Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lynn Minmay, Feb 21, 2012.

1. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

I'll be VERY disappointed if they tone down Analyzer's blatant sexual harassment.

2. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

The cool thing about Analyzer's inappropriate behavior is that it gives the fan service a story/character component rather than just being there. It's also awesome that this robot can become drunk. :techman:

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I've been following the progress of this ever since I heard about it a few months ago. Now THIS is how to do a remake (IMO). Unfortunately, there haven't been too many details if this will be a simple verbatim remake with upgraded animation or if they're going to be interweaving new concepts into the old framework. I'm hoping for the latter but the former would do just as well for me.

As always, I will reserve judgment until I see it, but I am very gratified to see a resurgence in interest for this particular title. Yamato/Star Blazers was a watershed anime event in both Japan & the US back in the 70's and 80's and it's high-time that a new generation gets to enjoy it.

^^^ QFT! :techman:

4. 137th Gebirg

I've been following the progress of this ever since I heard about it a few months ago. Now THIS is how to do a remake (IMO). Unfortunately, there haven't been too many details if this will be a simple verbatim remake with upgraded animation or if they're going to be interweaving new concepts into the old framework. I'm hoping for the latter but the former would do just as well for me.

As always, I will reserve judgment until I see it, but I am very gratified to see a resurgence in interest for this particular title. Yamato/Star Blazers was a watershed anime event in both Japan & the US back in the 70's and 80's and it's high-time that a new generation gets to enjoy it.

^^^ QFT! :techman:

Yep - www.starblazers.com

They've been working up monthly reports about this project and have been at the forefront of all things Yamato in America for over a decade now.

5. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

Enjoyed starblazers, Ordered the Live action Yamato Blu-Ray and was dissapointed, didn't like the changes to the Gamilions, plus it had way too much Soap opera melodrama for my liking. the movie felt 30 mins too long. Some scenes were way too drawn out....SFX were great though. I'll prob check out the remade series regardless. I'd love to see the original macross get this kind of revival though, I've always favored it a little more anyway.

6. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Makes me wonder if the anime movie that was released in concert with the live action movie was actually a probe to test the waters for this project.

7. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Was a big fan of the live action movie actually. Yes some of the changes are a bit jarring at first, but to me they made sense. It was hard enough compressing an entire tv series into two hours without having an entire new series of characters (i.e. The Gamalons) to introduce and give any screen time. And I'm not sure that painting a bunch of guys blue would really work live.

Wouldn't surprise me if they toned down Analyzers antics just a bit. I'm sure they don't want to completely turn off female fans.
    Same reason they're adding at least one more female to the main cast.

8. 137th Gebirg

IIRC, when Yamato was first released, it started off its life as a series and then was later cut down to a 130 minute theatrical release after its popularity was determined. They can do it again.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  9. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Making Gamilus into bugs sucked the drama out of the film. What was good about the TV series was that Gamilus looked human, this effected the crew. It made it difficult to fight an enemy similar to them.

Making them bugs was just computer game shoot-em up crap.

Andorians anyone?

10. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

I am definetly watching this.

11. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not entirely clear what they were, but I don't think they were "bugs". They had the ability to scuttle around, but were sort of bipedal and could run like humans. The novelization calls them "Gamilasborgs". They may have been an artificial race created as host bodies for the crystalline Gamilas life form.

12. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, with Japanese filmmakers tendency to completely change stories between the film any tv versions of shows (See Macross and Arrivederci Yamato) I was actually pleased at how well they stuck to the original storyline.
    Honestly, Dessler/Deslock is a great character, and I don't think the film could have done him justice with only the few brief scenes the aliens were given in the movie. And turning over 15 minutes of the story to the Gamilas would have really hurt the plot. They made the right choice imo to keep the emphasis on the humans.

Thats all I'm sayin'.

I thought more people would have been upset about the ending.

Trivia: The voice of the Gamilas leader from the ending of the film was actually done by Desslers original voice actor. Plus look carefully at the crystaline humanoid figure that appears on the bridge. The profile looks very familiar.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  13. 137th Gebirg

^^^ That, plus Analyzer was done by the same original voice actor as well.

14. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Space battleship yamato was what got m in to Anime way back when. I suppose this is going to hit the same type of sitaution the recent Live Action film did in the U.S. (basically, we'll never see an official dubbed or subbed release:()

I'd LOVE to b wrong tjhough as it really does look like they are keeping the same basic feel and while using miodern animation techniques are really trying to preserve the overall look and feel of the original Yamato series, which is is BIG win in my book.

I'd LOVE to get the Blue Rays with a dubbed or subbed English language track; or see this distributred to the U.S. in some form.

15. Lynn Minmay

Lynn Minmay Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

16. 137th Gebirg

:drool:
    I need a cup to contain my drool...

17. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

18. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

So it's only going to be available legitimately subtitled?

Sorry, but I find subtitles annoying.

I'll wait and hope for a legit dub version.

Though the trailer did look good.

Is the LA movie available dubbed?

19. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They're talking about the disc for the Japanese market. This just means the people who prefer subtitled versions won't have to settle for an inferior product from a US distributor.

20. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

I take it that's a "no" to all my questions then?

Is HG's business office still being a PITA about keeping everything but Robotech out of the US market?

That's one thing about HG that just burns...the dirty business dealing that's kept a lot of product out of US distribution chains.