanis', rather than 'Vulcan' would make me think otherwise, so it could be an odd translation issue. Unless there's a specific location on Lunar that's called Vulcanis?

11. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Lunar" is an adjective, a descriptive word, not a noun.

It also doesn't have to apply to Earth's moon, but could apply to the moon of any planet.

By the way, and this is for nx1701g...

When did the writers say that later characters are still intact in the movie's universe/tiimeline?

Can you provide a link?

The closest any of us heard is that the original timeline still exists and hasn't been erased.

12. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

I was under the impression the specific use of the phrase 'Lunar' is meant to distinguish Earth's Moon from others. Like how the phrase 'Terra' is meant to distinguish our planet from other 'earths'

I'd also be interested in this.

13. stupor

stupor Ensign Newbie

Someone is following what I'm saying. It reminds me of the DS9 episode 'By Inferno's Light' where Dax questions the wisdom of going to warp while in a 'solar system'. There's only one Solar System and it's ours... Sol distinctly refers to our sun only. The correct generic term would have been 'stellar system' or specifically the Bajoran System. So following this line of thinking, as far as I can figure is that there must be a colony called Vulcanis on our moon.

14. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Well, the term for Vulcan has always been either Vulcan or Vulcanian. There were two ways of saying it. It is entirely possible that there is a Vulcan colony (going by the other name for Vulcan) on our moon, serving a function like a consulate or embasy

15. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I tend to follow the Farscape theory of messing with history when it comes to NuTrek: If you can get things close to the way they were before the alteration, the time-space continuum will fix itself and get things as close to the way it used to be as possible.

16. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course, it is entirely possible that the "Vulcan" we see in TNG and so on is in fact the new Vulcan colony. After all the sky is a different colour, and particularly in TSFS and TVH the population seems sparse and the planet very different.

17. Rob Grant

Rob Grant Lieutenant

fp

18. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always interpreted "Vulcanis Lunar Colony" as referring to T'Khut, Vulcan's sister planet, seen in the original version of Star Trek: The Motion Picture and named in the novel Spock's World.

19. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So Captain Pike will meet with a horrible accident that will render him further incapacitated? Maybe he accidentally rolls his wheelchair down some stairs and into a fire pit? ;)

20. Strider

Strider Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Billions of dead Vulcans rules out that possibility methinks.