Season ONE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/cbsdigital_interview3.html

Well, that explains it.

2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

"Better" film stock this, "better" film stock that – I still say the first two seasons look vastly better, more cintematic and more interestingly set up as the rest of the series.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This has always been my opinion as well. Somehow, little or no film grain makes the image look "flatter" or less real.

4. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I submit that it's a drastic change in lighting style rather than film stock or grain level that makes the later seasons look so different.

5. BillJ

I'm talking about movies and TV in general :techman:

6. Brikar99

Oh... Well, then, carry on. :)

7. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

More cinematic and more interestingly set up I'll give you. But I'd argue that the lighting seen in the later seasons is certainly more realistic for what you'd expect to see in such an environment (there's not going to be fancy yellow mood lighting in the conference room!), and is therefore better.

8. BillJ

But it's TV. I'm there to be entertained, if I want realistic I will watch the news.

9. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Season 1&2 lighting is better than 4/5/6/7

Season 3 is sort of in-between

Star Trek Generations is the best example of outer space lighting and remains the best looking Trek film imho.

10. Brikar99

Yes!

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I'll take the later seasons with the better writing over the first two seasons any day! :p

12. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Season 3 is the best of both worlds (Pun intended)...

It has overall the best quality writing of the series, some of the lighting qualities of season 1/2, and it has some of Ron Jones's best work on the series!

13. sadsquid

sadsquid Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hmm, Generations is actually my least favourite looking TNG movie. Too much orange! It felt like the whole movie was happening as the sun was setting. I guess that's just my thing. I preferred the subdued lighting of later seasons over the bright, unnatural-feeling lighting of the first and second seasons.

14. Salinga

Actually I find the lighting of GEN always irritating, because its pretty much too dark. It looked to me, like the D had a power outage or something. I understand the motive behind it, because they wanted to transport a certain mood, but I think it was "too much", because it took my concentration off a scene and made me think about "Why is it so dark there?" instead of watching the movie. It's like bad music or bad special effects, that make you think more about this aspect of a movie instead just beeing involved in the story of the movie itself.

15. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

The bland, over-bright, somewhat washed out appearance of TNG's later seasons would've looked bloody awful on the big screen IMHO. Generations is absolutely beautiful to look at, a triumph of visual aesthetics.

16. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I have to admit I really like the lighting on the bridge as well as the two extra side stations in Generations. It's too bad we didn't get to see more of it.

17. Salinga

The side stations AFAIK appeared first in the TNG episode "Yesterdays Enterprise", in the alternate 1701-D bridge. I agree, it would have been cool to keep these, at least to give more action to the background, but I also understand, why they didnt do it during the series: Too much of a change of the bridge and you also have to pay for the extras sitting there, pushing buttons and looking serious.

18. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Yeah, from what I heard it was the cost of keeping two more extras on set all day that nixed the idea of having the two side stations as a regular set piece.

19. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

I agree. The ship never looked better inside and out than on the big screen with the awesome 6-footer.

20. asp7485

asp7485 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Has anyone noticed just how many men are in skants in season one? At first I thought it was only one or two, but now I'm noticing some guy in a skant every other episode or so! There's one at the door for Troi's reception in "Haven", for example.