Roddenberry's Worst Ideas

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by ZapBrannigan, Mar 16, 2013.

1. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If there were no turbolifts there would have to be stairwells. Imagine how long it would have taken Spock to carry Kirk and McCoy up the stairs to deck 78. :lol:

2. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Imagine how funny it would have been seeing him use the rocket boosters to zoom through the stairwells.

--Sran

3. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

4. Captain Clark Terrell

:rommie:

--Sran

5. robau

robau Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That makes no sense to me. The only reason to put up with the taste of beer is for the intoxication.

6. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually it make 100% sense to have no real alcohol on a star ship.
    I mean you dont want the crew to go off duty to a party get pissed then a borg ships appears?

Anyway I though synthahol did have intoxicating effects but they went rather quickly. So rather than knocking back beers and then waiting hours before you can drive. You can still knock those beers back then wait 30mins then drive!

7. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm very sorry for your experience, but have you considered that the alcohol wasn't the source of the problem and the fault stemmed directly from your brother?

If space were that limited, then get rid of the corridors too and just have interconnecting rooms. You would also eliminate private living quarters for all but the most senior officers, I mean Lieutenant Uhura had a pair of private connecting rooms. Apparently space aboard the ship isn't that constrained.

The turbo lifts are the ship's transportation system, in addition to personal, they likely move equipment and freight about the ship too. They're not just taxi cabs, they're delivery trucks.

Judging by Scotty's immediate reaction to what he drank, I don't believe it tasted "similar."

The entire crew doesn't go off duty at the same time, and it's unlikely that all the ones off duty at any one time are drinking to the point they're intoxicated.

Not all beers taste the same, the flavors and textures vary pretty widely. Plus certain foods are accentuated by alcohol, spicy with beer, fish with wine, steak with scotch.

:)

8. Crazyewok

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  9. T'Girl

I believe I understand you point, and while I can respect where it's coming from, I don't agree with your position.

Don't get me wrong. I can easily see there being a regulation prohibiting drinking to the point where you're impaired and couldn't perform your duties if suddenly recalled to duty.

But that not the same as completely eliminating all alcohol on board.

On those rare occasions that you're allowed to drink on US Navy ships (beer day), you must be at least four hours away from your next assigned duty shift.

Any Human? Again we disagree, by the 24th century having a genetic predisposition toward alcoholism will have been either solved or at least be identifiable, those so identified would need to engage in personal responsibility and self control.

Others who became alcoholics through deliberate actions would likely either be given treatment, or asked to resign. I would imagine this would be the case with any form of substance abuse or disruptive personal behavior.

The "best way" would be to have people who you can trust around alcohol.

Wouldn't selecting people capable of self control be better still? This attribute would extend not just to drink, but other areas.

You missing something. These people aren't just going out on a six month deployment to sea, they are living years and decades of their lives aboard the starships and at the starbases to which they're assigned.

There was no sign that consuming the Romulan Ale in any way slowed or altered the officers responses. While Kirk and Chekov both were experiencing headaches (and maybe body aches), their abilities to preform their duties was intact. And Scotty showed no effects at all, neither did McCoy.

10. Captain Clark Terrell

Scotty was made of sterner stuff.

--Sran

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

In that case, your issue is with the goofy and incredibly impractical shape of Trek's spaceships. If Trek suddenly started having sensibly shaped vessels, it just wouldn't be the same.

12. Crazyewok

But why would you need Alcahol with synathol onboard? If you cant do without the real booze then you have a problem.
    And if synthahol existed then I bet beer day would be replaced with synthahol where ever whenever.

Well yeah but sythahol onboard works.

Well again YOU HAVE SYNTHAHOL if you want to stay at home and booze up all day then dont join starfleet. Otherwise have synthahol that does the same thing but which side go quicker and isnt addictive.

So even though my repsonses seem ok after a few beers I should be ok to drive even though Im over the Drink driveing limit? Thats ok is it?
    Same with driveing hung over? That ok even though its shown to impair responses (normaly if hung over your still over the limit anyway?). No maybe it would not have made a diffrence in the situation but the principle still the same. And they did get caught out as the fact they were still probably slightly intoxicated was brought out in the trial, so it gave the klingons fuel to use.

13. robau

robau Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Meh. Different beers simply taste like different variations of shit to me. Except one I had which was called sour & sweet. Apparently that wasn't very popular at the brewpub though.

14. marksound

Synthehol was just something they made up to sound futuristic, but we have it already. It's called "non-alcoholic" or "near" beer and "virgin" drinks.

I'm pretty sure that in the 24th century there are rules regarding the consumption of alcohol by ship's crew, just like there are in today's military.

The premise of the discussion, in my opinion, is a little ridiculous.

15. T'Girl

Which is a good enough reason to move on.

16. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was Voyager's "Dark Frontier" in which Tom Paris said that the "new world economy" took over in the late 22nd century, eliminating money. TOS referenced money in "Errand of Mercy" and "Trouble With Tribbles", then Kirk said they don't use money in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, and then Scotty mentioned buying a boat in STVI: The Undiscovered Country. Most recently, Kirk offered to pay for Uhura's drink in Star Trek.

It's a little muddled, to say the least.

18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

DS9 makes it clear that money is alive and well in both the Federation and the galaxy, and that the no money thing is confined to humanity, as a whole. DS9: In the Cards even ridicules the idea of a money-less society, comparing it, in so many words, to a whacked-out hippie commune.

19. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

I had always assumed that "no money" did not preclude having (electronic or virtual) currency. Within the Federation, currency would not be a commodity in itself, but that individual would still be credited for their labors and contributions. Within larger governments (first, United Earth, second, UFP), currency could exist as a measure of exchanges on an abstract level, as along as all the members agree to standards for earnings and exchanges. It would only be a problem when UFP citizens made contracts with those from other governments. The only time money was used was on DS9, and even then it seemed that Starfleet personel were not eager to conduct business in "latinum," but preferred to exchange materials.

20. marksound

This.

There has to be some measure of exchange.