Stargate Atlantis CANCELLED

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by James Bond, Aug 21, 2008.

1. James Bond

James Bond Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

According to Multichannel News, Stargate Atlantis will end it's run on SciFi at the conclusion of season 5. According to the same source, a 2 hour TV movie will be made next year to air on SciFi, followed by it's DVD release.

Stargate Atlantis Ends Sci Fi First Run After Season 5

:( :( :(

2. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

I feel sad. Even though it was in need of some help I still feel sad. :(

3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Gateworld has confirmed this...

SCI FI can fuck themselves, the show is only 5 episode into its 5th season with higher ratings than 4. MGM don't you dare give them the 3rd show or anymore shows.

BSG and Stargate made that shitty network and they get repaid with 3 canned shows.

go on Daddy and Nuts gloat about it :rolleyes:

4. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Given the ratings this was to expected still it's sad news.:(

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I normally don't post in this forum (Only seen bits and pieces of all the stargates) but this is shocking. I thought Atlantis was going well for Scifi? Ratings were decent, they win a People's Choice and now the show is canceled? With BSG leaving, Doctor Who not on very much and now Atlantis canceled, I guess this is the very end of "Sci-Fi Friday." As someone who watched shows like Farscape, BSG, and liked the whole Sci-Fi Friday thing, this is kind of sad. :(

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Can't say I'll be sad to see it go. Here's hoping that Joe Flanigan, Connor Trinneer and Robert Picardo can get on better sf/f shows quickly.

There are too damn many really excellent genre actors who aren't on good shows. :mad:

From SyFy, and I've been wondering when the dollar's slide would start hitting Vancouver productions:

The ratings were decent, so it must be the exchange rate that was the nail in the coffin. This will start impacting other sf/f shows in Vancouver. Maybe they can get some decent credits in New Mexico or other inexpensive places? How about Utah, that's some stunning scenery and it can't be that pricey.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Damn. I was still liking Atlantis. Granted, I like it a lot less ever since they got rid of Weir.

I never managed to watch it on TV, though, since I work Friday nights. I always had to wait for the DVDs.

Perhaps SciFi wants to get the 3rd Stargate show on the air, and they know that it won't happen until Atlantis is done.

8. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

FUCK!!!:scream:

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Most TV shows nowadays are lucky to get one full season, let alone five. SGA had a run--I wouldn't necessarily call it a good run--but five seasons is nothing to sneeze at.

Hopefully now TPTB will sit back and take a break for a couple of years, and hopefully let the batteries recharge. Like Trek after Voyager, Stargate could use a bit of a break. Of course, UPN didn't let Trek have that break, so I wonder if MGM will give Stargate one.

10. Rÿcher

Rÿcher Fleet Captain

I say "BOYCOTT SCI-FI" They have shit for programming anyway! Just buy the DVDs of the shows you watch and skip them on sci-fi fridays!

those a-holes! :scream:

11. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

My reaction, sadly, was the same as when the word came that Enterprise was cancelled in season 3, namely, "Oh, thank God, now they can do it right." In Enterprise's case, that would be in the novels, and in Atlantis's case, it'll be with the DVD movies (which I've quite enjoyed). Season 4 was the weakest year of Stargate, and the episodes that have aired so far in season 5 are all right, but haven't been enough of a turnaround to really get me fired up. Now, hopefully, the show will continue to get its footing back, and the next fifteen episodes will be so mind-blowing that, by the end of the season, I'll be sure they've gotten their mojo back and regret that the series isn't going to continue (as I was when Enterprise was actually cancelled, in season 4). As it is, though, I think giving them some time to recharge their batteries, and a large enough budget that they lose their irrational fear of actually using the damn stargate once in a while (I don't even need "romancing the gate," just show the thing turn on more than twice a season) is the best possible outcome.

12. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I can't really say I'm surprised by this. Sci-Fi seems to be dumping most of its programs in favor of the cheaper to produce movies.

13. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

Gah. I'm torn on this. I loved Seasons 1-3, but thought 4 and 5 were mostly crap. On the other hands, Atlantis is one of SciFi's highest-rated shows at the moment, so it makes no sense to me to cancel it. And with BSG ending in 2009, Atlantis cancelled, and Doctor Who taking a year off, SciFi only has one proven show heading into late 2009/2010. If this was a normal network, someone's head would be rolling about now. But SciFi has an amazing tendency to frak everything up.

Sorry for the small rant on SciFi, but I'm through investing anything in their shows. $5 says Eureka is killed after its fourth season, for no good reason.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

^At the time Farscape was canceled, I believe it was also their top-rated show. They don't know what they're doing.

15. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That is fucked up beyond belief. Sci Fi is canceling their first run shows left right and center. First BSG and then Atlantis? I mean seriously, wtf? Oh that's right, they got Caprica and Sanctuary. I give those two shitfests one season at best, just like Painkiller Jane and Flash Gordon. Idiots. :rolleyes:

16. James Bond

James Bond Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Joseph Mallozzi has confirmed the news on his blog (his confirmation came in post #49).

The general consensus seems to be that MGM in fact pulled the plug so they can focus on DVD movies, and of course Stargate Universe. I was actually pretty much expecting this to happen ever since they said that they wouldn't launch SGU until after Atlantis ended.

Those motherfuckers. I'm starting to get really pissed off right about now. :mad:
    It wasn't the best show, and it was inferior in just about every way to a lot of other shows, but I loved it. Even when everyone trashed it, I stood by it, just like with Enterprise.

17. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

If MGM pulled the plug then thats due to the new owners who took over it a while back, didn't Sony buy out MGM ?

SG-A had some sort of 6th season in it and if its so dam expensive mive the god dam franchise to America.

18. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

Farscape - 4 seasons
    Sliders - 5 seasons (2 on SciFi)
    Stargate SG-1 - 5 seasons (on SciFi)
    Battlestar Galactica - 4 seasons
    Stargate Atlantis - 5 seasons

I'm seeing a pattern here. Sliders is a bit of an exception to the SciFi rule, as it had a whole saga of a behind-the-scenes issues, but the others were all highly successful (for SciFi) at the time they were cancelled. Eureka will probably be cancelled after the fourth season at this rate, and then what will SciFi have? Nothing. And good riddance to them.

ETA: Wait, MGM pulled the plug? Oy. Even better.

19. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

They've also got Revolution and Warehouse 13 coming down the line. And of course all their silly movies and horrible reality series. They might actually need the timeslot.

20. witchie

witchie Commodore Commodore

I can't really say I'm upset about this. I'm past the point of being angry about S4. I'm apathetic, so that makes the cancellation sort of a non-event for me. I've been keeping up with Gateworld, and it seems that while the ratings were okay, there were other factors that would make the difference between renewal and cancellation. I think people can blame the success of the SG1 movies. MGM saw a way to save themselves some money.

Boy, the SGA panels are going to be hopping at D*C.