If Marvel bought Star Trek, would you like it..?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Roald, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I felt so envious when I saw Marvel's schedule for the upcoming 10 years, I wish Trek would have something as ambitious... So I was thinking, what if Marvel (Disney) would buy Star Trek as part of their franchise..? The idea of a diverse crew aboard a starship, each displaying their own unique talents, already is Marvelesque in nature... Characters like Worf, Data, Spock, Seven of Nine, etc. are, in a way, superheroes already... What do you think..??

2. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I think Disney already owns a more lucrative space franchise (Star Wars) and they'd probably lose money on trek.

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

This.

But I would probably prefer their take to thecurrent one...

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

No. I don't need to be beaten over the head with Star Trek. After the oversaturation of the 90's, I'm more than happy to have a film every three years with the occasional novel and comic mixed in.

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Star Trek in a movie theater has always seemed like a franchise out of its element to me. It works better on television.

6. BillJ

It evolved into a movie franchise when I was eight-years old. It works equally well for me on the small- or big-screen. Though as I'm getting older, I'm liking it more and more on the big-screen exclusively.

7. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I've always thought that Trek movies should be bigger in scale, more action-oriented, and faster-paced than TV episodes, so Marvel (or rather Disney) produced Trek movies would have suited me perfectly.

But I think it wouldn't have been a case of Marvel buying Trek but Disney acquiring a license to make Trek movies from CBS (so long Paramount, nice to have known ya).

8. Search4

Search4 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We would get "agents of federation" on tv. But the movies would be awesome.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Disney made Trek movies, I think their content would be very similar to Abrams' version (after all, they did hire him to direct Star Wars VII following the critical and commercial success of his Trek revival). Although perhaps they wouldn't allow the direct "drone weapons are illegal and immoral" slam against the US government?

Take away the legal quagmire between Paramount and CBS and there would probably be a Bad Robot-produced Trek spin off series running now.

10. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

It's not really a legal quagmire as it is just a case that one owns the right to make a new Trek series and the other doesn't. If supposed rumors are true, some people at Bad Robot may have forgot they were playing with other people's toys and got a reminder of that.

We kind of live in an age now where the business aspect of the entertainment business (who owns what and who can do what) is becoming more and more a factor in some large IPs like Trek and the various Marvel superhero films (which makes any issues between CBS and Paramount look like a picnic, IMO).

11. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

If the ladies are as smoking as they seem to almost universally be in "agents of used-to-be-shield" - I'm up for that.

12. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd love to see Disney take on Trek. Better marketing, better merchandising, more films, theme parks, etc.

It's a total pipe dream though.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Disney gave us John Carter.

14. BillJ

But would the material be good? There is nothing up there that matters if the material isn't worth watching.

15. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

Which was an awesome movie, and a great take on the character and books.

16. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After the 2009 movie proved that STAR TREK of old is out, then anything goes, now - and that's compelling to me. STAR TREK has always hawked "exploration of the unknown," now the franchise really gets to do it after half a century and it's about time, too. If MARVEL ends up owning this property, then yeah, I'll like it. What's come before is a foundation - and fortunately, a very strong foundation. Along the way, Gene Roddenberry's vision has left the rooms of STAR TREK vacant. Now, in its place are Fresh Ideas and Innovations in this particular brand of entertainment. And why shouldn't we be excited if another entity owns STAR TREK, eventually, even BAD ROBOT? They want our money and to get it, they're going to have to keep STAR TREK fun and timely and different. An equitable trade, if you ask me. Not too bad. Not too bad, at all ...

17. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

This scenario would mean Star Trek characters in Disney Infinity. So yes.

It's not realistic for reasons mentioned upthread.

18. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

You have. Her name was Ezri Dax, about the most Disney-fied trek character i've ever seen.

19. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Yeah, I hated it when she would randomly break out into song.

20. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or Kingdom Hearts, for that matter...

Spock: I have been, and always shall be, your friend ... Sora, Donald, Goofy.

Oh c'mon, now you're exaggerating; that scene where the Tribbles come in to help her clean up Quark's bar is classic.