Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old July 18 2014, 12:33 AM   #196
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Re: "Planet of the Titans" Revisited

Maurice wrote: View Post
It's hardly the worst shot in the movie, despite the hiccup, and given the rush they were in, it's unsurprising it's not better. Most people don't know this, but during post they compressed Luke's two trench runs into one, which cut out a lot of effects shots (giveaway: "They coming in much faster this time. We can't hold them.").

P.S. This is documented in The Making of Star Wars book and the two trench runs appear in the shooting script (not the one published in The Art of Star Wars, which was edited into a continuity script close to the finished film).
Even THE MAKING OF STAR WARS book has got a number of errors regarding names, along with a rather glaring omission -- no mention whatsoever of ILM being closed for ten days or so in later August or early September 1977 (this is a thing apart from the shutdown they mention happening in 76 -- we're talking about the whole project being reevaluated by Fox in terms of 'maybe we shouldn't spend any more money on this movie and just write it off,' which is pretty colossal, all things considered. The CFQ article kind of throws that fact away, but my CINEFEX #65 retrospective touches on it a bit more (not TOO thorough though, the editor cut my manuscript by nearly 50% for publication, owing to a lack of good images to balance the lengthy text.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 12:57 AM   #197
Maurice
Vice Admiral

I don't have that issue of CFQ, so this is news to me. I knew Fox considered not releasing it, but not the shutdown you mention.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2014, 12:28 AM   #198
trevanian
Rear Admiral

The very first interview I did for the CINEFEX piece was with Jon Erland, and he is the one who addressed it in the long version of the article (there is probably a little bit on it in the published version.) I do remember asking Dykstra and Edlund about it, but Dykstra was definitely remembering things in a creative way, very much at odds with his earlier interviews, and about a third of my Edlund interview (nearly an hour) was inaudible, so I really don't recall what he said about it.
Old July 19 2014, 12:49 AM   #199
Creepy Critter
Admiral

It's hardly the worst shot in the movie, despite the hiccup, and given the rush they were in, it's unsurprising it's not better. Most people don't know this, but during post they compressed Luke's two trench runs into one, which cut out a lot of effects shots (giveaway: "They coming in much faster this time. We can't hold them.").

P.S. This is documented in The Making of Star Wars book and the two trench runs appear in the shooting script (not the one published in The Art of Star Wars, which was edited into a continuity script close to the finished film).
Thanks for clarifying the shooting script situation, because I was going to ask about that, knowing how the one in Art reads. That line did always stand out to me for exactly the reason you state, since even if they'd been talking about what they saw from above about Red Leader's trench run, one would expect them to have said it some other way, without suggesting it was something they'd personally experienced.
Old July 19 2014, 12:52 AM   #200
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I knew the line was referencing a scene we'd never see, but I also think it works in the film as it is, as Red Leader tried it as well. It's a line that adds just that extra bit of tension.. which is sorely lacking in many modern day films
Old July 19 2014, 01:02 AM   #201
Creepy Critter
Admiral

Any complaint I have about is essentially trivial, after rewatching the film too many times to frequently admit to.

Oh, one other thing I wanted to ask. Was combining Luke's two trench runs into one one of Marcia Lucas's contributions?
Old July 19 2014, 03:01 AM   #202
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

It seems like a decision made late in the game.. either in editorial or just to reduce the SFX shots ILM had to produce.. in any case I think it's better.

Some critics, even Ebert, noticed that the ending battle took too long as it is.. (while still loving the film)
Old July 19 2014, 10:49 AM   #203
Maurice
Vice Admiral

I don't recall whose idea it was. I'd have to scan through the book again.

That's one of several odd artifacts in the battle, such as the references to "that tower", which we never see.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old July 19 2014, 01:06 PM   #204
trevanian
Rear Admiral

I assume that tower is one of those surface cannons that show up briefly in closeup. None of the Rebels in the trench get shot down on camera by anything coming from in front of them though (maybe that is why their deflectors are on 'double front?), only by TIEs from behind, so maybe they lost somebody from a surface mount on the first pass (Haven't read the script, just guessing.)
Old July 19 2014, 07:55 PM   #205
Creepy Critter
Admiral

That's one of several odd artifacts in the battle, such as the references to "that tower", which we never see.
Another good catch. That's actually more glaring than the other line.

trevanian wrote: View Post
I assume that tower is one of those surface cannons that show up briefly in closeup. None of the Rebels in the trench get shot down on camera by anything coming from in front of them though (maybe that is why their deflectors are on 'double front?), only by TIEs from behind, so maybe they lost somebody from a surface mount on the first pass (Haven't read the script, just guessing.)
Yes to all.
Old July 23 2014, 11:35 AM   #206
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Recently ran across this McQuarrie sketch which appears related to some of the other Titans renderings.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old July 24 2014, 11:42 PM   #207
publiusr
Commodore

New site here
http://losttrek.weebly.com/virtual-study-model.html
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote