Smallville: 10x01 "Lazarus" - Discussion and Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 24, 2010.

?

Grade:

1. Superman! (Excellent)

14 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. The Red-Blue Blur (Good)

20 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. The Blur (Average)

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. The Douchenozzle/"Kal" (Bad)

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. Bizzaro (Terrible)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RonSexton

RonSexton Ensign

I dont know who that guy was that played the old lex. But he hit it out of the park. He had a really evil quality to him that didnt seem really over the top. Its like in that scene they gave us the lex that we have wanted for 10 seasons. A Lex that was actually willing to go all the way and kill. Even if he was foiled by SuperDeuche. I realize thay couldn't have had Lex attempting to kill Clarks friends every episode for 9 seasons. But man it really felt like Superman, just minus the suit.
    And did anyone else notice that Clark is wearing his hair a bit shorter and combed more like Supermans hair?

2. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    He was Mackenzie Gray, played Alistair Kreig(S5-Cyborg). He was great...if Rosey doesn't come back get Mackenzie Gray back! :bolian:

3. RonSexton

RonSexton Ensign

I wonder if Tom Welling knows that people on the internet forums call his character "SuperDeuche" ?

4. Zachary Smith

Zachary Smith Vice Admiral Admiral

Evil Lex Clone: "Kal-El, even with your fantastic speed, there's no way you can intercept both missiles--I mean, save Lois and catch the Daily Planet Globe in time to save both."

Tess Mercer (somewhere thinking): But Evil Lex-Clone, my MOTHER works at the Daily Planet . . .

5. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Now that we have had the S10 Premiere...I will take a moment to list favs over the past 10 seasons.

01. Exile S3
    02. Bizarro S7
    03. Arrival S5
    04. Crusade S4
    05. Vortex S2
    06. Zod S6
    07. Lazarus S10
    08. Savior S9
    09. Odyssey S8
    10. Pilot S1

I don't think any of the premieres were all too horrible unlike alot of finales...some hit and some miss. Over all the premieres have beed pretty solid...I think I come down hard on "Lazarus" is because it didn't live up to the hype and it still was better than those premieres below it. I will add because the "Pilot" is 10th on my list doesn't mean I hated it...I enjoyed it alot...like I said the premieres are pretty solid and most would be tied together.

6. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I did like CLex's line to Clark when he was dying. "Don't flatter yourself, you're not responsible."

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

So what is Valerine Perrine doing these days? Is it too late for her to do a guest-spot as Tess's long-lost mom?

8. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree Clark was flying when he caught the globe. Didn't anyone but me think of George Reeves there, the way George would take a running jump to go flying (usually out the window?)

I like Lois knowing Clark is Supes, it is the way it should be, Lois is supposed to be a crack investigative reporter, it makes no sense that she wouldn't figure it out for, what, 50 years or so?

I liked Voldelex. I would have been happy to see him as the big bad all season, with little Lex growing up with Tess in secret and then emerging as a hairy Rosenbaum-Lex at the finale.

I liked the Pa Kent scene, and I agree it gave needed closure there, and it was something Clark needed to hear and think about, that a good man can go off half-cocked and still be a good man. That said, Clark can pretty much kill whoever he wants at will, that has to be a line he won't cross except in extreme circumstances, certainly not because he's pissed off.

I was puzzled at the end scene with Chloe being exchanged for Ollie. So who was in the truck bringing her, and why was she in a hood? How did that work? I get it that she exchanged herself for Ollie, but it makes no sense that it would be done like that. She should have been hoodless and her own people dropping her off and picking up Ollie.

If Clark can't/won't wear the full suit, I at least want the proper 'S' logo on a blue t-shirt. If he's going for red leather jacket, put the t-shirt on underneath.

Voted good, for great it would have to be at least close to the season 2 opener which was classic.

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even so, it still remains as one of the show's best conceived (and executed) episodes and is head and shoulders above anything else on that list. :crazy:

10. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    Well the "Pilot" suffers from what all the premieres that followed it does...sloppy editing and trying to jam too much into less than an hour of time...it is good...and premieres have been SMALLVILLE's strong suit for the most part...the finales often fall short. I am not knocking it but I enjoyed different things from all the premieres...I would tie the last 4 together really...believe me it isn't 10th due to quality. Believe me I am not knocking any of the premieres...for the most part they all eclipse various finales.

11. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I finally caught the episode. I thought it was pretty good. Mind you, I haven't kept up with Smallville in years and the last full episode I saw was the "Absolute Justice" TV movie type episode that aired a while ago. With that said, I was a little confused at what was going on but I was able to pick up on things.

I think it's really cool that we're seeing the Lex clones angle, which I always thought was a cool element from the comics, and the little Alexander clone did remind me of young Spock in The Search for Spock -- I'm sure that was probably intentional on the producers' end to have Alexander grow exponentially but with his hair. Meaning Rosenbaum could conceivably return if he wanted to without shaving his head (which is neat). As much as I enjoyed the actor playing the older Lex clone, that scene would have played a lot better with Rosenbaum as Lex. I like what they're doing with the whole Lex clone plot arc, but if we don't see Rosenbaum as Lex at one point or another it's going to be a disappointment regardless of what they do with the arc in my opinion.

It was really tantalizing to see the red and blue Superman suit and to see Clark approach it with a sense of wanting to wear it, but then ultimately disappointing to see Jor-El snatch it up and then store it in the Fortress. I have a feeling Clark is going to have to prove himself this season to be worthy of wearing the suit. It's kind of frustrating because at this point I just want him to wear the damn suit, but I get what they're going for thematically. Trying to drag it out as much as possible to sustain tension and suspense.

I think I might actually watch this season in its entirety, since it is the final season after all.

12. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    You didn't get excited about seeing Darkseid!? I know I did. :lol: I didn't think it would happen this soon.

13. JacksonArcher

Yeah, Darkseid is cool. I guess I'm more of a Lex fan.

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

FIVE MINUTE SMALLVILLE

EXT - Metropolivocerville - Dawusk.

Clark falls 50 stories from the top of The Daily Planet building. Despite being impaled with Blue-Kryptonite. and thus unpowered, he lands on the ground relatively intact. Lois find him.

LOIS: "Oh Clark?! Clark?! I love you! Don't die, or at least stay dead long enough for me to play homage to the "death of Superman" comic page! Hey, what's this blue thing?"

:yoink:

LOIS: It's shiny! I'll toss it over there and run-off, 'k thx bye!

EXT - Ethereal Purgatory Farmfield - Daytime and Partly Aurora Borealisly

CLARK: What? Where am I? What am I doing here? Am I dead? Won't somebody SAAAAAVVVVEEEE ME?!

JARNELL: Clark. I've been telling you for ten years now, stop being a douche, accept your destiny and become the hero people want you to be.

CLARK: What people? The people of the Earth?

JARNELL: No. The three million people who've been watching you and putting up with your crap the last nine years.

CLARK: Oh, them. Eh, who needs them. I've got a contract. No flights. No tights.

Jarnell: Dammit, I'm sick of hearing that. That's it. I'm cutting you off. 'k thx bye!

EXT - Metropolivocerville

CLARK: (Wakes up. ) Huh. That was odd. I was in a dream that I was in a cornfield. Thankful there was no Kevin Costner. Well, I better go run off and take care of some things!

:SUPERSPEED!:

LOIS: (double clicks her mouse to Clark's super-speed.)

INT - SOMEWHERE - Darkfilter Time Of Day

CHLOE: Clark! How's it going?! What are you doing here?!

CLARK: My dad warned me, when I heard about Lex I came!

CHLOE: :stifles a laugh:

CLARK: What? Why do you always laugh when I say that? It's important that I come before Lex.

CHOLE: (Rolls on floor, laughing)

INT - Spooky Lab Set #237c

TESS wakes up and peels a slab of gelled cum of her face. This causes her only mild disturbance. She finds a bunch of Lex clone pods, a younger version of Lex and an older version of Lex. She's somehow less disturbed about this than she is on how she woke up here, naked, a few minutes ago.

OLD LEX: Hi! Lex is cloning myself.

TESS: Can I say it?

OLD LEX: Say what?

TESS: You know.

OLD LEX: No, what?

TESS: Send in the clones!

OLD LEX: That's it, I'm lighting you and all my clones on fire. 'k thnx, bye!

INT - Dark Torture Dungeon Set 445aa

SHOW PRODUCERS: Contractual obligations say that Justin Hartley must appear shirtless at least once every episode whether the scene makes any sense or is relevant. This scene fulfills that obligation. See you next week.

INT - JLA Room - Day

CHLOE (dons a roman helmet): Oh man, the things people will say about this.

CLARK meets up CLONE-LEX

CLARK: Shouldn't you be carrying your brain around in a dish?

CLONE LEX: Hey, I've got very bad genes, okay! It's not like my father grew up to be a handsome man!

CLARK: Well what should we do?

CLONE LEX: What we always do. Have a battle of wits that I'll win with one of my cerebral lobes literally tied behind my back, we'll say things that'll reference things set to come in the mythos, we'll have a pillow fight, I'll die and then a better-looking clone of mine will fight you in 25 episodes. Good?

CLARK: Good.

CLONE LEX: Oh, and I've put your girlfriend in danger and also put some people in Metropolis in danger. Since you've never ran to South America in five seconds, or ran to and from Maine in one second. You can't possibly stop the globe and save Lo...

CLARK: Done and back. What were you saying about me?

CLONE LEX: Shit! And Spider-man 1 was such a good movie, too!

INT, or EXT. Not sure which. - Fortress of Solituide - Daytime, it's always daytime at the north pole.... Sorta.

CLARK: What's this place still doing here? Where's the drowning polar bears? Man, that Al Gore and his scissor lift is full of shit.

JARNELL: Didn't I tell you to stop being a douchebag?! That's it, I'm locking up your favorite clothes!

CLARK: But those are Brandon's.

JARNELL: Whatever. Done.

EXT - KENT FARM - Bright, Sunny, Non-Metropolisian Daytime.

CLARK reads a letter. The next morning. Inside there's a letter from Lois. Who's in Africa. Standing in the middle of a dune. She got there, and mailed a letter, in less than a day.

BO KENT: Sup Clark.

CLARK: Am I dreaming, hallucinating, or did I OD on my Viccodin?

BO: Some of both. Remember when I told you you were a good boy, that your real father was an asshole and that I'm the one that's raised you to be good, moral and kind?

CLARK: Yeah.

BO slaps him in the back of the head.

BO: Well maybe you should watch the first Five Seasons on Blu-Ray :to camera: Available at CW.COM! :to Clark: And re-fresh your memory. Get over yourself and become fucking Superman!

CLARK: It's the last season! Just give me 20 more episodes!

BO: Fuck. This show's going to end like Voyager isn't it?

15. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    You forgot about the Smoke Monster from LOST at the end. :lol:

16. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Clark- We have to go back......WE HAVE TO GO BACK!

17. JacksonArcher

Correct. It is 100% exactly the same. Unaltered prop.

[​IMG]

18. JacksonArcher

Also, I was a little confused over the Clark/Jonathan scene. I thought it offered a tender moment, however they didn't explain why or how Clark was able to just "see" Jonathan. I know Clark needed that type of moral boost, but it just kind of seemed arbitrary and to come out of nowhere. I was half-expecting Clark to have seen him in that near-death purgatory type of "inbetween" that Clark was in at the beginning of the episode, but it didn't happen. That would have made more sense than Clark suddenly having a hallucination of his father just for the convenience of the plot.

19. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

He was a ghost, simple

20. JacksonArcher

Okay, but as a friend of mine pointed out, how come he hasn't appeared previously when Clark needed help in the past? Why now? It was just a random appearance that didn't have a lot of thematic credibility or reason. I have no problem with ambiguity, but that was too much for my taste.