15 Reasons JJ "Ruined & Destroyed" Star Trek

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by doubleohfive, Oct 9, 2012.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Trek: If it can't raise humanity, it will raze humanity!

2. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    Teacake: There isn't anything new. You missed nothing. It's more of the same, really, and most of it is, imho, just pedantic nitpicking.

3. SheliakBob

SheliakBob Commander Red Shirt

I don't want to suggest that life in the world of NuTrek is an endless torment of crushing despair and desperation...but I did sign up for a TrekkieDating profile.
    Somedays, I'd just like to sink my Narada in a black hole and never come out.

in retrospect, that last bit sounds kind of...well...oh nevermind.:confused:

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hopeful?

5. CommanderRaytas

Sounds like one of Riker's horrible pick-up lines, that's what it sounds like. :p

6. teacake

But.. they WORKED!!

Not on me of course.

7. CommanderRaytas

I wanted to leap to my feet and shout in protest before reading the second sentence in your post. :p

Honestly, how could anyone fall for those lines? They were ghastly. *shudders*

8. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised they could only think of 15 reasons :borg:

Honestly, I hate the 2009 movie more than any other movie I've ever seen (with the possible exception of The Dark Knight). I wish nothing but failure for JJ Abrahms, he's a complete hack. Compared to the 2009 movie, ST5: TFF and Insurrection were cinematic masterpieces. It just sucks that my favorite franchise has been utterly destroyed, atleast when it comes to movies/TV. We'll never get a good movie, or a normal TV show, ever again.

I want Star Trek to be sci fi, not a mediocre action movie that was made by people who weren't even aware that Star Trek existed before some morons hired them to make the movie. I could spend hours ranted about the problems the movie had, about things like the Enterprise apparently being steam powered because of all the pipes, or the fact that having so much lens flare seems like a bad idea on a ship where people probably need to not be blinded to run it. But in the end, only one thing really matters. It wasn't star trek. Nothing in that movie even resembled it, atleast past a superficial level. It didn't have the heart that Star Trek did, it was made for people that watch Michael Bay's transformers and think its the best thing ever. It ruined every single original series character, with the possible exception of Scotty. The guy playing him atleast seemed to be ok (although obviously not anywhere near as good as James Doohan). Its fine if others like it, its all just a matter of opinion. Personally, I'll just hold on to my memories of the real Star Trek, while abrahms drags its corpse through the mud every few years with another idiotic action movie.

9. F. King Daniel

:lol:Tell us what you really think.

You mean like Harve Bennett (STII) and Nicholas Meyer (STVI)?
    And, for that matter, Stuart Baird (STX)?

10. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

There, there... everything's going to be all right.

11. kirk55555

I'm not saying everyone who has made a good star trek movie/worked on good parts of the series need to have been involved/watching it since the 60's, its just that I don't think Abrahms even knew the franchise existed, based off how horrible the movie is. To be fair, the same goes for the writers, and I just found out that the writers also wrote Transformers (the first one together, and #2 with a third guy). Suddenly, everything I posted comparing it to Transformers makes even more sense. I was just comparing the audience for both, but I never imagined the first two Transformers movies and Abram's abomination share the same writers. I figured the writers were hacks, but I didn't know it was that bad.

:rommie:

I get worked up when it gets to Abrams horrible monstrocity. I could rant for hours about why I hate it. I try to just ignore it, but now and then I just have to let my anger out :klingon:

12. F. King Daniel

While we're probably never gonna agree about the quality of the movie, I want to point out that those writers also wrote for the TV series' Lost and Fringe.

Bob Orci is a die-hard Trekkie who even has shelves of the novels, and IIRC Alex Kurtzman is on record as a TNG fan, whose favourite episode of any television show ever is Next Gen's finale, "All Good Things".

JJ Abrams was a casual occasional Trek viewer prior to being hired to direct STXI.

13. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

14. kirk55555

Lost sucked, and I've never seen Fringe. I do call BS on the writers being fans. No big fan of Star Trek could write this garbage (not to mention Transformers 2). As for JJ, if by casual you mean that at one point, sometime in his life, an episode of Star Trek played on a TV in a room he was in while he was doing something else, that I can believe. Besides that, I'm really surprised he didn't mistake Star Trek for Star Wars and end up having Spock talk like Yoda :klingon:

You're right about us not agreeing about the movie, and thats fine. I just wish it wasn't the new standard for star trek in movies. It has no substance, goes completely against everything the show was about, and spends most of its time just contradicting everything that came before it seemingly just to piss of the fans that made star Trek survive for so long. I just wish they would put star Trek out of its misery. What was once an amazing sci Fi series has turned into a mediocre mainstream action movie by the people that think Shia Lebeouf should have more screen time in a movie about giant robots than the giant robots.

I'm totally expecting two racial stereotype ensigns in the next movie, then the transformers formula will be complete. You'll have your pretty special effects (the "Enterprise" that looks like a two year old designed it, complete with actual windows on the bridge, a steam powered engine, and lens flare generators), an annoying female character who gets too much screen time (seriously, mediocre Uhura gets more lines than decent McCoy?), various annoying secondary characters (Chekov is a blonde? And his accent is so thick that the highly advanced computer can't understand him?), main character(s) who are just stupid (Bill Cosby would have been a better choice for Spock, he definately would have played the role better), and plot inconsistances that you can fly a borg cube through.

How do you beam aboard a ship at warp, if that ship has been traveling at warp for probably hours and is light years away? Transporting while its at warp isn't the problem, the distance is. What about giving a cadet, who hasn't graduated from the academy and doesn't even have a commission yet, command of one of your most important starships? Or a starfleet officer marooning a person on a ball of ice, instead of sticking the person in the brig? I don't think starfleet supports jettisoning insubordinate crewmen on dangerous worlds/moons. What about the fact that they apparently installed steam engines, complete with hundreds of pipes, in their starships? Why did spock bring what looks like enough mysterious "red matter" to blow up every planet in the federation, if he just needed a small drop to stop the explosion? How does a sun go nova out of nowhere, anyway?

Ok, I think I need to end my post now. I'm really starting to lose it. I think I've gotten a lot of my anger out of my system now. For a few hours, atleast :rommie:

15. teacake

So you're calling them liars?

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

They're overestimating their own personal relationship with the franchise. ;)

17. teacake

But how in the world would you know this?

18. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

By looking at the difference between the talk and the walk. It's like that guy we all know who says he loves his girlfriend and cheats on her.

19. teacake

And yet many of us think the walk is an amazing tribute to the Trek we've known and loved for years.

It's one thing not to like the movie, but to accuse the writers of bullshit as far as their past Trek interests go seems a little seedy.

20. kirk55555

I think they are lying, just so they don't seem like such hacks. "Oh, see, we like Star Trek, too" to try to get in with actual Star Trek fans. Its possible they're not lying, but if they're not then that just means they're fans who happen to be horrible Star Trek fanfic writers who got hired to actually do a movie based on the franchise. I can see a studio hiring people like that, especially after they worked on the "amazing" Transformers movies. Wether they are lying (I think this is more likely), or are actually just fans who suck at writing Star Trek, the fact remains is that they wrote the worst Star Trek thing to ever see official release.