The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

New Walking Dead Action Figures have been released!

http://dailydead.com/todd-mcfarlane-shows-off-new-walking-dead-action-figures/

From those pictures, Daryl looks the best! :rommie: :techman:

2. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

Do we really have to wait until Feb?!

I kind of figured Sophia was going to be in the barn. Too bad really. But it does show that nobody is safe in this series.

3. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

As much as I love this show, that's not necessarily true until one of the 'regulars' dies. Sophia was not a key character, as gut-wrenching as that scene was.

4. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Some observations:

I'm guessing the walker that attacked Andrea in the woods that Maggie and Darryl killed was probably the the one that bit Sophia I'm guessing because Sophia was obvious bit with in the first 24 hours she was missing. This is because Otis put her in the barn and we meet Otis the second day when he shot Carl and then was with Shane at the school after. So Sophia was bit not to long after she went missing.

The barn walker woman that had her mouth blown off was Herschels wife, I know this not just because it was confirmed in the Talking Dead but when I was watching the episode when you see Herschel talking to Maggie in the kitchen the camera angle delibertly lets you see the pictures on the refridgerator and on of the pictures was Herschel and his wife so I knew that was her when she came out of the barn.

Speaking of Barn, how do you get newly captured walkers into the barn without them all trying to overwelm and attack you??

5. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Same way you get the family dog to play with an ugly baby...

6. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

^ geez... :lol:

I do highly doubt that the few chickens they tossed in from time to time would sustain all of those walkers. Even though they are dead, per se, they must still need some nourishment to continue to stumble around. I've always wondered why walkers don't turn on one another. Have we seen that in this show? They always just seem to attack the living.

Also why are some people turned into walkers and others ripped to shreds? Why did Sophia only have the one bite? She was small enough that even one walker should have ripped her open. Unless she managed to stumble away somehow....

So many questions! :lol:

7. SonOfMogh

SonOfMogh Commander Red Shirt

Traditionally, zombies gain nothing at all from eating. TWD zombies\seem to be based on the Romero universe, in which the only part of the zombie which has any life at all is the brain- Jenner also confirmed this to be the case at the CDC. There's actually a scene in Day Of The Dead where a scientist completely removes a zombie's digestive system and internal organs and it continues to function and seek food.

Not to mention the amount of functioning zombie heads we've seen with no body at all. The brain is semi alive- anything attached to it can move etc but is dead.

Any whether you become a walker or are devoured depends on whether you survive the initial attack. If you are bitten you will get a nasty infection and die, obviously death means reanimation. If you are completely cornered or overwhelmed then the zombies will completely devour you unless distracted by another living screaming person.

For all we know Sophia could've slipped, fell and died from internal injuries, without ever encountering a zombie.

8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ But it looked like she had a bite on her neck.

Yeah, I'd like to see that. It will be horrible to watch, but her story should be told.

9. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I kinda suspected she was in the barn, but I was still hoping she was out there somewhere, possibly held captive by some group of scavengers, or hell, even Daryl's brother.

And y'know, the more I think about it, the more I can sympathize with Herschell. Its one thing to deal with random walkers, but facing the notion of having to put down people you knew and cared about is a whole different story. I'm guessing it was easier to just stash them in the barn for their own, and his families safety and just try not to think about it seemed like an easier solution.

10. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And how soon did we forget about organ in the first season? He had the same problem, just one level down. He certainly was not willing to kill his wife's body, despite having the tool to do so.

Hershel's hope for a cure takes that compassion (misguided, apparently) to just the next level.

11. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was hoping the "obviousness" of Sophia being in the barn (isn't that the first thing everyone would suspect after Glenn made the discovery? The characters should have wondered, too) was misdirection leading to a truly surprising outcome that nobody could guess.

I want to know whether Herschell's theories are based on wishful thinking and delusion, or if he has any reason to believe he may be onto something. The fact that he was shown studying a (presumably medical) book makes me wonder.

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Herschel was delusional when it came to the zombies. Shane gave good evidence to that.

Country veterinarian vs CDC? no contest.

13. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Herschel isn't on to anything. Whether he's done any lab research is still in question (and it's unlikely he'd want to experiment on the barn walkers before now). But it's obvious he has no idea how they function. We've already agreed that he hasn't seen what things are like "out there" and probably has never seen a walker with the guts hanging out and so on -- but that means he has no experience with them. He didn't even know the creatures could survive multiple shots to the body.

14. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I think it more likely Herschel was reading a Bible.

15. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ That's exactly what I assumed.

16. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

No assumption necessary. The page we can see is titled "LUKE 8" :)

17. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To be fair, St. Luke DID have a several hospitals named after him. ;)

18. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

So...definitely a Medical Journal then ;)

19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gospel of Luke, Chapter 8, huh? I wonder what he was reading (i.e., that might relate to the story)? Exorcising the Gerasenes demonic is there, for example.

20. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't see it coming because I just saw the barn as a ticking time bomb on its own and I didn't think Herschel had been collecting people he didn't know. In retrospect maybe I should've but it caught me by surprise.