Did TNG take itself too seriously?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by TalkieToaster, Nov 7, 2014.

1. TalkieToaster

TalkieToaster Lieutenant Red Shirt

One complaint I've heard people make about TNG is that it took itself too seriously. I'd say that it was more serious than TOS, but I think the claims of it being too serious and humorless are exaggerated. Hell, in one episode Picard drew a smiley face in a warp core breach! I thought it had plenty of classic Trek fun to go with the serious stuff.

2. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To call it 'humorless' is an exaggeration, but I know that my reaction to ``this whimsical episode of Next Generation'' is a slight groan and a bracing myself for the worst.

(To be fair, it's not just Next Generation. I don't think any Trek manages a light touch for more than the briefest scenes without hitting something to inspire winces.)

3. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

I like the "seriousness" because I find it more realistic and therefore more immersive.

But I can see how some episodes could be construed as more serious, almost indulgently. I don't have any specific examples, but the show kinda does give that vibe.

4. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No actually I love the tone. I honestly can't take much of TOS's corny vibe. The sort of serious tone combined with the 80's style makes TNG feel like the future to me. And some moments of TNG do make me laugh, for example Data's reaction to Picard's painting.

5. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

If by serious you mean pompous and heavy handed then oh hell yes. Picard and the TNG Prime Directive were the biggest problems.

TNG is like that neighbor that's been recycling before the city mandated it and every FUCKING time you go over they show you their damn mulched in the backyard but please don't step on the grass use the Fair Trade stone path that we bought from Costco because YOU KNOW we don't go to Walmart because have you seen the way they treat their employees?

Ugh, I need a drink.

6. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But what's actually wrong with using fairtrade and a company that treats its employees fairly? Surely that's something we should all aspire to? The problem is that the neighbour is "showing off", displaying a pride and superiority to you that you can't switch off from. TNG you could switch off from and its kind of its job to display things to you - its the nature of the medium of television.

To answer the original question. It seemed to in the early seasons but, along with Picard, it mellowed around season three.

7. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

TNGs tone suited me. It never felt like it took itself too seriously, it just felt as if that was the way it was. So, no. :)

8. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Different ship, different crew, different time, different command styles. I agree with WillsBabe - it was the way it was.

9. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree too. I wouldn't have TNG any other way.

Well, until the movies that is.

10. Beta-Z

Beta-Z Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Me too.
    And they did have great fun stuff.
    Just think about the Goddess of empathy! :rommie:

11. Zek

Zek Lieutenant Red Shirt

True it did take itself very seriously especially the first and last episodes of each season and several in the middle but I too enjoyed that aspect of the series. Personally I'm a pretty serious individual when it comes to a lot of things so maybe that's why I like it. However, there were more than a few episodes that were a lighthearted, comical affairs such as that episode where Deannas mother is trying to get with Capt. Picard

12. Zaminhon

Zaminhon Captain Captain

It may have gone too far in the Tech speak area, even though it was based on the theories in physics at the time and was, in fact, educational. But I do think it went a little too far, particularly in the spin offs, and by the time Voyager ended I was totally burned out. It's one of the main reasons I've never been interested in getting into Enterprise.

13. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

But my point is that it TOOK ITSELF way too seriously, I like serious stuff, but not "I'm Important and You Should Watch Me Because I Am Important!" kinda stuff. The only consistently good TNG seasons were 5-7 and that's because they actually, fully let their hair down.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Too seriously? I think they bought into the hype that Star Trek was somehow important in the grand scheme of things and I think that led to an incredibly dull show. The first two seasons are my personal favorites because it still felt like Star Trek to a degree, the rest I can do without.

15. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Then you must have HATED Ron Moore's BSG. If ANY show said that, it certainly did.

16. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Could be worse, could've been Voyager

17. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved TNG the way it was.

1) That neighbour is a leader. They lead the way to doing something that is now accepted as the right thing to do, before it was cool.
    2) Fair Trade is good.
    3) Costco is fantastic, they are a great company to work for and an example of how you can be a decent company to your employees and still make a profit, a stark contrast to the entirely unethical behaviour of Walmart and its evil owners.

So, basically, I agree with everything you said, only I see it as a good thing.

18. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

At the beginning, absolutely. Less so as the series went on.

The show did take itself seriously, but it was covering serious topics. And it had plenty of comic relief, bang bang adventure, and chances to make fun of itself too.

Most of the time the show wasn't really that preachy, with some mostly first season exceptions. It just took standard TV morality with a dramatic tone.

@Bisz

I think your quote exemplifies a lot of people's problems with TNG. The problem with the neighbor isn't that they're recycling and buying free trade, the problem is that they're being smug about it. That's how a lot of people feel about TNG, that they mostly say things they agree with but they say it with a superior tone.

19. velour

velour Commander Red Shirt

Pompous. TNG was definitely that.

As for Picard, he projected an air of superiority and self-righteousness. He was snobbish. You were just waiting for him to deliver his holier-than-thou sermon at some point during an episode. Picard seemed to be at his best (or worst, depending on your perspective) when he was lecturing this alien or that alien, or whomever, about their transgressions. I don't doubt that the character represented the attitude of TNG writers.

20. Zek

Zek Lieutenant Red Shirt