The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm personally hoping for our first peak at Matty's "Man of Steel" line. Hoping we get Movie Masters. :) Maybe Hasbro will bust out some "Into Darkness" stuff as well.

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I imagine the new Star Trek toys will be at the Toy Fair given that it takes place just three months before the movie premieres. I can't wait to see Hasbro's take on the Enterprise and the main characters....who knows, there might even be a Benedict Cumberbatch action figure to gawk over. :)

3. Admiral_Young

^ I will buy it in a second. I passed on the "Star Trek" figures...they seemed okay, but for some reason I wasn't really into them. Hopefully these ones will be an improvement.

4. cooleddie74

The toys they show will in all likelihood be spoiler-free and reveal nothing that the trailers and the 9 minutes of the movie screened in IMAX theaters haven't already shown the public.

I'd love to see Hasbro's take on the Enterprise. The company does an excellent job recreating ships and vehicles from the Star Wars universe with great and intricate surface detail, so a Hasbro Enterprise with some electronic features might be amazing.

5. Admiral_Young

Also we should get a look at the 2013 Star Trek Hot Wheels (I don't believe there have been any pictures of them yet...I could be wrong). They're supposed to feature an updated "Into Darkness" version of the Enterprise (The "Star Trek" version has been sold out and is pretty impossible to get, unless you want to pay like fifty bucks on ebay, which I don't lol). For some reason they're re-releasing the Narada as well as well as a new ship from the film. I'm excited for these.

I have the Enterprise-D one on my shelf and it's pretty awesome.

6. cooleddie74

Post a pic if you get the chance! We don't get enough photos of Trek toys and collectibles in here.

7. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

:drool::drool::drool: Can't wait for a Benedict action figure! I wish someone would do figures for Sherlock.

8. cooleddie74

The 2009 Star Trek movie toy line had a 6" Nero as well as a 12" version of him so I'd say it's a safe bet we'll get the main villain in at least one format in the new Hasbro line.

"John Harrison" / Cumby is almost a certainty. You'll get your wish to see him in plastic. ;)

9. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I thought I'd post a quick pic of the 3 3/4 inch scale Hobbit figures I've picked up so far. I still need to get Thorin, but I have the rest of the dwarves available right now. These are by a relatively unknown company called The Bridge Direct. Considering how new they are on the scene, I'm pretty impressed. Bilbo and Gollum are sadly mediocre, but the dwarves have all turned out really well so far.

[​IMG]

10. cooleddie74

I've seen those at Target and Walmart but pass because I don't collect any LotR or Hobbit stuff. Which company makes them? Hasbro?

11. OdoWanKenobi

No, it's a new company called The Bridge Direct. Before, it looks like they've only made dolls and plushes. This is their first action figure line. I'd say the can pretty well go toe to toe with anything Hasbro is putting out in this scale, though. It's nice to see some fresh blood getting shelf space against the big two.

Back when the Lord of the Rings films came out, it was Toybiz that had the license, and they did a brilliant job with it. Oh Toybiz......*sniff* :(

12. cooleddie74

I didn't buy any of those figures but they did look glorious. That Toybiz Gollum....wow. I still remember how incredible it was after more than a decade. The old LotR action figure line was art.

13. OdoWanKenobi

I miss Toybiz so much. In my estimation, LotR and Marvel Legends firmly cement them as one of the greatest toy companies ever. Hasbro has never been able to match the amazing stuff that Toybiz put out for Marvel.

14. cooleddie74

I think Hasbro could and can if they wanted, but they'd end up coming up with some pretty weak excuses to charge $18.99 or $19.99 for a basic 3.75" action figure and price their entire company right out of the market. I don't underestimate Hasbro -they're capable of amazing toys when they set their minds to it - but I think they're too big a collection of corner-cutting pennypinchers to give us Toybiz quality and not charge twenty bucks for each character.

15. cooleddie74

16. Kirk's_Tights

Kirk's_Tights Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The prices of figures is really ridiculous these days. A batman toy is $15 at Wal-Mart....seriously? I mean, if it were a Todd McFarlane type of toy, okay, I can see it being a little pricey because his figures are awesome, but, come on, some normal looking figure?

Not a figure but most of the Bratz dolls are no less than $30.

I miss the days of good toys that didn't cost so much.

17. cooleddie74

Some retailers on the East and West Coasts have sold Star Wars action figures for as high as $11.99 apiece, with Target being the worst offender in higher income metro areas.

Even in middle America the price of a basic action figure has risen from about $4.99 at the end of the nineties and the early years of the 2000's to at least $9.96 today. The prices are almost sure to break the four-digit threshold even in small towns as this decade progresses, and I could easily see a basic Hasbro action figure costing twelve bucks before tax by the time Episode VII hits theaters and toy aisles in the spring of 2015.

18. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I was in FYE at my local mall and I stumbled on that (character debut) Republic Trooper from the Old Republic, so I bought it (it cost $11 bucks!!) for a friend of mine. she will like it. She has a goal to collect every form of storm or clone trooper ever released - even multiple versions - so she could have a battalion, but she hadn't seen this one!

I also included another gift, the great little book Darth Vader and Son. I recommend it to any fan. Very, very funny. It depicts scenarios that would have taken place if Vader had actually raised his son Luke.

19. cooleddie74

That's cool you know who these figures are and buy them, man! My FYE doesn't have any of the brand new, online-exclusive Vintage figures like the Old Republic Trooper (not at the moment, anyways) and that's a great score....along with the Emperor's Royal Guard it's the most desired figure from that wave.

Well done. :)

I'll have to look up that book and give it a read....thanks!

20. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

My FYE has some toys and figures near the back of the store. It's pretty cool, despite their insane prices.

I haven't given the trooper to her yet, but I'll try to get the picture I sent her of it on the board. I took it with my cell phone, so later I'll email it to myself and try to post it here.

The trooper has a really awesome gun, and he has to hold it like a mini-gun, a'la Jessie Ventura from Predator or T-800 from T2.

Here's the Amazon listing for that book. I wanted to write about here, although it's not a figure. It doesn't quite deserve it's own thread on the science fiction section, but it's guaranteed to bring a smile to any fan.