TNG fans please identify yourselves ...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Gold Grizzly, Oct 31, 2005.

1. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Captain Captain

TNG was my intro to the world of Star Trek.

TribbleFeeder likes this.
  2. UnipolarUnicorn

UnipolarUnicorn Ensign Newbie

Hey! New TNG fan! Just started watching and on “Where No One Has Gone Before”. Hope to have a Trekathon later today, haha. Hmmm...I love Data I would say! I’ll probably get a lot of backlash for this, but I like him more than Spock who was a longtime favorite. But I identify with both of them really. I have Aspergers Syndrome and always feel like an outcast compared to the people around me! I am socially awkward, haha. So what I am trying to get at is I love the characters! Other favorites include Yar, Jordi, and Troi. Would love to discuss the series by episode!

Night Shade and Marynator like this.
  3. Marynator

Marynator Queen of all the Realms Premium Member

Hi, welcome to TrekBBS and our beloved TNG forum! :) Oh how exciting you're just getting into it, you've got so many wonderful seasons ahead of you! Oh and don't worry about loving Data more than Spock, that's totally natural, in fact you'll find quite a community of Datagirls here, lol.

UnipolarUnicorn likes this.
  4. UnipolarUnicorn

Thanks for the response and warm welcome! Yeah, I am certainly having fun with the series! I grade each episode on a scale of 1-10 and I am going to average them out at the end!

Marynator likes this.
  5. Marynator

Oh I'd be so very interested in reading your thoughts and your reviews! Why don't you post them here? You're only a few episodes in, you could totally catch up really easily right now! I feel that'd be such a lovely discussion, especially since you're just seeing these for your first time. :)

How did you discover Star Trek and decide to watch TNG now?

UnipolarUnicorn likes this.
  6. UnipolarUnicorn

Good idea! I may do that! And I discovered Trek at a very lonely time when I was 15. That was almost 10 years ago. I would watch and rewatch episodes of TOS and love them every time! TOS was kinda my Trek comfort zone but I decided recently that I wanted to see the other series as well! TNG seemed like a logical starting point for that and so here I am, haha!

Marynator likes this.
  7. splintersofprism

splintersofprism Cadet Newbie

I like Crusher, Barclay, Troi, Guinan. In no particular order, those are just my favorites.
    I want to like Riker's character but I don't, he comes off too much like 'generic alpha male white dude' or something. And his good looks are really distracting to me personally. I remember back when my hormones were raging seeing him on screen really distracted me, and I had a hard time even paying attention to anything he said because I found him so hot. Although he did help me realize that I'm gay (I hope that's okay I don't want to offend anybody) It was just a pure lust thing as the character itself was always meh to me.

Riker is like a mere model to me- it's hard to care about the internals of his characterization although lately I have been watching more Riker centric episodes, and I can have a more mature understanding of the series than I did when I watched it as a teenager. This is obviously because it's a lot easier now that I'm not going through puberty anymore lmao.

8. TribbleFeeder

TribbleFeeder Rear Admiral Premium Member

Welcome to the board!!

9. plentode

plentode Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

TNG was my favorite series as a child and through my teen years. I started watching with my father during the original run in season 5. Well... Apparently I was present from mid-season 1, but given my infancy, my memories legitimately begin right around Darmok and Disaster.

This was the series that made me the Trek fan I am today. The morals and depth of the show resonated with me from an extremely early age and still captivate me. My fondest memories revolve around my hunt at my local library for single-episode VHS tapes to check out. And now I'm a librarian and I get a tad overexcited when the DVDs and Blu-rays circulate.

Sibyl likes this.
  10. RassDavadCaras

RassDavadCaras Lieutenant Red Shirt

Star Trek has been a part of my life as long as I can remember, before I even knew what it was my grandmother took me to see Insurrection. Which I fell in love with, I had never seen Sci-Fi built on such morals. As I got older I really started to connect with TOS and TNG. I am autistic and like many found a lot to relate to with Data and Spock. My favorite series, is TNG with TOS being a close second and the rest being equal. I have not seen a show I dislike or would rank as a lesser Trek show. I have my favorites, but none that I would skip or claim are bad, so long as the characters I love are being who they are there is so much to love. Nemesis is even great in my eyes, due to Data's part in the film. My five favorite characters are Data, Spock, Kirk, Riker and Picard. With my favorite guest stars being Q and Guinan. I also am a major fan of Lenorad Nimoy's incredible music, he was one seriously underrated talent, a great actor, director and musician.

11. Kevin G. Chapman

Kevin G. Chapman Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I am late to this party, which is fitting because I was a late adopter of TNG. I refused to watch the first season when it originally aired because I thought it was sacrilege to make a "new" Star Trek. But I heard good things and started watching TNG in its second season, then had to try to catch up with the first season's episodes when they ran re-runs. There are still a few I've never seen. I started video taping the episodes so I could go back and watch them in sequence and I've never stopped watching. Patrick Stewart and the rest of the cast made it work. When I saw "The Naked Now" where they writers linked back to the TOS episode, I was sold.

I'm a lawyer and live in New Jersey. I'm a life-long sci-fi reader and I'm also now a fiction author (recently crime-thrillers, not sci-fi, although I have a space opera in progress). Trek is all about story-telling, and for the most part they do it so very well.

12. May 20

May 20 Consumer of cookies and milk Premium Member

Hi! Welcome to board!

The episode that hooked me was "The Arsenal of Freedom".

13. Night Shade

Night Shade Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hello everyone. My name is Night Shade, and TNG is my favorite Trek series. I love the psychological suspense episodes, like Frame of Mind (my absolute favorite episode), and Remember Me. My favorite character is Data, and I have a soft spot for Barclay because I'm an awkward wallflower like he is.

14. May 20

May 20 Consumer of cookies and milk Premium Member

Welcome, Night Shade!

15. Kevin G. Chapman

Kevin G. Chapman Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Ltnt. Barclay was always an uncomfortable character for me. I was pleased that they brought him back in Voyager, but I never "liked" the character -- he made me twitchy, which means the actor did a good job!

16. Retrograde Orbit

Retrograde Orbit Lieutenant Red Shirt

Greetings, my name is Mark and I am a Star Trek fan...
    Although I grew up on TOS reruns, TNG is my favourite.
    Which probably explains my avatar!

Anyways, I’ve been a member for a long time, but not posted much over the years.
    Intending to change that. ;)

17. Marynator

Welcome Mark! Ooooh is that a picture of you dressed up as Mr Data?

18. Retrograde Orbit

Thank you and greetings. :)

It is my attempt, yep...

DeannaTroi, Marynator and Night Shade like this.
  19. Retrograde Orbit

Here's a better resolution image...

[​IMG]

20. Spectre Of The Fun

Spectre Of The Fun Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

TOS will always be my favorite but I love TNG. I recently upgraded to the complete series remastered blu ray. I was 16 when TNG premiered in 1987 and while I have seen the complete series many times since then it is really something to see it now remastered on HD TV.

I can find something to appreciate in all seven seasons and don't dislike seasons 1 and 2 as much as some. Looking forward to the new Picard series although I don't expect it to be TNG season 8.

DeannaTroi likes this.