How about a captain Pike(bruce Greenwood) series?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Jayson, May 3, 2009.

1. alexianyc

alexianyc Ensign Red Shirt

The OP asked about a series starring Greenwood Pike.

And I frankly don't see how that would work - and neither did you - given that he was captain of the Enterprise for 10 minutes, and his fate in the reboot timeline. I can see how it would work in the prime universe, however.

Not that I have any interest in seeing it. Greenwood did fine with the role, but his Pike's function was as Kirk's mentor, and now that's done. Plus, I think the lead in any new series should be younger than pushing 60.

2. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I know. That's my point really: Greenwood is the New Trek Pike. But then, somehow, some people want the old Pike. Old Pike's gone, people.

Also interesting: Jeff Hunter was born in 26 and thus was 38 when The Cage was made. Now, that episode was supposedly in 2254. ST09 is in 2258, 4 years later, yet Pike is played by an actor who was 53 at the time.

3. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Pike was captain of the Enterprise for only a short time in the nuTrek universe. Having him star as the lead character in a series that showcases Enterprise missions doesn't make sense. Pike serving as the commander of another vessel is possible, but why devote an entire series to yet another prequel?

What timeline are you referring to? Is this hypothetical series to take place in a third reality, or is it a reboot of the primary universe Roddenberry created? I don't understand your point.

Based on the scenes showcased in "The Cage," there doesn't appear to be much of Talos IV to explore, as the surface of the planet was devastated by war. Are you suggesting that Pike explore the other planets within the Talos system?

Don't misunderstand me. I don't mean to be critical of your idea, as it is somewhat intriguing, but I don't know that there's much a series featuring Christopher Pike has to offer to TV viewers.

--Sran

4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Not everyone likes the same thing.

5. Captain Clark Terrell

I don't have a problem revisiting the primary universe, but any new Star Trek series should allow for the opportunity to learn about new characters, races, or places. Using familiar characters in anything but guest starring roles doesn't make sense, as there's only so much material that can be devoted to characters fans already know, even a character like Pike, who appeared in a small number of episodes. There's also the added problem of introducing information and story elements that contradict the events of other series, as Enterprise came perilously close to doing. It would seem prudent to avoid making similar mistakes in any future spin-off.

--Sran

6. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure there won't be a new series any time soon. If ever.

7. Belz...

I realise that, but I don't understand why some people are dead-set against the idea of starting from a clean slate, and won't give the New Trek a fair chance.

8. Captain Clark Terrell

I think you're right. If there were a possibility of a new series, it stands to reason we'd have heard something about by now. I remember hearing about Enterprise almost two years before the series was on the air.

It seems to me that nuTrek is getting its chance on the big screen. Why does it need a TV show in addition to two movies? I don't mean to demean the more recent films, but they're never going to win a popularity contest with series and films featuring the primary universe. Trying to force the new universe on fans by including it in a television series isn't likely to have a good outcome.

--Sran

9. C.E. Evans

Because not everyone likes the same thing--that's Trekdom 101.

There are people who like [INSERT SERIES OR MOVIE HERE], but don't like [INSERT SERIES OR MOVIE HERE]. It's been that way since TMP (if not TAS), and it's not going to stop with the Abrams movies, nor with whatever comes after Abrams.

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Are you aware that this is quite contradictory?

If "they" don't allow a show with anyone but Kirk as Captain of the Enterprise, then they certainly won't allow a show with any ship but the Enterprise. And a Robau/Kelvin show would also be a prequel to the prequel.

11. Captain Clark Terrell

I agree. And as I said in my earlier post, nuTrek has been given its chance with two movies (with a third film to follow). Why does it also need a television series in addition to the movies that have already been produced, particularly after the controversy that's arisen because of misgivings about the new films? A television series based in the new universe will be just as polarizing as the films have been. That's not conducive to having a TV series that's successful, in any universe.

I'm not opposed to a series featuring a vessel other than Enterprise. I would even welcome a series showcasing a non-Federation ship, but I suspect that I would be in the minority. In any event, I would hope for a television series that featured new characters as opposed to characters fans are already familiar with. There's nothing wrong with original ideas.

--Sran

12. marksound

What is the fascination with Robau? Or the Kelvin, for that matter. Ugly, ugly ship in my opinion.

I don't get it.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

He is the only truly original character in all Abramstrek. And in the few minutes he appears in it, he is also the only truly likeable one. I guess that's the true reason for the appeal. ;)

14. marksound

Original in what way? Likeable? How, exactly? We don't know anything about him, except that he walked into an obvious trap.

15. Captain Clark Terrell

I think you answered your own question. He represents Star Trek's answer to Bobba Fett, a unique character whose background is unknown. We've seen only his demise at the hands of Nero, but so many details of his life preceding that point haven't been discussed. Fans often find such characters fascinating.

--Sran

16. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The timeline split when Nero came through the rift. So until the final 10 minutes of Robau's life he lived in the original timeline with all previous Trek shows. By asking for a Robau show, people are asking for a show starring a character from the Abrams movie, but set in the original timeline (or more accurately, the shared timeline).

17. marksound

And ... ?

18. Belz...

Who said anything about "need" ? This is the Trek we have now.

I already said I realise that. I don't like Indiana Jones 4, but I'm not asking them to retcon and ignore it. If they happen to make another Indy, fine. I'm not saying I don't understand why people don't like the new movies, I don't understand why it's such a big issue.

Original and likeable ? How so ?

19. C.E. Evans

Well, if you realize that not everyone likes the same thing, then you'd understand that also applies to the new movies--not everyone likes them either. It's not really a big issue, it's just the way things are, given that not everyone is the same nor has the same likes or dislikes.

20. Captain Clark Terrell

I'm not sure if there's enough material on which to base an entire show. A short novel series or TV movie is feasible.

--Sran