creepy encounters with cashiers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by sonak, Jun 22, 2013.

1. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

I don't know what this means. He's being paid to faciliate the exchange of a customer's money for products/services, and to provide customer service when needed.

In the case described, he facilitated the transaction and there was no service needed. So he was getting paid for doing exactly what his job required.

Where does this idea that the customer has a "responsibility" to the cashier come from? It's not an equal relationship. Nor is boss to employee. Sometimes, that's just the way it is. It doesn't mean that customers should be rude.

2. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

It seems like people aren't even arguing from point of responsibility, but respect vs disrespect. Pingfah and a few others simply don't consider it disrespectful, provided that it doesn't make the transaction more difficult. Those saying that it's disrespectful seem to be making the assumption that a cell phone call is automatically hindering the exchange and making things worse for the cashier.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

If someone calls me as I'm about to buy something I don't stop talking. All I have to do is hand over the money or card which is not hindered by being on the phone. If the cashier misses out on asking me how my day was I'm sure they'll get over it. I'm not there to talk to the cashier, I'm there to buy something.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

For me its about the other customers. They shouldn't have to wait, because the person ahead of them in line is oblivious to the fact he needs to participate in the transaction occurring.

5. teacake

I multi task like a boss.

6. sonak

exactly

I haven't heard a customer yet say "excuse me,---- but I've got to get off the phone to make this purchase." If there was an issue during the transaction( a price discrepancy, coupon issue, etc.) then I would think the customer would just tell the person on the line to hang on a sec.

I just don't get where the idea of "owing" respect or courtesy to the cashier comes from. Certainly one shouldn't go out of the way to be rude, but it's not like a customer goes to a store to chat with a cashier.:confused:

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

^^Well I had a few chatty ones in my day. You try your best to move them along, especially when there are other people waiting.

8. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, they will. But, on the other hand, they may need to ask you a business question: Do you want it all in one bag, or two? Credit or debit? Did you notice that if you buy three of these the fourth one is free?

I used to occasionally talk on the phone while I was shopping. Then I ran into a couple cashiers who seemed hesitant to interrupt my phone conversation or were confused as to when I was speaking to them and when I was speaking to the person on the phone. So I stopped.

Come to think of it, when I'm shopping with friends, we tend to stop talking when we get to the cashier. It's not just phones.

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Isn't it considered rude/impolite to interrupt someone who is making a telephone call?

10. Tora Ziyal

Usually. But in the situation we're talking about, shouldn't the cashier take precedence over the phone call?!

11. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

worked in a shop. people used phones while paying. i never needed their full undivided attention to scan stuff and take their money.

don't understand this fuss, probably just been jumped on by old people that like ranting about how they get no respect.

12. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

I just ignore customers until they get off the phone.

13. teacake

Must not be your money then :D

14. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    The job would be great if it wasn't for the f#$&ing customers.

15. sonak

you're lucky that you don't get a bunch of complaints. I'd think customers would get pissed off at being deliberately ignored by someone whose job it is to serve customers.

16. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ There is a sign at my local coffee shop that says something like: "We understand if you're on your phone. It's probably important, so we'll assist other customers until you are done."

It seems to work...

17. Tora Ziyal

^ I like that. :)

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I think people have a mutual responsibility to be polite to each other, regardless of their roles in a particular situation.

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Quite right.

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

As do I.