DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

We're all quote-challenged today.

2. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Or, as Stan Lee said, every comic book is someone's first comic book and you have to treat it as such. A few panels of back story and some subtle explanations worked into the dialogue to bring new readers up to speed is important and there should be clues in every issue, not just #1s. A good writer can make a pretty seamless explanation--or a good alternative is to do what Marvel does and include a page at the beginning of every comic book to bring the reader up to speed.

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well yeah it was easy to figure out from the book, but simply knowing that it's his son doesn't change the fact I still feel like I'm missing out on tons of backstory and character development.

Well to be fair, most of the books I haven't had a problem jumping into. It's just GL so far that's been a disappointment.

4. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I bet that's not true. I bet Neonomicon was nobody's first comic book.

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Batman and Robin (A) - one of the Top 3 books of the week for me. I think much of what I liked about it was how Bruce brought a sense of closure to the events of his childhood. Not sure how long it will last before some other writer ignores it. The B-plot meanwhile was Batman and Damien stopping thieves from stealing radioactive fuel and like in the first Batman Inc issue, the two don't work well. My only complaint was that I don't think anyone would build an indoor swimming pool above a spent fuel pool.

Batwoman (C) - This was disappointing. I was hoping for the continuation of the Religion of Crime or Intergang stuff, but no luck. Much of it was centered on the relationships in KK's life with Maggie, her father and her new potential sidekick. The interaction with Maggie admittedly was better done than when Rucka was writing. The plot was the disappearing children didn't hold my interest. Art was gorgeous though. Probably also the most dialogue that Haden Blackman has written in one comicbook outside of the The Force Unleashed.

Deathstroke (F) - Another disappointment. I was expecting more from Kyle Higgins since his Gates of Gotham story. This story is just so typically 90s with your excess blood and guts. He fails to take advantage of what makes Deathstroke unique and instead tries to make him into another generic mercenary badass that we have too much of in comicbooks. Would have liked it if they had gone down the avenue that Meltzer did in exploring how he uses his superhuman abilities.

Demon Knights (A) - I really liked this one. It's the Magnificent Seven in Dark Age Europe after the fall of Camelot. Though in this case the Dark Ages seem like something from Dungeons and Dragons. The historical liberties thats taken here kind of remind me of Arak Son of Thunder. My two main complaints are 1) how quickly Cornell introduced the cast and 2) how I don't think he has a very good handle writing Ystin, her appearance felt out of character to me.

Frankenstein (A) - The best book of the week. This book is mainly setup with Frankenstein and new Creature Commandos now working under SHADE. Really reminds me of Jason Aaron's Ghost Rider in the absurdity of it.

Sucidie Squad (B) - This was a nice done in one kind of story that introduces us to the characters and sets up for the main story. It's too bad the nerdrage over a skinny Waller is threatening to derail this.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

He's a loud mouth little punk with a lot of attitude and skill. He's been that since his introduction. Not a whole lot of character development has occured. ;) The "backstory" isnt all that important since Bruce was dead for most of it. This Batman and Robin are at square one,

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Don't forget the pouches and the tiny point feet he has while standing en pointe.

8. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Pouches are the new black.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. Myasishchev

I don't think it's been mentioned. I did see the cover, though, and maaaan that is the ugliest thing.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really? I think it looks great, and I even have it as my desktop wallpaper.

EDIT: I really wish they offered subscriptions for digital comics on Comixology.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looks like a nice cover.

13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Around issue #8, I think. So, April. I think April is when we'll see the first book of the New 52 close up shop.

From the Retailer Roadshow I attended back in June, Didio said that decisions would be made fairly quickly, they do have a threshold number they're looking to hit (between print and digital, by the way), and if something isn't selling they'll pull it out and bring in a new book.

Since DC just announced that they're extending the returnability and extra discounts for issue #4 (December) of all the titles, that suggests to me that they're liking the numbers they see for the #2s and that they're not making any snap decisions.

The purple on Barbara's costume in interesting. It's not that way currently in Batgirl.

There are some things about that cover that I like. Pretty much just the Batgirl costume and Poison Ivy. Dinah looks really young and kinda weird.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  14. Myasishchev

My thing is that, even ignoring that's a sort of unexciting group-of-people-posing composition (and a crowded one at that) and the basic "there's a tree" background, everyone's too tiny and too young-looking, and, critically, no one stands like Batgirl.

But different strokes. It's cool if other people like it, I just think it has some really severe weaknesses.

I'll say something positive, though--Finch can draw hair really well! It's harder than you think!

JD--just to obviate the hassle of buying them every month, or do you mean a bulk deal, full-universe type thing, ala Marvel's (or at least how I conceive Marvel's as being)? The former would be useful but I could live without it, but the latter would be beyond Thunderdome.

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I kind of like that Birds costume. As for the cover it's obviously stylized...Babs cowl ears are slanted like Bat-Mites lol.

16. Myasishchev

(I don't like the costumes either. But that's not Finch's fault. Black Canary's ugly carapace thing, Katana's japandana, Poison Ivy's non-infringing Phoenix uniform, and Starling's, uh, shirt... all pretty terrible. However! They put Canary in flats, and that's a damn necessary stride. Heels are for fliers. Now all we need is for her to return the original conceit of her wearing a wig and actually being a hot brunette, and we're there!)

17. Myasishchev

Sorry to double post, but you'll agree it's worth it when you watch the cutest thing ever made by humans:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vfPDA3lwMuU[/yt]

She's a really smart kid, too. She understands fractions and that Jim Lee isn't working to his full potential.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I just meant a series by series thing like you get for print. It's not a big deal, I just think it would be nice.

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been wondering if by having the purple tracking on the Batgirl suit is that supposed to be a visual continuity from Steph's run? Seeing as how Babs Batgirl has nothing to do with purple. An appeasement by the editors as if to say "We've not forgotten about Steph."

20. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Has anyone else read the last issue of Wagner's Madame Xanadu series? There's a conversation between Xanadu and the Phantom Stranger that indicates something of the DCnu's future. The Stranger out and out says that the coming of superheroes, including a "Trinity", will inaugurate a "procession of nearly infinite crises brought about by the mere presence of such stalwart powers and crusading passions." And Xanadu mockingly suggests forming a magician's club to help keep things stable, which seems a clear reference to Justice League Dark.