Upcoming New Frontier novel up for pre order on Amazon

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by borgboy, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

You typed that post on a computer or other electronic device. Therefore, you already have an e-reader. There's free software available for reading e-books on any electronic device -- your computer, your tablet, your phone, heck, even your TV in some cases. You can even download an e-reader plugin for your browser in, like, 20 seconds, although it probably won't be as good as something like Nook, Kindle, or one of the other dedicated apps.

2. Nathan

Nathan Commander Red Shirt

Chris, you are right, I have a computer and yep, I could read an e-book. Just not preference. I still have a newspaper subscription but when I am out of town on business, I still want my local news, so I read it on-line.

Is it my preference to read local news on-line? Nope, I like the newspaper spread out with my breakfast.

Is it a waste of money to have the ink version of a newspaper subscription? I suppose some would say so. I just enjoy the ink version of a newspaper next to my bowl of cereal than having my Ipad next to my bowl of cereal as thumb through the screen.

And yes, there are some newspaper sites I read on-line only and not gonna bother with a subscription. I just like my local newspaper as "the juice is worth the squeeze"

Could I read an e-book (and as I said, I probably would read a Nelson DeMille Book as an e-book if push came to shove). And yep, I probably would read it in an office setting if I didn't have a laptop, Ipad, cuz I really wanted to read the book etc.

Would I enjoy the story better if I had it paper format, hell yeah, but I have to make do with the e-format.

But since I'm not into New Frontier, the NF E-book, "The Juice Ain't Worth the Squeeze".

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I won't even watch a TV show on my computer. I'm sure as hell not reading a book on it.

Part of the joy of reading for me is that I can accomplish it without any kind of electronic technology. I can lay on my couch with a book in my hand and keep my computer and phone is a totally different room so that I can't be disturbed.

Trying to read a book on an internet-capable device is just asking me to get distracted.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

And I still find it totally surreal to see so many people expressing their disdain for electronic media... in posts on an Internet bulletin board.

And like I said, it's the absolutism I just don't get. Preference means "I like X better." It doesn't usually mean "I will die before ever trying anything other than X." Most of us will make exceptions to our preferences from time to time. That's just part of life. You can't achieve much in this world if you aren't flexible. If you can read 95 percent of a fictional series on paper but need to read the other 5 percent electronically, why is it so intolerable to make that one temporary exception? It's not like you're being asked to give up paper books forever. What's so horrible about just once in a while?

5. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

My only reason for wanting the NF in paper is that it is propably the last one of the serie and I want it completed in paperform.

6. Nathan

Nathan Commander Red Shirt

Chris,

I don't think its disdain for electronic media, just preference. Yeah, I read electronic media daily, but when I am gonna enjoyment reading, I want a good book to read.

Yes, I've watched movies and tv shows on my computer, I'd rather watch the same movie on my HD 60 inch TV at home. Like the airplane trip example, I've seen movies on the plane....it's better than nothing, but I still enjoy my TV at my home.

So far there has been nothing in e-book format in Trek Lit that I need to read and have enough stuff in my "To Read" list of read books.

I just read your recent post on your blog about travelling. I still can't believe how when you travel it such a big production for you (I guess since I've travelled in foreign countries and back in my Army days, travelled in a sandstorm with people wanting to kill me so I have little sympathy when you gripe about being in a rain storm.

But for whatever reason, you don't like to travel, so I will respect that.

Using your argument, I should say "Hey people travel all the time, and Chris you must do some type of travel daily, why do you make such a big deal when you travel from Ohio to Michigan? Just be flexible!

I suppose if it ever gets to where books are only in electronic media, I'll read e-books, until then, I'm gonna enjoy a book the old fashioned way with a paperbook.

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

In the days before BBSs, "Star Trek" fans had to communicate with each other by sending letters to the lettercol of their fan club newsletter, the DC Comic, "Starlog" magazine, an APA zine, finding a penpal, or - gasp!- meeting in person at a club meeting or convention.

And yet, you made the leap to BBS?

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

You can turn off the internet on most devices.
    For me there are just way to many things you can on a device that a paper book for me to not prefer e-books. I do still have two whole bookcase shelves of paperbacks that I got before I switched to 100% e-books, but once I'm done with them I don't see myself getting any more paper books as long as e-books are an option. There a few books I want to read that aren't available in e-book formats, so I will get those in paperback.

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I never thought I'd used Internet resources over my book collection for Trek stuff, but things like Memory Alpha and Memory Beta are so accessible while typing answers on a bbs that I find myself diving into my Star Trek room only very rarely these days. Similarly in my teaching job, all mandatory syllabuses are now available online as searchable PDFs when I'm programming units of work. There's probably no going back once the habit is instilled.

So far, I've resisted recreational reading in e- form but, esp. for out-of-print stuff and rare music downloads, it's becoming essential.