IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by serenitytrek1, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

For half the run of DS9, the main antagonists were a rehash of a TNG alien. :p

What's important isn't "have we seen it before", it's "is the way we are seeing it now good". "Original" and "good" aren't even correlated with one another, they're two completely unrelated concepts and neither so much as implies the other. I mean, yes the TNG introduced Ferengi. But the Ferengi were horrible, annoying, gamboling goblins in TNG with nothing interesting to them whatsoever. Being original didn't make them any good; they weren't any good until DS9 took the race (instead of coming up with a new one) and did interesting things with them.

Markonian and BillJ like this.
  2. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

As were the main antagonists in the latter half of Voyager.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do any of the comics between Into Darkness and Beyond explain what happened to Carol Marcus? The end of STID makes it feel like she's going to be sticking around as a full time crew member, but then she's gone by the time we get to Beyond and there's no mention of her anywhere.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, there's a time jump of nearly 3 years between movies. Not that they couldn't do a story about her departure if they thought there was something worth telling there, but a crew member moving on sometime in the course of 3 years is a lot less mysterious than it would be if the films were set closer together.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I understand there was plenty of time for her to have left, I was just curious what happened to her.

7. Christopher

Understandable, but you were talking about it as if it were some kind of a mystery. I just don't see it as a big deal; I was used to seeing crewmembers appearing and disappearing all the time on TOS.

8. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Nope, she appears in a few post-STID issues and disappears without explanation.

9. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They didn't have a "where did Sulu go/welcome back Sulu party" episode or throwaway line when he took a break to film something else, and they didn't have a "let's introduce Chekov to everyone" episode when he became a regular. Shows didn't think like that as often. These days, new team members for cop shows get a welcome episode, or a series of episodes where so and so is introduced to the team some other way and gradually works toward becoming a team member.

10. Christopher

You could also see this with TOS's sister show Mission: Impossible. For six seasons, characters were swapped out without explanation, just stepping into their predecessors' roles as if they'd been there all along, and pretty much written identically as well, modified only by the actors' performances. But by the time season 7 came along in the early '70s, TV was starting to develop a bit more interest in continuity, so when Barbara Anderson temporarily replaced Lynda Day George during the latter's maternity leave, they gave Anderson's Mimi a debut episode showing how she joined the team, and put in references in several episodes to George's Casey being on temporary assignment in Europe.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC, Simon Pegg said that earlier versions of the Beyond script mentioned Carol (and a few other Into Darkness tidbits) but the lines were cut from later drafts.

Enterprise1701 likes this.
  12. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

My theory Marcus and Kirk had an affair and things did not work out (again) hence Kirk's depressed state at the start of Beyond

Markonian and Enterprise1701 like this.
  13. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I laughed out loud when I realized Christopher was explaining that not every little difference in Star Trek needed an explanation.

14. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Oh that is ironic.

Enterprise1701 and Jinn like this.
  15. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After a time, you may find that needing is not so similar a thing after all as wanting.

Markonian likes this.
  16. Interstella5555

Interstella5555 Ensign Red Shirt

Does anyone know what is happening with the IDW comics now that Boldly Go has ended? I've caught some of the Mirror Universe titles but is anything going to happen in the Prime or Kelvin universes?

cheers
    Cammy

17. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Some comics are still slated for publication (such as the wrap-up of John Byrne's New Visions series, TNG: Terra Incognita, and the last couple Discovery: Succession issues), but they announced that they were putting the brakes on further, post-Beyond Kelvinverse comics for the time being, possibly due to wanting to have a slightly better idea of what the next movie's going to do, storywise. And as far as new Prime Universe comics, no word yet, though that will likely change down the road, here.