(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Not when he was playing at Ninian Park every other week that's for sure!

We played Leeds off the pitch last night. Shame we couldn't have upped the goal difference, but they have their keeper to thank for that. And fair play, Snodgrass' equaliser was lovely. Big win for City though!

Also, don't let the media fawning fool you: Leeds are a dirty side. They played next to no football and had the ref on their side all night. The only foul we could have got from them would have been if their defender had shot Bellamy in the box. Outrageously poor officiating and filthy tactics.

2. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Incoming loan signing imminent apparently.

I suspect that we'll not see any permanent inwards activity during this window, which is ridiculous. GSE have constantly said that there will only be investment for players when the time is right. We're into the new year and we're 3 points off the playoffs in what is the most open Championships in many a year. If the time isn't right now then it likely never will be.

4 points from the last 2 games, things getting back on track now, especially with Porter, Davies and Addison back from injury.

Re the Forest game, we've had a few of those performances this season, as luck would have it, one would have to be against Forest! :lol:

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Any idea on the loan signing? Can't be Loovens as he's injured.

Nige said three players, I was hoping at least one of them would be permanant, and hopefully the striker or midfielder, we're not too badly off in defence when they're fit.

Trouble with having Porter and Davis back is there's no guarentee how long they'll stay fit, especially Davis! Shame really as he;s v talenter, just seems to be made of glass!

4. Angel4576

Only name I've heard is Kevin Phillips, but I don't know whether I believe that or not.

Clough seems to be sending out mixed messages regarding permanent players coming in during January. I would hope that we find a permanent replacement for Hulse up front at the very least so that we don't have to keep loaning in strikers (Moore, Kuqi etc).

Addison's back now and will provide cover either in central defence or in the holding midfieler role.

Ideally I'd like someone in a bit like Commons, creative. Bueno's talented, but sometimes (Monday) he just can't do it.

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Kevin Phillips, not exactly the pacy striker we need!

Addison is useful in either role, I'm just concerned about his fitness levels after so long out, it might take a while to ease him back in. I guess another playmaker might be useful in midfield, especially if Kris doesn't sign a new contract (and a Forest fan friend of mine--I know, I know disgraceful--says the situation now sounds very familiar to his last year at the reds.)

6. HappyDayRiot

So who's going first: Hodgson, Ancelotti, Grant or Houiller?

This is my favourite midweek fixture list ever!

7. Angel4576

Bizarre, but fascinating, not to mention amusing! :lol:

My money's on Hodgson being the first to bite the bullet, his position is untenable surely.

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah it'll probably be him, although Ancelotti might pip him to the post, and surely Houllier can't last long; lousy results, pissed off many of the players and the whole Liverpool worship thing...not the greatest of starts to a managerial career. Grant can't last much longer either!

Texted a friend of mine who's a Villa fan and said if I was Randy (ha ha) I'd get shot sooner rather than later or else they'll be playing us next season, and not in a good way! Personally if Hodgeson does get the bullet I reckon Villa would be a good choice for his next club, let's face it he's a good manager. Personally though if I were Lerner I'd bring McClaren home from Germany...before he gets sacked! :lol:

Odd really cos I thought Hodgeson, Houllier and Grant were all good choices (or at least not terrible choices) meanwhile Pardew seems to be doing ok, but I don't think his honeymoon period's over yet, be interesting to check in again come the season's end...

9. chineserapper05

chineserapper05 Captain Captain

liverpool sucks, don't they? :(

and what has happened to chelsea lately?

10. Angel4576

Hodgson is a decent manager, it's just that Liverpool were the wrong club for him at the wrong time. To be honest, it's probably in Roy's interests as much as it is in Liverpool's for him to move on. Liverpool are going nowhere fast.

Chelsea, is just a bizarre situation. Apparently Worzel has sanctioned transfer monies for Thatsyerlotti to spend in January.

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Chelsea's lack of foresight has caughted up with them, they don't produce enough at youth level and make losses every year. They can't spend enough money to fix it. When you do buy BIG why the fuck spend so much on Ramieres who is out of his depth.

Man City will end up like Chelsea eventually, I don't care how much money the have you can't keep spending, spending and spending.

Liverpool will be shit for a long time no matter whose in charge, far too much dead weight there.

Arsenal have the money and just need a few smart buys like a world class goalkeeper, CB and CMD. Tottenham biggest problem is defence, they need to sort it out before they can challenge for the title.

Man Utd are Man Utd they keep going no matter what.

12. Angel4576

I'm still wondering how Arsenal didn't manage to find the net last night.

Man City sat back, happy to play on the counter, which is fair enough, but on another day, Arsenal could have had 5. Felt sorry for Zabaleta, didn't feel that he did much wrong in the confrontation with Sagna.

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well it seemed a logical move for both of them, I think unfortunately Liverpool fans didn't realise there was going to need to be a period of things getting worse before they get better. Almost be nice for them to get Benitez back then dissapear down the plug hole, just because you were a big team doesn;t mean you have an automatic right to be one.

Not sure how much influence it had, but it's important to note that Chelsea's shit form started at around the same time Wilkins got the push, coincidence? Who knows but like Jax says they don't seem to have invested nearly enough in youth.

I don't always like the guy, but you have to give Ferguson credit, for the past few years Utd seem to have a weaker team season on season, yet they keep marching on. Maybe it is just that winning mentality, but I pity the poor bastard that follows Fergie!

14. Angel4576

The initial good work by Benitez has been completely undone at this point, largely by Benitez himself. In my estimation they're possibly worse now than they were under Houillier, and nearly as sh1te as they were under Souness. Until Roy's able to get rid of and replace players like Kyrgiakos then he's on a bit of a hiding to nothing. Seriously though, is Kyrgiakos keeping Agger out of the side?!

When you look at Liverpool's squad, with the odd exception it's just incredibly average. How Lucas, Ngog, Konchesky etc get anywhere near the first team for a supposed top 4 team is beyond me, they're just not that good.

Yes, it's odd isn't it. I woould never have guessed that the Wilkins effect would have been so profound. Possibly isn't anything to do with that, and just a coincidence, but you never know. The wheels have definitely come off their bandwagon, and come off pretty quickly. Given how Chelsea came to find success, I can't claim to be exactly heartbroken at their 'crisis'! :lol:

Like him or loathe him, I don't think you can deny the fella's brilliance. For my money easily the best manager of the Premier League era, and probably one of, if not THE best manager that the English top flight's ever had. All of which means I agree, it's tough sh1t for who ever follows him. In a piece of twisted irony Darren Ferguson's recently become free, let him have the thankless task! :lol:

15. HappyDayRiot

If Liverpool were to win the Championship next year, would it count as their 19th?

Sorry but I find Liverpool and Chelsea's woes hilarious.

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well the Wilkins thing seemed awfully coincidental, I think sometimes people don't appreciate how instrumental an assistant manager can be. I still don't know if it was the loss of McClaren, the loss of Stimac, or the loss of both that was the main cause for us begining to tail off after 1999 for example.

I'm just wondering which would be funnier? Benitez returning, or Dalgleish?

17. Angel4576

Was Benitez's departure before the new lot took over? I think it was wasn't it. I think a lot of the Liverpool fans were still behind him at the end as well weren't they? There's probably a realistic chance of him returning! Geez......

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Stranger things have happened, I jusrt don't get why Liverpool fans rave about him so much, but sure he could come back in and spend millions on more average players, why not. Bout time a big club went down again ;)

19. HappyDayRiot

I'd laugh myself hoarse if Liverpool and Villa went down. I only fully recovered from when Newcastle dropped when they beat us 5-1 at their place the following January - Liverpool and/or Villa would probably keep me going into my 30s!

20. The Inquisitor

The Inquisitor Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

^ I think I would haemorage if Villa and the red shite went down. We have them tomorrow, should give them a pasting. Feel sorry for Hodgeson, he's a good manager but would be better suited elsware. Benitez left an awful mess. Very funny.