disney, and the star wars eu

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by safarial, Apr 5, 2013.

1. safarial

safarial Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Well, the the "canon-osity" of the EU has always been questionable to me anyway. The Lucas "multi-tier canon" approach basically meant, "canon until contradicted on-screen". In other words, "not canon". And I say this as a fan of the EU.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

As a huge fan of the EU, particularly all the novels... I think they SHOULD reboot the continuity.

We've had, what, 75 novels to tell the post ROTJ story now. The Big Three are pretty old at the point of the novels now.

Only thousands of people have read the EU novels. Millions will see the Sequel Trilogy. There is no way in hell that the makes of the Sequels will, or should, be beholden to the old continuity only a few know about, which was conceived in the 90s before we knew anything about the Prequels.

I'm looking forward to an entirely rethought post-ROTJ continuity, one more closely in line with the movies (read: less Empire Remnant Super Weapons, more Dark Siders).

4. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Eh, I can't get too worked up. I'll miss the Clone Wars TV show. But even if Disney made movies that thoroughly contradicted the show ... I'll still have my BluRays ...

This reminds me a bit of how Abrams tweaked the Star Trek universe. In which case, I say: Have at it. I can enjoy the new material while still being able to reminisce with the old.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Buts its not like what happened with Star Trek which I had no problem with it. The difference is that 6 films that have already been made will not be affected at all. The new trilogy will be a direct sequel. Only the books would be disregarded.

6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

To Disney, Star Wars means the recognizable elements - Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, Artoo, ole Darth - the characters that a random person in a mall in Cleveland could rattle off from memory. That's what they paid $4 billion for.

Expecting them to value the EU is like expecting them to care about Snow White's backstory from the original tale. (Whatever happened to poor Rose Red anyway?)

My main question is about ole Darth. Once upon a time, he was the Star Wars brand's single most valuable asset. When the first two movies came out, he was everyone's favorite character.

Sure, his brand has been badly tarnished but Disney isn't going to give up on a asset with such huge underlying value. They'll find a way to resurrect the guy, either with James Earl Jones or a sound-alike.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Sadly, I think what's going to happen to the old EU novels is what happened to the Clone Wars Micro Series. They'll yank all the copies off the shelves and never sell them again, because it would conflict with the new product they're trying to sell. They want to avoid reader confusion.

Remember, the EU writers were forced to kill Anakin Solo because the powers that be thought casual readers would confuse him with Anakin Skywalker.

8. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, kinda. According to this...

I'm certain Disney cares about the "big 3" - but don't think they haven't been paying attention to the Clone Wars TV show as well. Heck, there are little kids Star Wars fans out there that haven't even seen the original trilogy.

9. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Nothing happened to her, she's from a different fairy tale, in german the tales are called "Schneewittchen" (Snow White) and "Schneeweißchen und Rosenrot" (Snow White and Rose Red). It's a translation issue, the two Snow Whites are not the same character.

10. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Tweaked?

11. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love the original trilogy. I love the prequel trilogy. But to me, the EU is Star Wars, which is why the announcement of a sequel trilogy which would beyond a doubt destroy the EU has saddened me ever since it was announced. And it's become even worse with Disney's making clear that they no longer want to publish the rich tapestry of interesting stories featuring original characters in different eras, and instead want to focus only on tie-ins to whatever will be in theaters next. And so, I've recently come to the decision that I'll be treating Star Wars as having two separate continuities (not parallel universes, completely separate continuities). The first will include everything that has been published up until the Mouse destroys everything, and the second will be nothing but the movies. I will be ignoring the "New Fift-EU" that Disney will inevitably create.

12. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Wars, wars, wars! When will the galaxy ever know star peace? :p

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Bingo. We're talking entirely different orders of magnitude here, in terms of the potential audience. This is the only practical way to go.

14. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'm not trying to upset the dedicated EU fans out there, but I am actually rather excited by this. I am old enough to have purchased Splinter when it was first published and devoured the Zahn novels and what came after until about midway through the Vong arc I realised that I just wasn't interested any more. There had been too many so-so novels, too many characters I didn't take to, too many political reversals and I just lost interest. I stopped reading and shortly after, abandoned Star Wars altogether. I've seen around half of the Clone Wars show.

I am actually interested in SW again by this restart. I may even pick up the (inevitable) novels in the new continuity. I am happy they've ditched the dross and may make a better job of it this time around. As for the good stuff that's also ditched, I can live with it.

I'd like to see a tighter reign on it this time, less books (unlikely I know) with better authors, better quality control, less contradictory stories and less filler.

As a nod to the old stuff, a final novel with some sort of time JJverse time-travelling (time walking ?) reset would seem the best option to me. I am sure some characters and events will make it into the new EU anyway. I hear Mara Jade and Chewie are dead at the moment.

For me, it's Welcome Back Star Wars. And welcome back Chewie, welcome back...

15. Captain Nebula

Captain Nebula Commander Red Shirt

You know, they could always make the new movies be in a parallel universe.

:wtf:

16. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I've thought that the EU has needed a reboot for several years now. The EU has been very lackluster since the New Jedi Order ended. It's gotten too bloated and just too dark. I don't want it to be puppies and rainbows but a little more lightness and fun is needed. The new films will destroy a lot of the EU but I'm cool with it.

17. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Why would anyone get upset? Nobody is going to be made to throw their books, games, toys, or anything in the fire. You still read it and enjoyed it.

Personally I think the EU is getting a little too 'out there' anyway - at least he post-RoTJ stuff. I gave up after Fate of the Jedi book one.

18. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yeah well.. you lie down with a giant and he's bound to roll over you.

While some of the EU material is really good most of it is just bland pulp fiction for fans of the brand.. stuff you read in passing while on the train or something like that.

I've had my share of EU books but after the huge New Jedi Order series i was pumped out and quit.. it was always the same, i.e. the big Three encounter some huge problem and manage to solve it.

Now they've obviously branched out a bit.. i loved the X-Wing series for example but in the end the EU was about the Solos and the Skywalkers and i'm ready to move on.

I can only assume there are true long term plans because i doubt Disney will cash over 4 billion if they didn't know exactly how to get everything back and make a tidy profit on top of it. They are in the process of it.. closing down unprofitable Lucasarts is just one step and i believe Disney couldn't care less about EU continuity.

If it's profitable enough they'll either restart the whole EU or just disregard the glitches bound to occur between the new movies and established EU material.

I really hope they give the old guard a good sendoff in the new movies and then cut ties for good and let the new guys take over to build a new universe. Considering the talent they're hiring Disney seems to be serious about it which get's me a bit hopeful that all age groups will be satisfied with the movies and maybe the new EU bound to spring off it.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The forthcoming "Crucible" novel series already sounded like the final Big Three story, so I hope it ends with a bang and some deaths and marks the end of the current EU.

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

There's more to the EU than the novels, which I agree have become very mediocre in recent years. Most of the good stuff can be found in the comics nowadays.