Star Wars: The Old Republic anticipation thread.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chaos Descending, Jun 10, 2011.

1. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Which one? The Foundry or Maelstrom? They're different.

Make sure you take the balloon ride. :techman:

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Tatooine is a fun planet to explore, due the wide expanse. I had heard good things about Nar Shadaa and was looking forward to it, but that planet was dull and quite disappointing and wasn't at all what I'd expected from it being in the Jedi Knight series. Tatooine was a breath of fresh air, and despite the grinding I've had to do on it, I haven't minded all that much due to it being more of a fun planet to do it on.

3. CorporalClegg

As far as scenery, I think Alderaan is the best. The thranta ride from the last spot in Glarus Valley to the Imp space port is probably the longest taxi ride in the game. But the views are amazing.

I've taken said ride even when my QT was available to just look at the mountains.

Voss is really beautiful too, and the caldera on Belsavis is its own brand of epic, especially on pvp servers.

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hear it's worth it. :)

Having said that, I'm terrible at jumping accurately under pressure and suspect the scenery will be my only reward. :lol:

I'll probably give it a go, though.

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^The balloon is actually one of the easier "jumps" to do. It's the waiting for it to get in position that gets annoying. When I started playing, I got every lightside datacron in the game. NEVER AGAIN. Those were the most frustrating hours of play. (yes, hours, in some cases)

6. CorporalClegg

I've gotten every cron in the game except for the +3 Strength in Shadow Town on NS. I've spent hours on it, but I just can't get up onto that light. I've tried every trick in the book (including the jump backwards with sprint off) and I still over-shoot it.

7. sojourner

Are you talking about the republic +3 strength? If I remember right, I aimed sort of for the wall and the light at the same time. If you get my drift.

8. Owain Taggart

How do you even jump onto the balloon? As far as I know, you can't jump very high and I'm not aware of any force jump in the game. Is there a point where it's more reachable?

9. CorporalClegg

Yup. I tried that over and over. ;)

There's a pile of wreckage on top of a mesa in the far SW corner of the Dune sea. You can run up it (the wing?) and the balloon travels right up next to it. You can pretty much walk right on.

10. sojourner

11. Owain Taggart

Thanks. I just might have to check that out now after I finish the bonus series :) Man, Tatooine has lots of content. Just when I thought I was done, it's sending me to parts of Tatooine I've never been to.

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

The Foundry. I can only assume Maelstrom is the Republic equivalent since none of my republic characters have levelled up that far yet.

As for the balloon, I did notice it and guessed it's purpose, but had no idea where it stops or gets close enough for you to jump on and wasn't about to spend an hour blindly following it around in order to find out. ;)

13. Holdfast

I was going to do the balloon ride yesterday, but got to the pick-up point about 30s too late. So I went and killed some cyborg zombies instead. Whizzer is right about that quest being fun. :cool:

I'm definitely going to miss Tatooine once I finish up the bonus missions. Environment makes such a difference to enjoyment of a planet. Nar Shadda was just too claustrophobic to be really fun, despite some interesting quests (except when riding the speeders through the city from one point to another). But it sounds like Alderaan looks good too, so I'm looking forward to seeing that.

I will say, the quickbar restriction is starting to bug me now. I've had to discard some useful abilities because I just don't have room for them there, and other things (like relics) are slightly annoying to use. I'm enjoying the game a lot, though. Enough that I think I'll end up buying something from the shop to unlock the extra 2 preferred status quickbars at some point.

14. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I actually quite liked Nar Shadda overall, which says something since I detested Coruscant's dull, endless closed in metal streets. Well, shadow town was a bit of a pain in the arse will all the mobs in tight spaces. Even with a character with stealth it was hard to get around without getting into a scrap every other minute.

At Lv43, the quickbar situation is beyond acute. I'm not looking forward to flashpoints where I can't tank properly.

15. Owain Taggart

Yeah, same here. I'll likely end up doing that soon as it's quite restrictive otherwise. I'll likely end up getting more medical probes to revive myself with. It really does change the dynamic, as you mentioned before, and this way I'd kill two birds with one stone.

And yeah, I'll miss Tatooine too. I kind of wish they'd make you return to some of the planets later on, but I guess the game's a bit too linear for that.

I didn't mind Coruscant so much, but it's more the fact that Nar Shadaa was too similar, so much so that everything could have taken place on the same planet.

Finally made that balloon journey thanks to Clegg's instructions. Even had an Imperial along with me and we had fun dancing around during the trip.

16. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

Just started playing and it seems like I got to level 12 pretty fast on my trooper and jedi knight. At what level does the grind start or is it a fast run all the way to 50?

17. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

You don't necessarily have to give up on the balloon datacron if you missed the pick up.
    If someone else is on the balloon or the crawler a bit of teamplay can get you up there directly.
    Some classes have the ability to rush/jump a target from great distances or pull a target. You can use that to your advantage and save at least half an hour of waiting time.

18. Holdfast

Exactly my thoughts.

Again, I agree. I liked returning to Korriban briefly to get Kallig's Mask and would like more of that to-ing & fro-ing. It would give the story an even more epic quality instead progressing neatly from one to the next.

I'm on something around 29/30 at the moment IIRC, and on my current planet have taken to stopping to kill random beasts en route to the next mission instead of just speeding my way through without a fight. I'm doing this because I'm starting to notice a slight need to grab a few extra XP here and there to keep up with the curve. I suspect by around 35-40, I'll need to start actually grinding somewhat.

Caveats:
    - I'm FTP, so gaining XP at a reduced rate (I did use the Legacy level unlock to mitigate this a bit on class quests and exploration XP though)
    - I've only done a few heroic/flashpoint missions so missed out on their XP. I have done all the (non-heroic) bonus missions so far though.
    - FTP also means a very low limit on space missions (3 per week), so you can't just do loads of those to quickly boost your XP.

In short, I think if you're a subscriber, you'll probably never have to actually grind but if you're FTP, it's going to start happening about 2/3 of the way through. I might be wrong though; I'll soon find out. :)

19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

The bizarre thing about it is that if you're a subscriber, you're essentially paying for the privilege of not having to play the game as much as those that do so for free...a bit arse-about-face if you ask me.

20. sojourner

Fixed it to make sense on why you pay.

Well, I just canceled my subscription. haven't played in over a month and just have no interest at all anymore. It was fun while it lasted.