Spoilers VAN: Storming Heaven by David Mack Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Mar 19, 2012.

?

Rate Storming Heaven.

1. Outstanding

68 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. Above Average

24 vote(s)
    25.3%
  3. Average

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  1. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Re: Vanguard: Storming Heaven by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

^ I'm glad you feel the finale lived up to its promotion, as well as to the promise of the series itself. It also pleases me to hear that my handling of certain key moments and issues worked for you, as well. Thanks for your review!

2. YubYubCommander

YubYubCommander Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Just finished it today and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had a feeling on how certain things were going to wrap up and was pleased to see that my guesses were correct. Can't wait for the trilogy this fall

3. psyche1701

psyche1701 Ensign Newbie

Just finished Storming Heaven and I have to say it didn't disappoint - it was awesome!

I don't know how Mr Mack does it - but I just couldn't put the book (well my kindle) down... I promised myself I would savour each moment of this last ever Vanguard title, reading a little and then putting it down so I didn't race through it - but it was just impossible to do so. In the end I just gave-in and plunged headlong into Storming Heaven until I was done. And - WOW. I'm speechless. I finished the last page and I was like... crikey. It's really over. (I imagine Mr Mack had similar feelings when he finished writing!)

The book has such a feeling of 'ending' threaded throughout much like Star Trek 6... we're told things have to end, nothing stays the same... you CANNOT avoid the inevitable. Genius *SNIFF*

So yes, very sad that it's over but... my... WHAT an ending! :bolian:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  4. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I just started. not much of an impression short of the ending will be costly im lives and material.

5. starri

starri Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I can't really add anything to the discussion, except to say this:

To David, Marco, Dayton, and Kevin, thank all of you for sharing this amazing story with us. It has been an honor and a privilege, to be invited along for the ride.

And, if I may offer one small comment, Storming Heaven may contain the single most elegant retcon I've seen in any iteration of Star Trek, whether on TV, the big screen, or in the published form.

6. David Mack

Thanks. It would have been easier had the Reliant been looking for Ceti Alpha IV in TWOK rather than Ceti Alpha VI, but one must work with what one is given... ;)

7. psyche1701

psyche1701 Ensign Newbie

I agree 100% - the whole Ceti Alpha V/VI thing was a stroke of genius... and when put together, is so seamless and brilliant. I didn't see it coming at all which made it even sweeter. Thank you!

And anyone else just love Manon's departure? In that one short scene we learn so much about her and feel so heavy-hearted as she is forced to move on from somewhere she finally called home... sigh... *wipes eyes*

MUST go onto Amazon and get a good review written on there!

8. bok2384

bok2384 Commander Red Shirt

Manon's departure was a brilliant scene, but then there was so many brilliant departure scenes. Pennington picking up that flower from the Bombay memorial, Quinn saying "goodbye" to Pennington. I liked Tom Walker and Maggie(?)'s departure as well, but the sad thing was the destruction of the holographic sky on Star's Landing. That really spelt the end for me.

And then there was Doctor Fisher. I was saddened that Mack had seemingly retired him off, but when he came back and was subsequently killed, I was really mad! :klingon:

I must praise that nice little scene with M'Benga though. If things had worked out differently...

9. starri

I thought it was rather beautiful that the two people who helped T'Prynn start to make peace with herself were Pennington and Quinn, the two people who had the most reason to hate her.

I wish we'd gotten more between T'Prynn and Pennington, because the scene in Precipice where she asks if he will ever forgive her and he tells her he already has was probably my favorite scene in the entire series, but absent that, Spock helping her rediscover her music was also rather nice.

And while I don't often get weepy at fiction, I have to say that Pennington wanting a cutting from the Bombay tree--and the fact that they made sure it with them when they abandoned the station were really lovely.

10. Judith Sisko

Judith Sisko Commander Red Shirt

I've read it three times. Each time, I enjoyed it more than the previous read. I don't know what I could add to the comments that have been made already except that the final scene warmed my heart when the boat rowed away with its occupants.

"I prefer to think that Apollo met me... Enterprise out." LOL!

I voted Outstanding.

11. David Mack

^ It's heartwarming to read such heartfelt reactions. Thank you all for sharing — it's nice to hear which specific moments resonate most strongly for folks.

12. DWMarch

DWMarch Captain Captain

An enjoyable read and a great conclusion to the Vanguard saga!

I have always like the more mature tone of the Vanguard series and this title is no exception. I appreciate that there wasn't a conventional happy ending and that the Starfleet mission actually ended in what could be described as abject failure.

I also liked that Quinn isn't entirely healed. Knowing he's able to cope with his demons works better than having them magically erased or purged by T'Prynn's mind meld.

The in-jokes were excellent and I have a feeling I didn't pick all of them up. The one I loved the most was Ensign Felicia Knight, which I'm assuming is a reference to the wonderful Felicia Day. I also liked Xiong's "...and then I'll take the office!" I agree with the above posters who loved the Ceti Alpha references as well.

There were two great Kirk moments: first, him stomping out of Nogura's office after hearing the Marcus family was on Vanguard and second "I prefer to think he met me."

Did Desai actually wait a full day for Pennington and Reyes to row across the lake?

My only complaint is that I never did get Lt. Theriault in a leather skirt. However, I'll assume that in the haste to get everyone combat ready, her leather skirt was the only thing she was able to pack and she spent the next six months wearing it. :devil:

13. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Still at it. Things must build up slowly then everything falls apart very quickly. Kirk has appears for the first time, presumably not the last.

14. Aaron McGuire

Aaron McGuire Commodore Commodore

Finished it last night. A brilliant, bittersweet end to the series. I rarely get attached to fictional characters, but I could't help it with this group. Throughout the entire series, all the writers made the Vanguard crew three-dimensional in a way that few others are. After I finished, poured a couple of fingers of 17 year Macallen to toast the crew.

The part where T'Prynn mind-melded with Quinn was sweet and beautifully played. What started as T'Prynn doing her duty for Starfleet became an act a penance for all the sins that she had committed in Starfleet's name.

Ezekiel Fisher's death had me saying "Oh no, Zeke!" :(

Pennington saving the cutting from the Bombay tree was touching and heart-breaking.

Well done, Mr. Mack. Well done indeed.

Aaron McGuire

15. David Mack

Thanks, Aaron. Glad you enjoyed the last wild ride with the Starbase 47 crew. :)

16. starri

One other thing I've been wondering: Was Mog's order for his engineers to stay at their posts after they'd been irradiated just a call-back to TWOK, or was there also supposed to be a reference to the Fukushima 50?

17. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ I didn't get the impression it was a throw-back to anything or inspired by any particular event. I just thought it was an instance of facing death with bravery, self-sacrifice, and a sense of duty. The final battle was filled with them.

18. David Mack

^ Correct. The scene in question wasn't inspired by any particular real-life event, just the idea of "We who are about to die salute you."

19. starri

Fair enough. It was a great scene regardless.

Also, not for nothing, since I read it on Kindle, I hadn't gotten a really good look at the cover, but I was in Barnes & Noble yesterday getting the Song of Ice and Fire boxset as a present for my husband, and happened to see Storming Heaven on the shelf and....yowsah!

20. David Mack

^ Yeah, that's pretty much how I felt when I first saw the cover art by Doug Drexler. He's the Man. :)