PICTURE POST II!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Mary Ann, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Finished another cross stitch- Star Trek: The Next Generation.

[​IMG]

The designer has DS9 and Voyager charts planned, too.

2. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

I'm sure PhotoBucket isn't the only service that includes an on-line image-editor ;)

3. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

He's Black Ops!!

:lol:

4. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

And who would have thought he'd ever end up in the same search as both Hikaru Sulu and Jean-Luc Picard...

[​IMG]

5. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Love it! I forget, have you done an Enterprise cross stitch yet?

6. Kira's Mom

^I haven't found a good chart for one. I'd love to do a Deep Space Nine and Defiant in cross stitch, too, but I'm no good at designing charts.

7. cooleddie74

I like how you captured Riker's frequent bang of hair that hangs down over his forehead.

8. Kira's Mom

That was the designer's idea, not mine! :lol:

9. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Haven't shared this outside TNZ, but it's my 3rd day on an insulin pump, and I'm actually starting to feel more confident about it. At first I was a bit depressed about how ugly it is, but I'm starting to feel better about it. Last night I even went out, and I think I managed to look pretty nice despite it.

The pump:
    [​IMG]

Me wearing it, I think I'm going to try the thigh next, I find the abdomen a little tender:
    [​IMG]

I don't have it so bad compared to the first insulin pump, though:

[​IMG]

10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Speaking of don't cross the streams...

11. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, looks like a remote control device of some sort. Do you have to wear it clipped to a belt or can you slip it inside a pocket? Also, I'm curious so I hope you don't mind my asking; do you have to wear it all the time or can you go for periods without having it hooked up?

12. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2013
  13. thestrangequark

^That's great!
    The belt clip is removable. I had to use it with those jeans because they are really tight, so it wouldn't fit in the pocket (I was going out, though, and they make my butt look great). I did wear it in my pocket when I had on looser pants, though. They also make arm bands and thigh bands in all different styles, so I think I'm going to get some of those too.

I have to stay connected pretty much all the time, but there are a few exceptions. I change the site every 3 days (I've only done so once so far). I disconnect to shower, and during certain workouts where it would be awkward -- I can take it off for swimming, for example. But generally no more than an hour, because it delivers a microdose of insulin every hour, and because the pump doesn't use a long-acting basal insulin. Basal insulins stay in your blood for about 24 hours. The pump uses only short-acting insulin, which stays in the blood around 4 hours, so diabetic ketoacidosis can set in much, much faster if a dose is missed. I could have it off for longer than an hour, but I'd have to reconnect on the hour for a minute to get the dose, or take a shot.

14. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    Oh, I think this pic will be getting removed shortly...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2013
  15. thestrangequark

^HA! I didn't even notice!

16. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Oh no a nipple. Won't someone think of the non present children.

tsq, I'm curious: do you find this a better alternative then what you've done in the past? Which I assume is shots at given times? I'm asking because some would find it cumbersome. Personally I only have the CPAP to sleep so I can breathe, so that's nowhere near your condition, but I had some difficulty adjusting.

17. thestrangequark

^It will be hard to adjust, and I don't think I'll know until I've had it for at least a couple weeks whether or not it's better than shots, but so far it's looking good. It is awkward to wear, but I think the benefits will far outweigh that. This allows for really tight control with micro doses of insulin. With shots you're stuck with 1 unit intervals, which is fine for type 2 diabetics, because type 2 diabetes involves insulin resistance. Type 2's and really insulin resistant people, like very overweight people, can take 20, 30, even 100 units in a meal, but I'm sensitive, so I might take 1 or 2 units. The pump is so precise that I can dose as low as 0.025 units. This means way better control.

Also, I don't handle Lantus insulin well, the long-acting insulin. I have a lot of side-effects, including weight gain. With the pump, I'll be off lantus. Plus, people who pump live on average 5 years longer than people who treat with injections. So, I think it's going to be worth it.

18. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Reminds me of that Voyager episode where the Doc had that holonovel with the mobile emitter just like that :lol:

19. cooleddie74

My mom would occasionally tell me stories about the diabetics she knew when she was a little girl and teenager in the fifties and sixties. She always said "you don't want diabetes now, but you sure as heck didn't want it back then."

20. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

You're bionic!