Voyager Books

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by illidian, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Galekarens

Galekarens Commander Red Shirt

I read if, of course, lol. Looks like the story gets right into the angsty times promised in the book summary, and the somewhat good feelings at the end of The Eternal Tide are pretty much gone, it seems. IMO J/C fans be prepared to getting back to some maybe hard times for our favorite couple, oh well!

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

wth, seriously?!! Enough with the angst, we're Starfleet officers!

I'm sad, why does Treklit think emotion = angst?

Still of course I will read it. I'll preorder it from bookdepository today. 11.47, huh..

Though if Janeway dies again I will commit bookicide.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  3. Galekarens

I can't even IMAGINE in my worst nightmares someone w/be dumb enough to consider killing KJ again, yikes (so it better not happen, lol, and also not any other original Voyager characters, either)! PS author KB has revealed that the NEXT Voyager book will be called Acts of Contrition (well for now at least), so there ya go, maybe a year from now we'll be waiting anxiously for that one.

4. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Ok, she isn't allowed to die again. I'll cry. :wah:

I pre-ordered the e-book for about 8.99 here.

The J/C part of me is especially excited since this will be the first full novel where they are actually together. :luvlove::luvlove: Even if there is angst, that's okay...just don't break them up please!! It took Janeway dying and four books for them to finally get together properly! :lol:

Either way, I'm happy for a new Voyager book!

BTW, I finally finished "Pathways" and it was pretty good. I must have written that post while I was reading the Chakotay backstory.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  5. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to disagree here. I find the framing story in "Mosaic" much better and more exciting. The one in "Pathways" was a bit thin and too predictable.

As for the background stories of the crew members in both "Mosaic" and "Pathways", I like them but sometimes I find Mrs. Taylor's way of sugar-coating everything a bit annoying. B'Elanna's and Tom's attitude problems are never fully explained. B'Elanna's problems at the Academy is waived away with hints that it had something to do with missing her father and Tom's bad relationship to his father was never explained. All that just doesn't fit with how they were in the series. The same for Janeway who were a bit wimpy in "Mosaic". There must have been a radical change there during the time between her post at the Bonestell and her time on Voyager.

Still, I like all the background stories, especially Chakotay's, Neelix's, Kes's and Paris's stories.

6. teacake

I thought the framing in Pathways was really a big nothing, just a platform to tell the real stories on. A device. Could have just told the stories, but really it's not like it took up too much room.

7. Sophronisba

Sophronisba Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The first half of Pathways really bugged me because it seemed like everyone's backstory could be summed up as "daddy issues." But I thought it got better in the second half.

8. teacake

I forgot that part, that would probably bug me today. Another Treklit overuse.

9. roseake

roseake Lieutenant Red Shirt

I guess what I'm hoping for from this book is the whole Janeway vs Starfleet issue to be resolved now that she's alive. KB has already said that the next few books are going to be part of an arc where some serious stuff is going to go down and I can't see that happening without Janeway on board. With any luck, after killing her off and having 4 books of angst they'll leave her and Chakotay alone for a while!

I'm wondering if the new arc is going to have something to do with Tom and B'Elanna's son. Then again, they've already had all the drama with Miral. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing their family grow!
    It also looks like this book will get politics-heavy, so we'll see how that goes. But overall, I'm pumped for this book! :techman:

10. Galekarens

Two fans in Germany have reported they now have this book; it's available to be sent out on Amazon.de; I'm quite jealous, lol.

Also the paperback is now being reported available at B&N stores in the East Coast of USA, also may be already sold out (well they can get more); I'm going out to look for it today, wow!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  11. Galekarens

OK, I got Protectors, at my local B&N bookstore in Midwest USA so anyone else who'd like to get it, and you have a bookstore anywhere near you, maybe give it a try, good luck! PS someone on FB who lives in Massachusetts said he got it there too, altho the 1st 2 B&Ns he called said they were already sold out (?! altho I assume they would now get more).

12. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly my thoughts too!

And no explanation at all to the hostile situation between daddy and child. Nothing about the fact that daddy could actually be a s**thead, like Tom's dad obviously was. I mean, there must have been some strong reason why Tom disliked him so much.

(OK, I have a theory about daddy having an affair with someone and the result was Nick Locarno, something Tom discovered at the Academy but that'ts another story.) ;)

I also think that B'Elanna's issue had more to do with her "Klingon side" which causes her to lose temper and the fact that she disliked Starfleet Academy after her experiences there, not about a father who abandoned the family.

Not to mention that Chakotay stated in the series that he and his father weren't exactly the best friends while in "Pathways" all problems did seem to be solved.

Even "Mosaic" had some of this strange "father-child" issue when a rather wimpy kathryn did seem to believe for a long time that her father didn't love her as much as her sister while the series gives another view.

So there is too much of Taylor's "as long as we are a big happy family and stick together and sing a song, everything will be allright". Unfortunately, not all families are happy families, obviously not even in the 24th century.

Despite that and the thin frame story in "Pathways, I actually like both books. "Mosaic" more than "Pathways" due to the frame story there which is very good in my opinion. :techman:

13. teacake

Daddy issues are boring. There is far too much of it in Treklit.

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

[​IMG]
    Protectors by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

It's Kirsten Beyer's latest "Star Trek: Voyager" novel, "Protectors". (Thanks Galaxy Bookshop, Sydney, Australia, as always.) So I have my protection, and Janeway's in her protective box.

15. teacake

If I had a Star Trek condom I too would find any excuse to post about it :lol:

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jesus Christ, the "saucer" on that thing looks like a buzzsaw!:lol:

17. teacake

OH it must be for Cardassians then. Ridges.

18. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

"Ridged for your pleasure." :drool:

19. Galekarens

Yoiks..., well anyway it's now Protectors Day in much of the world, and I heard lucky people in East Coast USA/Canada can download the book. In the Midwest, etc. of N.America still have to wait, but as I was lucky to get the paperback already I'm going to see about getting the Ebook later tomorrow. Well anyway, cheers to another Voyager novel, especially with Kathryn Janeway front and center in it (IMHO), yay; happy reading.